No announcement yet.

The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that the interaction in this episode between Ernest and Catherine is lovely. Very touching.
    Such a temptation for Daniel, to stay and learn more about the book. And yet to see what had happened to Ernest...
    This episode still stands up IMO

Comment

Kinda a disapointment that they never really revisit what happens with Catherine and Ernest, tho.
      YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
        Does that device look the one in "The First Commandment"?
        It did especially when the orange light went up. Just like it.

Also if we went back which would be cool we could learn how to write and read the other languages. We already know Ancient and could use it as a translator. Which gets me wondering this must have been very early in the meetings of these foour races because a race as intelligent as the Ancients could pretty easily translate different languages.

Comment

Originally posted by kelmah
          Kinda a disapointment that they never really revisit what happens with Catherine and Ernest, tho.
          Sadly, the actor playing Ernest(Keene Curtis) died in 2002 from complications from Alzheimer's disease and last acted in 1998. 'The Torment of Tantalus" was filmed in 97.

In the episode 119, "THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD" while Daniel is in the alternate reality, he says to the alternate reality Catherine, "you are retired, you are suppose to at home, living happilly ever after with Ernest ..."

We can only imagine the conversations he may of had with Daniel when they came back to earth. At least Daniel had his notebook and probably video taped the whole debriefing

This was also the last episode that the actress playing Catherine(Elizabeth Hoffman) was seen in the series as well.

Spoiler for season 8 819 moebius
          Spoiler:
          In the season finale of Moebius, you dont see Catherine, but Daniel attends her funeral.

Comment

Ok i just watched the Nox for the first time and they picked up english in under a hour. Why would they need that translator thing if they could pick up a language so easily?

Comment

I really like the character of Katherine Langford. She reminds me of my granny . I think she's like an honary granny to Jack, Sam and Daniel too.

The first scene of this episode was fascinating - footage of the stargate in 1945! And the scene at Katherine's house was great too.

But the team can't return to the planet, because then they would know the meaning of life. Which would be very difficult for the writers, who don't know the meaning of life!

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

This episode was pretty cool, I just don't like seeing old naked people
                Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Like the scene in the beginning before they went to Ernest's Planet.

Langford to Teal'c: You speak?
                  Teal'c: When it's appropeate (sp).

Comment

Originally posted by PugGate
                    This episode was pretty cool, I just don't like seeing old naked people
                    All you see is his chest. Stargate has shown worse. Like in the COTG. Of course that orignally showed on ShowTime so its a different story. But still you don't see anything.

Comment

Just watched Torment of Tantalus for the first time in a LONG time. It's a really great ep, one of the best in the first season. Robert .C. Cooper did a great job with it and really showed an indication of his ability.
                      "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                      I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

definitely one of my favorite episodes ever. It just gives such a grand scope to the universe with all the overlapping races. I kinda wish they would do more to follow up on that alliance in some later storylines though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Boch
                          Just watched Torment of Tantalus for the first time in a LONG time. It's a really great ep, one of the best in the first season. Robert .C. Cooper did a great job with it and really showed an indication of his ability.
                          I don't agree with all the scripts compiled in the 'Essential Scripts' book--c'mon, 'Wormhole X-Treme' is not essential--but I'm glad this one is in. Artistically and as plotlines go, it was one of the best of the season. It's a pity that it so often is overlooked as a 'good' episode. After all, it is the one where we first got solid proof of the Ancients, of the Nox, the Asgaard...and the Furlings, although that particular group hasn't played a large role in the series to date.

Comment

I've started re-watching my DVDs from the beginning, & I'd forgotten what a great ep this was. I really enjoyed it. Fantastic, proper SG1
                            Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

Just when I think that I'm happy with S8, I go back and take a look at the DVDs. I've got to stop doing that.

Comment

bg

I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

Comment

Working...
                                X