• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 110

SG-1 tracks down Catherine Langford's fiance, who took the first Stargate trip in 1945, and discovers an ancient meeting hall that may hold the secrets of the universe itself.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2021, 11:02 PM.

Just watched the episode for the first time last night!

What a terrific episode!

A forgotten gem.
    'Ask an impertinent question and you are on your way to a pertinent answer.'

Jacob Bronowski

Comment

I wonder if they'll ever revisit this planet to get the 'book'......I imagine it could be translated seeing as they could ask Thor or someone about it. Or even go to the Nox!
      "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

This is the one episode that I've never seen. Anyone know where I can download it?

Phil
        Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
        Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Thunderchild
          This is the one episode that I've never seen. Anyone know where I can download it?

Phil
          Oh my! Not sure where to find it online (don't think I want to know either since it's probably not legal), but you have GOT TO see it! There are a ton of references from this episode that pop up later in the series.

I just checked scifi.com's page and it looks like it's not going to be on again until at least July. Bummer. Hope you don't have to wait that long to find it.
          There is nothing cruvas with me.

Comment

This was an interesting twist to add these races to the mix. And then to later on, meet them. Still would love to see what the Furlings look like!!

Comment

Originally posted by SG_Mike
              This was an interesting twist to add these races to the mix. And then to later on, meet them. Still would love to see what the Furlings look like!!
              Ewoks, excatly like Ewoks, only with big honking space guns.

There you go Furlings=Ewoks with added big honking space guns.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

This was really interesting...becuase we go to know that the gate was open before and it opened up the four race thingy whatever happened to the lady, daughter of the guy who found the gate, and her 'friend' ???
                And did anyone form SGC asked Thor about that place?

Comment

I loved this ep, one of my favorite.

I'd like to see Ernest and Cathryn return in a future ep.

Also, now that the Prometheus is active, it occurs to me that they could simply fly there and go to the library with the "meaning of life stuff". They could take Ernest with them (if the actor who played him is still alive, fit and willing). After all, Ernest spent many years there, and has likely explored much of the surrounding area for many miles around.

The Stargate likely fell into the sea, but I claim that the rest of castle, including the library device, is further "inland" and is still there to explore.

Plus, they could take some cranes and dig the gate out of the sea and set it up again further back so it won't fall in as quickly again, assuming they can fix the problem of the broken DHD, or make another, like with the Earth made DHD. They might also take a DHD from a less valuable planet--like on a unhabitable world, and move it to Heliopolisis.

All in all, I loved this ep, and I think there's potential for a spinoff ep in season 9 or beyond

jtg

Comment

I love this eposode. It cathches up with Catharine. It makes a good point about about true love. Jack is more sweet, friendly, and less guadred than he usually is. The part where he askes Catherine for a hug is especiallly sweet.
                    ABYDOSCITY2

Comment

Good episode, with the hilarious reactions to a naked old man suddenly appearing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jtg
                        Also, now that the Prometheus is active, it occurs to me that they could simply fly there and go to the library with the "meaning of life stuff". They could take Ernest with them (if the actor who played him is still alive, fit and willing). After all, Ernest spent many years there, and has likely explored much of the surrounding area for many miles around.
                        jtg
                        They would have to get another actor to play the older Dr. Littlefield. Keene Curtiss, who played him, died in 2002.

But it would be neat if they had the man who the young Dr. Littlefield (forgot his real name at the moment but he plays Dr. Beckett in SA) to put on the aging makeup and play him.

Comment

I would love for the SG teams to revisit this planet and pick up the book. Along with the four tablets. Maybe we could decypher what the ancient and asgard were talking about.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

This is my favourite episode of Season One. It's just a terrific episode allround, I too wish they would revisit the planet sometime.

Comment

When Daniel motions for him to turn around and see Catherine for the first time, I tear up.

Then he looks at her and makes a "hump!" noise. And her response is something like "Fifty years and all I get is "hump!" That jump from sentimental to humor is so well done.
                              "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X