Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Torment of Tantalus (110)

I just rewatched this episode today and I noticed something young Ernest is played by none other than Paul Mcgillion aka Carson Beckett from Atlantis. He looks alot thinner then than he does now tho . This is also in my top ten episodes . Definatly my favourte Season 1 episode.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

^No way!Cool! This has to be one of my all time favourites, it was a good story with old ernest being played very well. You can almost feel the emotion on the poor old buggers face when he sees people for the first time in decades. It was nice to have an episode where we can see that the universe doesn't revolve around earth, where other races met up for a gossip and a cuppa.
    This is where season one differs from all the others, where we are the newcomers to the galaxy and evreryone else seems to be more advanced. I should think a lot more thought has to go into races that are beyond us in technology whereas in later seasons they seem to have got a history book out and picked an era at random with most of the other races being less advanced.
    I wonder if the building that ernest was in, originally had a shield like Atlantis as it was getting a bit battered bt the elements.
    Still the episode has got to be in my top five.

^^yse i noticed that a few weeks ago, strange why TPTB bring back actors in different roles, although by the time Atlantis came around everone would have forgotten or so they hoped

Second Lieutenant

****!!!! GREAT Daniel Jackson by Michael Shanks.........exactly what James Spader might do!

Staff Sergeant

Yes i just watched that episode last night and when i was watching catherine's father and ernest talking... i was thinking "hold on a sec, that's beckett" funny stuff i say.

The one thing that gets me about the actor recruited to play the old ernest is that he doesn't look much like Paul Mcgillon (compensating for aging and balding of course).

But still i find the whole thing funny.

As well, i'm not sure if it's just me or did i see the guy who played Mirdyn on the atlantean council/Merlin also play the leader of the people from the planet which the weather control device was stolen in "Touchstone" episode 214?

Oh and I also noticed that Narim, the Tollan is played by the same guy, Garwin Sanford, that plays Dr. Weir's now ex Simon Wallace. I mean talk about coincidental appearance but that's cutting it when it comes to actors time distance between different roles.

Staff Sergeant

Yes, i just looked up the filmography of Matthew Walker who plays Merdyn/Merlin, on sg-1, his character's name in Before I Sleep is "Moros", all M's, 10000 years must cause lots of name changes

His filmography confirms he plays "Roham" in Touchstone!

I'm watching it again right now! When I saw Beckett I was like, "Woah!".

I tell great stories.

Anyway, awesome episode! Haven't seen it in five years. >.>

I got the DVD so ill have watch it and check it out.

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
    legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Earth Symbol Re: The Torment of Tantalus (110)

I read the script in the Essential Scripts book and I loved it! It was highly original and a great intro for the four races/ ancients plotline of the series! Of course the script has scenes that were cut from the final episode so I'm going to have to go see if a friend of mine has this episode on DVD so I can watch it.

timdalton007

Zat Re: The Torment of Tantalus (110)

One of my favorite episodes. Goes from Hilarious to sentimental in a great way. Wish they would revisit this planet.

Now that we have ships, we certainly should try to go back to the planet. All that "meaning of life stuff" could have great potential because just the philosophy and into the practical.
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Lieutenant Colonel TheGreatLordGeorge's Avatar
    A little planet in a remote region of the galaxy

yo

Believe it or not, this is my favorite episode from Season One. Loved the scene were Ernst poked Daniel and Daniel says “ We’re real”. As someone earlier said, the episode went from funny to very sentimental. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HirogenGater
    Believe it or not, this is my favorite episode from Season One. Loved the scene were Ernst poked Daniel and Daniel says “ We’re real”. As someone earlier said, the episode went from funny to very sentimental. Great stuff.
    It also gave the sense of sooooo much potential.
    Really, for me its like, wow this is going to be interesting finding the answers. I never had a sense that this was just going to be a one off ep with no payout. I always felt that it was a little snapshot of what was to come.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

This was a certainly a very good episode.

However I had to have a chuckle when Daniel reads Ernests journal which describes the castle as being like a 'United Nations of the Stars'. There was no United Nations when Ernest left earth in 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by LennyLen
    This was a certainly a very good episode.

However I had to have a chuckle when Daniel reads Ernests journal which describes the castle as being like a 'United Nations of the Stars'. There was no United Nations when Ernest left earth in 1945.
    haha, good catch... maybe he coined the phase himself and no one knew it. Great minds and all that.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Smile Re: The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Wow, yes, one of my top fave episodes of SG1.

I also wondered if they could return in a ship. As Sam and Daniel agreed, being close to earth in the Stargate system is why they got a lock on it anyway. Even if the structure is in ruins, it has a buried Stargate that earth could try to retrieve for future use. And perhaps the other more protected rooms survived. Oh, well, maybe S11?

Just sayin', it was a grand intro to the other races, esp a nice one leading to Jack's encounter with the Asgard.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!

Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Second Lieutenant Thor of The Asgard's Avatar

a very good episode indeed...exapt that old naked guy...that was pointless...
    so some of the writings are of the asgard and of the ancients...i wonder which is of the furlings and wich is of the nox...

Well i beleive the swishy righting is furling because it is the same writing as the one used in Paradise Lost.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

they should definatly return to the planet ussing the deady to get te libray and from there should translte it from that it yould probally give them many new tech abilities. o and cathrine died in like season 5

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast