This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the IOA still allowed to exist?

I mean, seriously... they aren't exactly needed anymore. The fact that they are still allowed to order the SG personnel around is laughable. There are several reasons why they aren't needed anymore:
    • Atlantis is on Earth (As far as we know)
    • No big bad (Goa'uld, Ori, etc) = no need for extra funding
    • The annoyance they cause to the Air Force

At this point the U.S. Government could cut off the rest of the world from participation in the Stargate program, kick all international personnel out of Atlantis, and tell the IOA bureaucrats to take a hike and there's really nothing they could do about it. I'm not advicating U.S. only participation in the Stargate program, but the IOA model doesn't work and something else would need to be negotiated, especially since none of the other countries have any significant leverage.

The point is that there is no logical reason the IOA should not be allowed to exist any longer. They seem to only be around as a point of contention at this point anyway. They should be done away with. Soon.

Originally posted by Arturis View Post
    At this point the U.S. Government could cut off the rest of the world from participation in the Stargate program, kick all international personnel out of Atlantis.
    Right. Gogo world peace?

Comment

I mean, seriously... they aren't exactly needed anymore. The fact that they are still allowed to order the SG personnel around is laughable. There are several reasons why they aren't needed anymore:
      • Atlantis is on Earth (As far as we know)
      • No big bad (Goa'uld, Ori, etc) = no need for extra funding
      • The annoyance they cause to the Air Force

At this point the U.S. Government could cut off the rest of the world from participation in the Stargate program, kick all international personnel out of Atlantis, and tell the IOA bureaucrats to take a hike and there's really nothing they could do about it. I'm not advicating U.S. only participation in the Stargate program, but the IOA model doesn't work and something else would need to be negotiated, especially since none of the other countries have any significant leverage.

The point is that there is no logical reason the IOA should not be allowed to exist any longer. They seem to only be around as a point of contention at this point anyway. They should be done away with. Soon.
      Yes, because civilian oversight is such a blight upon the world...
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

At this point the U.S. Government could cut off the rest of the world from participation in the Stargate program, kick all international personnel out of Atlantis, and tell the IOA bureaucrats to take a hike and there's really nothing they could do about it.
        Oh, I don't know about that.

They could, you know...tell the world about the Stargate.

Comment

Last time I checked, due to increased focus on 304 production by the Air Force, the IOA stood for 80% of the SGC's budget. I think it would have quite the impact on current operations if it was to be disolved.

There's also the possiblity that the IOA members would disclose the existense of the stargate to the public if they would be kicked out of the decision making process anymore. Then we'd probably have a scenario simmilar to the one in "The Road Not Taken" on our hands.
          sigpic

Comment

Why do the UN still exist?

Seriously, the US shouldn't runt he Stargate program by themselves... and they can't because they can't afford too. Ohh and, because they had to tell the major world leaders about it, and do you think Russia, or China will not tell the entire world about its existence if they were cut out of the program?
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Yeah I say trash can the IOA. They are useless.

Comment

i want the pentagon to control the sgc again
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

What about President Hayes? Is that guy still around. Such a goofie guy but always seemed to do whatever Hammond suggested.
                  Last edited by jcainhaze; 07 December 2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Quite simply, it's money. The IOA gets the money that runs the entire gate program.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                      What about President Hayes? Is that guy still around. Such a goofie guy but always seemed to do whatever Hammond sugested.
                      Hmmm... Who knows. If so, he's late into his second term since he would have been elected in 2004 (SG-1 "Inauguration"). Hammond, unfortunately, is gone though. R.I.P Don Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                        Quite simply, it's money. The IOA gets the money that runs the entire gate program.
                        Actually, it was only 20% a few years ago, circa SG-1 season 10. The U.S. government apparently fronts the rest. Therefore the IOA should only get 20% input instead of the apparent 100% they get now.

Comment

Actually, it was only 20% a few years ago, circa SG-1 season 10. The U.S. government apparently fronts the rest. Therefore the IOA should only get 20% input instead of the apparent 100% they get now.
                          They probably just use the threat of exposing the program to ensure the United States allows them the degree of control they have, money or not.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

It has never made sense to me why the IOA has so much control over the SGC, yet very little control over the Atlantis Expedition (besides choosing the civilian leadership). One would think that it would be that way, considering that Atlantis is an international base (and yet throughout much of SGA, the SGC has been shown to be in control). And in Universe, I don't really understand either, considering that all of the personnel are Americans (save Rush).
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

IMO, the IOA needs to be nuked.

Comment

Working...
                              X