No announcement yet.

"we'll never be done"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This forum is for opinions...they don't have to be proven, just respected.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      This forum is for opinions...they don't have to be proven, just respected.
      Well, it's good I haven't disrespected anyone's opinion, Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        what i see with Rush is a reprise of JR Ewing....a master manipulator that got away with it week after week after week. who spins and twists to keep that tiny bit of deniability out there. who uses, abuses and discards just to get his way. People like Rush thrive by engendering sympathy from some, then spinning things so they're ALWAYS the victim. Someone is always picking on them, always making their life tough, always being unreasonable. They perpetually play 'poor widdle me' because it allows them to continually get away with abusing others.
        There is absolutely no evidence of this anywhere in the series or in how the character acts or speaks.

What you say about someone who is always playing the 'poor me' card applies to Eli, not Rush. Rush has never once asked for any sympathy from anyone. Eli on the other hand, drives me absolutely insane. He's childish, immature, and it's always poor Eli, my mom is sick and my dad left, so I couldn't do something useful with my life like finish school or even get a job. Grow up - if you wanted to help your Mom, get a job, finish school and get a better paying job, and support her instead of sitting on your ass playing video games while she supports you. Eli drives me potty.

Rush is obsessed with the science -- but that's clearly in character. It's not an unexpected trait for a genius scientist. Additionally, it's made obvious from the start that he's still grieving deeply for his wife and I would strongly suspect that he's burying his grief into the work. He doesn't like people in his personal space and he's rather antisocial, but that doesn't make him a bad person. It's Young who twists everything. That ridiculous accusation that Rush knew that Destiny could fly through a star and survive - just because Rush didn't want to play social niceties - that's Young's paranoia.

Rush says clearly that he doesn't care what people think of him. He completely pragmatic, focuses on getting the necessary thing done. Look how he interacts with TJ - he's completely respectful of her. He respects competence. He's the same way with his scientists and with Eli. When you're being incompetent and stupid, he calls you on it. When you've gotten something right, he tells you that too. That's his problem with Young - Young is both incompetent and paranoid - Young's losing it more and more, episode by episode.

And Rush has more than once admitted that he was wrong. He says it straight out in both "Light" and "Water." Very matter-of-fact. 'I got that wrong, now we know what the facts are, let's deal with them.' And he NEVER whines or shows any self-pity. Eli and Chloe have the corner on that.

Rush is the one saving grace of this series. Without him, I'd probably abandon it like I did Stargate Atlantis. Well, Rush, TJ and Greer. And notice that those two have developed respectful relationships with Rush.

Comment

Seems to me that Rush has no desire to be 'in command'. I think he'd go nuts if he had to deal with administrative trivia and personnel issues. He's bad at those things and he's smart enough and pragmatic enough to recognize that. He only 'took command' at the beginning because O'Neill ordered him to handle the initial arrival chaos and he gave it over to Scott and Young as soon as possible. When he attempts to push Young out, his goal is to make Wray step up, not take command himself. All he wants - all he has ever shown any sign of wanting - is to do the science. He prefers to work alone, but he'll collaborate when he has to. He's purely, solely, completely focused on the science - on understanding and gaining control of Destiny itself as an amazing piece of technology. Yes, he's obsessed with that - and I relate that to his obvious grief at his wife's death - he looks very much to me like someone who has turned his grief and pain into an obsessive focus on his work. As he tells Eli in "Time" - life's short, everyone dies, so what matters is what you accomplish during the time you have.

Having Rush dial the 9th Chevron from Icarus was a plot device to create the show. My best interpretation of his 'motives' were part of it was obsession on his part, part of it was the fact that when Icarus blew, it was very likely to take a good part of whatever planet they dialed with it. It was only the distance to Destiny that saved them. But regardless, can't really blame the character for a necessary plot device - that's just a writing bump.

I thought Young's behavior at the end of "Light" was the cause of the entire problem between him and Rush. Rush had actually softened after he recovered and he gave Young an honest glimpse into himself when he told him that 'Destiny is my destiny'. Young betrays that with an obviously ridiculous and false accusation - an accusation made solely because Rush isn't social. He's uncomfortable in social situations, he'd rather work on real problems than sit around wasting time doing something he doesn't like to do. Not wanting to join in the 'party' is no excuse for paranoid accusations that are patently wrong - and which betray Rush's confidence in being open and honest with Young in that shuttle scene. Rush opened the door between them - Young slammed it in face. Then you add in all the spying and stalking that Young was doing - and that Rush had to be aware of - the constant accusations. Rush is actually trying to save Young's life in 'Water' - telling him not to sacrifice himself - and gets nothing but accusations in return. It's no surprise that Rush realizes that Young is losing it and that Young can't be trusted.

And I would've done the same thing as Rush on the planet when Young is beating him up. I'd never bow down to some bully who thinks beating me up - violence - is the only solution.

We're going to learn a lot more about these characters, but I really like Rush. He's complex, interesting, individualistic, has a great deal of inner emotional stuff going on, and he's absolutely brilliant. Very deep character.

Comment

They won't be done. In the next episode Rush will rebel Young. I hope this time Young will be left on some barren planet and will never come back.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              Cheesiest line of the series thus far!

But to answer your question, I think he'd have taken him back with him, the look on his face when he asked the question made me think he genuinely wanted to know the answer.
              well young doesn't want to have to keep fighting with him for control of the ship and always having information withheld that could help the crew. young should realize that rush is the crews best chance at getting home
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                well young doesn't want to have to keep fighting with him for control of the ship and always having information withheld that could help the crew. young should realize that rush is the crews best chance at getting home
                And I bet Young realizes that. The question, however, is: Can Rush get them home? And if he can, will he?
                A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                  And I bet Young realizes that. The question, however, is: Can Rush get them home? And if he can, will he?
                  Only he Rush can stay/come back. Destiny is his life
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Only he Rush can stay/come back. Destiny is his life
                    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                      huh?
                      Rush would only help others get back to Earth if he can stay on Destiny
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Rush would only help others get back to Earth if he can stay on Destiny
                        Oh yes, now I understand. Sorry, the "if" was missing in the previous post, and I didn't realize there should be an "if" there. No, you're quite right, that might be a big issue for Rush. Of course, now it'd be hard to go back to Destiny without Rush after all the experience he has now.

Comment

We'll never be done. They won't. Rush is sooooooooooo gonna steal Greer's gun and just shoot him. Of course, after that, Greer will crush him.
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                          X