Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Rush were in charge, how would things be different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Rush were in charge, how would things be different?

Before Young was up and about, Rush endeavored to take command of Destiny. What if he had managed to remain in charge? How would the atmosphere aboard Destiny be different?

As it stands now, it seems that most of the crew are just sitting around waiting for someone to call a cab. Why aren't they taking advantage of where they are?

In the days of sailing ships, captains made sure their crews were constantly engaged in productive activities such as scrubbing the decks and polishing the brass. Aside from always having a clean ship, this was a good practice that discouraged the men from congregating and complaining. Do you remember what Cortez did to encourage his men to stop thinking of home and focus on the situation at hand? He burned their ships.

Icarus is burned up. There's no going home..."not yet," Rush tells them. A good commander would see to it that the crew was involved in more than just a few calisthenics and running laps. They'd all be learning as much as they could about the ship and its capabilities. What if they do get attacked? Anybody on board know how to aim and shoot?

As for morale, it's dropping at a dangerous rate. Volker has admitted to TJ that he was at the end of his rope. Spencer has committed suicide and Brody apparently feels it's worth his life to sit in The Chair.

If Rush were in charge, how different would life be aboard ship?

I don't think he would be spying on everyone with a Kino, the way that Young has ordered Eli to do. Smacks of Big Brother and CCTV.

Rush is more apt to divide people into teams and give them assignments. Putting together a science team was his first priority after Wray replaced Young. Earlier, he used the Marines to do a room-by-room search to look for something "interesting." That's when they found The Chair. And whether it was a stall tactic or not, he assigned Riley and Brody to repair systems that would allow for a safe firing of the ship's weapons. [Which, by the way, where is Riley?]

Rush has high expectations of everyone, including himself. Frustration and impatience are the mark of his intolerance for poor results. Therefore, the stress levels on Destiny are more apt to rest on pleasing Rush rather than with whom should I have sex tonight. On Icarus, it was clear that Rush "didn't play well with others." Rush's behavior might be somewhat altered now because he's found his destiny/Destiny. Being on board ship is where he wants to be and the ship's computer is the ultimate banquet -- if he could just reach under the sneeze guard!

He does have a measure of people skills. I think he just chooses not to use them. He did try to console Chloe after her father died. He did try to raise morale even if it was with false hope. The downside of this is that he would likely use what he knows about people against them. Maybe he said what he did to his science team on the chance that one of them would feel compelled to sit in the chair. He certainly scared the pants of Telford with a lights and sound display!

I would rather be on Destiny with Rush at the helm. Sure, he's caustic, but he's focused. Young is juggling a rocky marriage, an ended affair, an IOA insider, an arrogant fellow officer who wants his job, and a contempt for Rush. He doesn't know which direction he's going.

The other plus in favor of Rush is that he gets nicer when there are fewer people in his way and less rules to hinder him, but then, don't we all?
    sigpic

We would be dead at Rush's desire to explore his obessession
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Rush was grossly negligent when he proceeded with his experiment instead of getting people to safety. Rush has already doomed them.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
        Rush was grossly negligent when he proceeded with his experiment instead of getting people to safety. Rush has already doomed them.
        Knowing that Rush looks at things logically, consider how he might view the escape from Icarus:

1. Dial gate to Earth. Possible explosion through gate. No Earth. No 9th chevron discovery.
        2. Dial gate to another planet. Assuming no explosion, dial Earth. No 9th chevron discovery.
        3. Dial gate using 9th chevron. Other side is determined relatively safe. Step through and worry about how to get to Earth later.

As Rush sees it: Only option 3 gives him BOTH the 9th chevron discovery and the possible and eventual return to earth. So everyone is temporarily inconvenienced. They're alive! There are probably a dozen scientists on Earth who would give their eye teeth to be on Destiny.

To say that they are doomed is to suggest that they have no hope.

These people signed on to the project. Surely they were made aware of possible risks. Granted, being stranded in a galaxy far, far away wasn't likely on the list. Still, it would be in their best interest if they stopped grumbling, learned the Ancient, and sat down at the consoles to see if they could provide some help.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with Rush on almost everything he has done up to this point.

Colonel Young is a 15 year old trying to figure out what to do, so he is trying to give everyone the military discipline that keeps him from going over the edge.

