"we'll never be done"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"we'll never be done"

this is not a topic about the morality of Young's actions or lack thereof (plenty of those around) but rather a "what if" topic about what Young would've done if Rush hadn't spoken that last sentence

in other words whether Young still would've left him on that planet or not

at first I'd have said he'd made up his mind from the start to "permanently dispose" of Rush (be it by leaving him on the planet, or later via some other means)

now tbh I'm not sure

the writers are of course the only ones to know for sure, so if perchance anyone here interviewed one of them on their blogs over this matter it'd be interesting to know what they replied
    Last edited by SoulReaver; 13 December 2009, 08:30 AM.

Cheesiest line of the series thus far!

But to answer your question, I think he'd have taken him back with him, the look on his face when he asked the question made me think he genuinely wanted to know the answer.

Comment

I think that's one of those lines people are supposed to remember until S1.5 starts. It will be forgotten by then by the writers. It's just a cliffhanger thing IMHO - or a really angry Rush. Remember LOST and how people speculated and interpreted everything from cloud patterns to every word uttered by anyone.

Where did it all lead?

Nowhere, right. Mark my words, this was one of those lines

Comment

I don't think the statement was just a gimmick. The build-up between Rush and Young finally spilled over into violence.

I think that, given his inability to retaliate physically for the beating he got, Rush retaliated verbally out of frustration. And as I've mentioned before, I do believe his fury was enough to override his common sense, because he hates having his personal space invaded, or being touched. He's obviously intimidated by the soldiers.

I think, though, if he hadn't said that...he wouldn't have been left. I think Young expected Rush to apologize, or at least stop defying him, after he received his punishment. That Rush was still so defiant, more so than ever, showed that Young had not defeated him, that he'd still do what he's been doing (right or wrong, doesn't matter. He and Young work at cross purposes for the most part.)

They would have gone back to the ship together, they'd have lied together about what happened. Rush doesn't want his lie to become known, surely. Or, perhaps, the evidence against Rush would have been used in a criminal trial. I somehow doubt this, though; if that were true, the beating wouldn't have been 'necessary.'
        From there on out, Rush would be forced to do what Young told him to, having this damning evidence. It'd be like blackmail.

Comment

Originally posted by valerius View Post
          I think that's one of those lines people are supposed to remember until S1.5 starts. It will be forgotten by then by the writers. It's just a cliffhanger thing IMHO - or a really angry Rush. Remember LOST and how people speculated and interpreted everything from cloud patterns to every word uttered by anyone.

Where did it all lead?

Nowhere, right. Mark my words, this was one of those lines
          Uh, plenty of stuff on Lost has gone somewhere. Just because people got a bit too obsessive and tried to read into stuff they weren't meant to read into, isn't the writers' fault.

Not sure how this is anything like the same kind of thing anyway, SGU's hardly got the same kind of format.

Anyway...

Yeah, I'm with KEK. I think Young really was giving Rush one last chance, but Rush basically said he was going to keep pulling this kind of crap, and Young felt he had to do what he did.

Comment

I thinks events would have unfolded exactly the same, Young already decided before they went on the planet to dispose of rush.

If he didnt want to dispose of him, hed just unmask his machinations publicly on board the ship, the second he saw that kino footage.
            Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

I think, had rush said 'yeah, we're done', then young woulda pulled him up and they would have went back to the gate, with or without a 'but we need to study this ship/we don't have time' argument.

but when rush said 'we'll never be done' he was saying 'i will never stop trying to get control' and that's when young said 'to heck with this crap, i don't got time to deal with this' and he decided to leave him
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
                I thinks events would have unfolded exactly the same, Young already decided before they went on the planet to dispose of rush.

If he didnt want to dispose of him, hed just unmask his machinations publicly on board the ship, the second he saw that kino footage.
                If he simply wanted rid of Rush, why didn't he just shoot him as soon as Volker and the others were gone? Honestly, is it really so unrealistic that Young would want to confront Rush alone, without Wray's interference, and talk to him about what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                  If he simply wanted rid of Rush, why didn't he just shoot him as soon as Volker and the others were gone? Honestly, is it really so unrealistic that Young would want to confront Rush alone, without Wray's interference, and talk to him about what happened?

I agree, I don't think Young's original intent was to kill Rush or otherwise remove him.

Comment

Probably drag back to the ship with Rush's ego a little brusied.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                      Because a missing round from his gun/bloodsplatter would be easier to connect than a "rockslide".

Might be that Young just spontaneously wanted to talk, sure, but i didnt get that impression from the scene and what lead up to it.

Also im not saying he necessarily planed to kill rush, he wanted him "removed". As in removed from the playing-field. By what means, that he chose when he let Rush lie there unconscious.
                      Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post

I'd have to rewatch the scene to be sure, but from what I currently remember, I agree with this statement. Young got this look on his face when he saw the Kino footage...

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
                          I'd have to rewatch the scene to be sure, but from what I currently remember, I agree with this statement. Young got this look on his face when he saw the Kino footage...
                          Maybe it's one of those things where, when viewing the footage and discovering Rush's actions, he made an unconscious decision to remove him, and wasn't aware of it until the crucial moment. He might have fooled himself into thinking he was just going to confront Rush, maybe kick his ass, and settle things once and for all. The real motive, he became aware of after knocking Rush out.

I don't think that's how it happened, but it's possible.

Comment

I think it was already decided.

Young: Are we done?
                            Rush: We'll never be done.
                            *PUNCH!

Young: Are we done?
                            Rush: Yes.
                            Young: You are damn right we are done!
                            *PUNCH!

Comment

Funny, SSJPabs

But I think it is unlikely. Has Young ever given reason to doubt he would've given Rush a fair go? He's put up with Rush's previous irritations (not sure if that's the right word) towards him so far. I am certain he would've said and done nothing more if Rush had just let his desire for control drop.
                              "Wøøf!"

Comment

Working...
                              X