Fans of Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans of Young

I'm reading through and I get a lot of "Love Rush" as a villian,and I understand it, and even agree. but I'm honest suprised to see the anti-Young sentiment.

Granted Young is no O'neil, but he was never written to be, (unlike Shephard was.) Young strikes me as a 'good man'. Yes, he made mistakes in the past (the affair with TJ) but he stepped up, was honest, and he's trying to fly right. I think that takes a lot of strength and I'm glad they are showing that. Especially, in the face of all the broken relationships, how easy it would be to get back with TJ, I find it admirable that he's trying to do the right thing.

As far as Young in charge... that's another thread but basically yes. He was Commanding officer of these same people on the other side of the gate so why should it change now. And he's doing a decent job. As noted in Kino footage, focusing on Food, water, etc. for survival. Hey that's not a bad plan.

He ordered a physical fitness program started up. That makes sense.
    1.) He has soldiers he needs to keep in shape.
    2.) Exercise is just plain healthy anyway.
    3.) The program will help create regularity, and regularity will help keep sanity.

Some people boo the military in charge but you know what, read history. The military, and the military command structure is the oldest and simplest, most reliable and most effective command structure in history. The military gets stuff done.
    But there's no enemy to fight.
    Wrong. This is a man vs nature story. A journey for survival, at least right now, and the military is the most trained in survival. "It is food people! It will keep you A-live!" The way I say , if it the soldiers are keeping themselves alive and a lot of civilians get a free ride with them, that ain't bad!

I tried really hard to like Young. And some of us don't just like Rush 'as a villain.' More like an antagonist, towards Young at least, at this point. The 'other side', but not yet a villain. Depending on what you think his motives are.

Look, telling soldiers to eat up, exercise, and brush their teeth every night doesn't make Young a good commander. His unwillingness to abandon his men comes closer to that. But after he went out on the town using his superior's body to have sex with his wife, beat Telford up using another person's body, and left Rush to die a slow, painful death? For now, I'm not on his side. Maybe he'll become a good leader.

So far, all he did was prove to me that Rush was right about him, imho. This is coming from someone with a military family. War makes villains of all men involved, depending on your POV. He's got to change before I'll side with him.

Comment

I like Young as a character in the same manner I like many of the other characters. He's not perfect by any stretch of the means and has clearly made some mistakes and has issues that he's dealing with. I like that he is not a perfect leader character.

I appreciate that TPTB are giving us very flawed characters and that those flaws are prominent in the show.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Everyone has flaws, and like Avenger said, TPTB are making them much more apparent than in the previous stargates.

Personally I think Young and Rush are great characters, and they will be fighting this battle for quite some time. Then again... there might be another race on the horizon forcing them to play nice together, at least for a little while.

Comment

I'm sure I will like Young again, but not for a while. Trust me more people like Young than you think! Unfortunately, Chloe needs some more love....

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            I'm sure I will like Young again, but not for a while. Trust me more people like Young than you think! Unfortunately, Chloe needs some more love....
            yeah

I love Young's character he is a very descent leader all in all, who does not want to really step up, but finds himself forced into that role. Believe me I can understand somewhat where he is coming from. And he is a man with a huge temper, and while that is not a good thing I think its probably one of the better flaws.

He is like the OP said someone who is trying, desperatly, to do the right thing, and to get them all home no matter the cost. Personally I think something happened in his past that really forged this total aversion to sacrificing people, maybe a mission with the SGC?

And Young and Rush are interesting foils for one another. You have the man that is hell bent on saving as many as he can no matter the potential cost, and you have another who lives on the needs of the many, and forcing that on people no matter the risks. But yet they do use some of the same methods.

Young is also a character that seems to be big on symoblism, and shows of force, or of hope.

Comment

Originally posted by strods View Post
              I'm reading through and I get a lot of "Love Rush" as a villian,and I understand it, and even agree. but I'm honest suprised to see the anti-Young sentiment.

Granted Young is no O'neil, but he was never written to be, (unlike Shephard was.) Young strikes me as a 'good man'. Yes, he made mistakes in the past (the affair with TJ) but he stepped up, was honest, and he's trying to fly right. I think that takes a lot of strength and I'm glad they are showing that. Especially, in the face of all the broken relationships, how easy it would be to get back with TJ, I find it admirable that he's trying to do the right thing.