It's not working for everyone. Rush made the comment of "You don't believe in the Mission". Young doesn't believe in the mission. He just wants to sit around and wait for the magical opportunity to get home to present itself. It's not going to present itself until he starts opening up to new options and different ideas. Plain and simple, Young is not the right man to command the people on that ship. He's too rigid in his thinking to be of any good to these people.

Wray reminds me of Weir. She is reasonable and is willing to approach things from a different angle, yet be objective enough to keep things from getting out of hand.

I also have to say, I'm getting tired of Scott. He is non-objective and couldn't POSSIBLY think of Young doing anything wrong. He was completely subservient, but I think he knows what Young did to Rush. I'm interested to see how that goes.

KlaxxonBlue

Comment

Originally posted by kansaikimono View Post
            As Rush sees it: Only option 3 gives him BOTH the 9th chevron discovery and the possible and eventual return to earth. So everyone is temporarily inconvenienced. They're alive! There are probably a dozen scientists on Earth who would give their eye teeth to be on Destiny.
            Rush does not want to return to Earth because he knows that he will not be allowed to return Destiny. While his knowledge of Ancient technology is a huge asset to the team’s success and he has been right several times when people have not trusted him.
            Spoiler:
            In Earth it was revealed that Telford's plan really wouldn't have worked even if they decided to go through with it.
            There is a reason people don't trust him though. He has been using lies and deception to further his goals ever since they set foot on the ship. At the same time though it makes you wonder what his motives are and why he does things the way he does. Perhaps they will show more back story for Rush in later episodes.

Comment

I have to agree, Rush has the right idea. While it seems his judgment is clouded with the fact that he doesn't want to get home, should he be in charge and assured he would remain on the ship even if they got their other people in there, there's no reason to believe Rush would be unwilling to find a way to trade the crew for a new one--especially given that the ones that Earth would send through would be more competent.

They need people fixated on figuring out the ship, learning Ancient, and generally being productive. Young is trying to make people comfortable and happy. Rush wouldn't care enough beyond making sure basic needs were met. Given the situation, Young's approach is absurd. We've seen multiple times where Young being in charge and disregarding Rush's suggestions/demands has screwed over the Destiny. Such as in Darkness, where he could have killed the entire crew.

I thought, at some point, they put Rush in charge, or at least tried to for awhile, until Young put up enough of a fuss that they stopped--and then tried for Wray. If Rush were in charge, without Young fighting like a ten year old for it, theyd probably get more done just on the virtue of people working harmoniously toward something, as well.

Would Rush take more chances, like sticking someone in that chair? Probably. But what's to say that chance, or others, isn't going to pay off?

Comment

Rush would probably be sacrificing people left and right until just he and Eli remained.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  Rush would probably be sacrificing people left and right until just he and Eli remained.
                  Rush is capable of doing that without being in charge. How much effort would it take for him to lure everyone into a single room, lock them in, and then suck the oxygen out?

However, he's a passive agressive and unlikely to try anything so direct. He won't get his hands dirty. Like Lady Macbeth, he'll convince someone else to do it.

This is why I hold on to the crazy idea that Rush didn't actually put the gun in Young's room. The Kino may have revealed Rush walking into the room, but Young doesn't say what the Kino recorded Rush as doing. I think something happened out of view, something involving the young man who accompanied Volker down to the planet. Why else would the camera focus in on a character that hasn't yet made an appearance? He's a red shirt who showed up right after Rush told Young to find the murderer.

Furthermore, this misdirection (the framing of Young) is really quite amatuerish and not Rush's style, who goes for the "theatrical," not the "melodramatic." I also think he admitted to the frame-up just to get a rise out of Young. I don't think he ever thought for a moment that Young would react quite so violently or would dare to leave him behind.

When Rush gets back to Destiny, I think the gloves will be off. He impresses me as a kid who was bullied as a child and has now had enough.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    I don't think there's anything to indicate that he would do that. Sacrifice people if he felt it warranted it? Yes. Would he care about the individual? Not much. Throw away his crew as if he had an infinite supply? No. He could have said in Light that there was nothing he could do for the people who ran off scared, at the time he'd have been believed, and it was only 15 people. He didn't. Also, he actually looked quite chagrined when one of his own sat in the chair. He's a selfish twit, but he's not insane. He knows what he's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by kansaikimono View Post
                      This is why I hold on to the crazy idea that Rush didn't actually put the gun in Young's room. The Kino may have revealed Rush walking into the room, but Young doesn't say what the Kino recorded Rush as doing. I think something happened out of view, something involving the young man who accompanied Volker down to the planet. Why else would the camera focus in on a character that hasn't yet made an appearance? He's a red shirt who showed up right after Rush told Young to find the murderer.

