Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend an FTP Program To Me (Or Help With FTP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend an FTP Program To Me (Or Help With FTP)

My site was moved not long ago and I've been having to use FTP to update and such.

To get to the FTP I would just put the address into the browser and go on from there. Really easy, had no problem. Well, recently (a couple weeks I think) it hasn't been working.

I open a browser, put in the address, and the browser goes all 'Not Responding' and that's it.

It's this computer because I tried it on my sister's laptop (four feet behind me) and it works fine.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good FTP program that would work for me, a more helpful, what the problem is, and how to fix it.

I haven't a clue. My mom was all over the computer just a little while ago trying to figure it out, and we got nothing.

Help me Gateworld Forumers, you're my only hope...

Seriously.

Please?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

I use SmartFTP, iv tride them all and i think this is the best, www.smartftp.com

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Originally posted by Replicarter
      I use SmartFTP, iv tride them all and i think this is the best, www.smartftp.com
      LMAO!

I was just in the middle of downloading that!

Comment

I know you are, because im watching you *imagine evil looking watching eyes*

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

I use WS-FTP. It's good to know this one if you work in IT, because it's often used in professional settings. I originally started using it because it allowed me to easily do a "chmod" for perl files as I transferred them to the server. I've never see SmartFTP, so I don't know if it has this feature.

Later,
          Graculus

Comment

Thanks for the help, but my mom went through it again, and it turns out it that firewall that's with Windows XP Service Pack 2 was blocking it.

All is well now

Comment

XP SP2 is evil! For one site, I couldn't even use WS-FTP! I even turned the XP firewall off. Microsoft said I had to uninstall SP2, and that ticked me off because last time I did a big SP uninstall, my OS crashed. There should have been a general broadcast about the possible impact on FTP so people could take action to prevent the SP2 update. Grrrr. I don't know why there hasn't been a huge outcry about this, either. I've met several people who have had this problem, so I suspect the issue is widespread.

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
                XP SP2 is evil! For one site, I couldn't even use WS-FTP! I even turned the XP firewall off. Microsoft said I had to uninstall SP2, and that ticked me off because last time I did a big SP uninstall, my OS crashed. There should have been a general broadcast about the possible impact on FTP so people could take action to prevent the SP2 update. Grrrr. I don't know why there hasn't been a huge outcry about this, either. I've met several people who have had this problem, so I suspect the issue is widespread.

Later,
                Graculus
                Well, I don't think that new updates would work without Service Pack 2. And if you don't have it and are thinking about getting it, get it now, or else you'll have to pay for it.

Comment

The issue is that I couldn't FTP my web site with XP SP2, and the only choice Microsoft gave me was to install it - even after I complained about what happened the last time I uninstalled an SP. There's nothing that either Microsoft or my site host could do to solve the problem: or so they tell me...

Later,
                  Graculus

Comment

FlashFXP

Comment

I use FileZilla. It's free and open source.

Comment

Originally posted by graculus

Later,
                        Graculus
                        I use ws-ftp on xp with sp2 and never had any problems...weird. I didn't start ftp until after sp2 though. Maybe that made a difference.

Comment

I could FTP to all the places I normally go, except for one particular host server. For this one, I could make the outgoing port connection, but the remote server would try to make a return connection on a random high port number. Since the number was random, I couldn't just punch a hole in the Firewall for it. What makes me mad is SP2 still disallowed this even when I turned the Firewall off. I couldn't modify it to suit my needs. My web host is a pretty large one, so I'm sure other people had this problem. There are a lot of complaints on FTP message boards.

Later,
                          Graculus

Comment

SP2 is evil in general, no need to pick out a single thing about it. Pure evil I tell you

Comment

Working...
                            X