As far as Young in charge... that's another thread but basically yes. He was Commanding officer of these same people on the other side of the gate so why should it change now. And he's doing a decent job. As noted in Kino footage, focusing on Food, water, etc. for survival. Hey that's not a bad plan.

He ordered a physical fitness program started up. That makes sense.
              1.) He has soldiers he needs to keep in shape.
              2.) Exercise is just plain healthy anyway.
              3.) The program will help create regularity, and regularity will help keep sanity.

Some people boo the military in charge but you know what, read history. The military, and the military command structure is the oldest and simplest, most reliable and most effective command structure in history. The military gets stuff done.
              But there's no enemy to fight.
              Wrong. This is a man vs nature story. A journey for survival, at least right now, and the military is the most trained in survival. "It is food people! It will keep you A-live!" The way I say , if it the soldiers are keeping themselves alive and a lot of civilians get a free ride with them, that ain't bad!
              I do study history, and this isn't exactly true, it is not the oldest form of structure in a society,most would agree the family is the simplest form of command structure, aside from band and tribal structures that command more people, and it is not the most reliable. The reliability depends on the society and the military group, some are more reliable then others. There are far too many times in history the military was used to destabalize a government, used to forward another person's agenda, etc. Just like any form of command, be it tribal to civilization, they all have their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ARealArchaeologist View Post
                I do study history, and this isn't exactly true, it is not the oldest form of structure in a society,most would agree the family is the simplest form of command structure, aside from band and tribal structures that command more people, and it is not the most reliable. The reliability depends on the society and the military group, some are more reliable then others. There are far too many times in history the military was used to destabalize a government, used to forward another person's agenda, etc. Just like any form of command, be it tribal to civilization, they all have their problems.
                But the flip side is also true in a lot of militaries

Comment

Originally posted by col.foley View Post
                  but the flip side is also true in a lot of militaries

Comment

I like both the Rush and Young characters, and I have been defending Young's actions in Justice, but that doesn't mean I think it was the right thing to do.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                      I like both the Rush and Young characters, and I have been defending Young's actions in Justice, but that doesn't mean I think it was the right thing to do.
                      I feel a simliar way. I support Young's action but that doesn't mean it was right nor do I think Rush is a terrible character. It seems like a lesser of two evil.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                        I Understand Young's actions in Justice, but I really cannot defend him, though the smack down i thought was proper given the circumstances, though he should have not left Rush behind, just my two cents.

Comment

That's how I feel about both characters, sometimes I understand why they do what they do, but I don't think their actions right. They are human, and I think there are few of us who don't have terrible ideas or power struggles, but most of us have more control over our bodies, and our wants and needs.

Comment

Originally posted by ARealArchaeologist View Post
                            That's how I feel about both characters, sometimes I understand why they do what they do, but I don't think their actions right. They are human, and I think there are few of us who don't have terrible ideas or power struggles, but most of us have more control over our bodies, and our wants and needs.
                            Young just got fed up.

Honestly I get the sense of lately that he is a deeply disciplined man, that yet has a temper, but everything is piling up on him at once...this situation that he did not know. He is now in command of a ship that he does not want, he is now in commad of a crew that does not want him and he does not want to lead, he does not want to excersise his real power and authority for the reasons of his past (i think) he wants to be with his wife and try to be there to repair his relationship with her. He wants, so desperatly, to get that done, but yet Telford is there spreading lies about him, and he is trapped on the other side of the universe with no way to deal with that situation properly, and plus he has a bunch of malcontents on board the ship that are hell bent of undermining his authority every chance they get. I think he just cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                              Young just got fed up.

Honestly I get the sense of lately that he is a deeply disciplined man, that yet has a temper, but everything is piling up on him at once...this situation that he did not know. He is now in command of a ship that he does not want, he is now in commad of a crew that does not want him and he does not want to lead, he does not want to excersise his real power and authority for the reasons of his past (i think) he wants to be with his wife and try to be there to repair his relationship with her. He wants, so desperatly, to get that done, but yet Telford is there spreading lies about him, and he is trapped on the other side of the universe with no way to deal with that situation properly, and plus he has a bunch of malcontents on board the ship that are hell bent of undermining his authority every chance they get. I think he just cracked.
                              I agree with that, although I will say that I think his character has probably had control issues in the past, but kept them in check better. And the military discipline would have been a big contributing factor. Of course that is just speculation and my opinion. Now all the stress he is under with the ship command, and his wife is slowly breaking him down. I don't know how much longer he can put up with this constant mental barrage.

Comment

Working...
                              X