Furthermore, this misdirection (the framing of Young) is really quite amatuerish and not Rush's style, who goes for the "theatrical," not the "melodramatic." I also think he admitted to the frame-up just to get a rise out of Young. I don't think he ever thought for a moment that Young would react quite so violently or would dare to leave him behind.

When Rush gets back to Destiny, I think the gloves will be off. He impresses me as a kid who was bullied as a child and has now had enough.
                      Are you suggesting that Rush got someone else to do it? What motive would anyone else have for getting involved. No one else had as much of a motive as Rush did. He confessed when he knew Young had found the kino footage. He knew there was no point in lying and told Young that he had done it for the greater good. Rush also told Young he wasn’t proud that he did it, he needed to get Young to step down and saw Spencer’s suicide as an opportunity to get Young out of the way. He confessed to Young about how and why he did it, it sounded like a pretty genuine confession to me. When he told Young he wasn’t the right man for the job he may have been trying to destroy Young’s confidence.
                      Last edited by StargateBuilder; 06 December 2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KlaxxonBlue View Post
                        I agree with Rush on almost everything he has done up to this point.
                        Likewise. Everyone treats him as some sort of criminal mastermind. But, since they've been on the ship at least, they'd probably all be dead if it wasn't for him. He didn't order anyone to sit in the chair. He dropped hints maybe - But he did NOT in any way pressure anyone into it. He tried to frame Young, but that's because he's a truly awful CO and needs to be taken out of commission quickly before he dooms everyone on the ship with his rash actions and childish vindictiveness.

He's suffered a great personal loss in the past, we can assume from the photo etc. It is HIGHLY unlikely he wants to put anyone at risk. But he'd prefer to lose one person than 80. What's so wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
                          Likewise. Everyone treats him as some sort of criminal mastermind. But, since they've been on the ship at least, they'd probably all be dead if it wasn't for him. He didn't order anyone to sit in the chair. He dropped hints maybe - But he did NOT in any way pressure anyone into it. He tried to frame Young, but that's because he's a truly awful CO and needs to be taken out of commission quickly before he dooms everyone on the ship with his rash actions and childish vindictiveness.

He's suffered a great personal loss in the past, we can assume from the photo etc. It is HIGHLY unlikely he wants to put anyone at risk. But he'd prefer to lose one person than 80. What's so wrong with that?
                          They wouldn't even be in this problem in the first place if it wasn't for him
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by StargateBuilder View Post
                            ...he needed to get Young to step down and saw Spencer’s suicide as an opportunity to get Young out of the way. He confessed to Young about how and why he did it, it sounded like a pretty genuine confession to me. When he told Young he wasn’t the right man for the job he may have been trying to destroy Young’s confidence.
                            Yes, Rush tells Young that his purpose was to remove him from command. Yet, when Spencer's body is discovered and it is believed he committed suicide, Wray is quick to blame Young and thus create the attitude of doubt/questionable support that Rush says he wants. Why should Rush bother with an amatuer frame-up when the suicide alone is sufficient to remove Young? That's why I think something off-Kino occurred.

Greer says that Spencer had quarters away from everyone else.
                            How is it that Rush heard the gunshot? Was he already in that section of the ship? If so, why?

This is just a theory I have to explain away that Rush tried to frame Young. It just doesn't seem within his character. Altering footage? Hiding the gun in the vent? It lacks imagination and falls short of Rush's genius.

Admitting to Young's face that he framed him when he really didn't, now that would be more in character! Young invited him to lie his way out of it and Rush obliged. Imagine Young's internal conflict when he learns Rush didn't do it, even though he confessed to it -- and he left that man down on the planet!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              They wouldn't even be in this problem in the first place if it wasn't for him
                              And then we wouldn't have a series. Hence why I specifically said:
                              'Since they've been on the ship.'
                              It was an essential plot element to get them there. Can everyone stop going on about it and focus on the show please?

Comment

Working...
                              X