"The End Justifies the Means"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daro View Post
    You know, Rush said in "Justice" that he knew Young had resigned as SG leader before....has Young made this public knowledge? I don't think so. Either Rush found out before hand, or he has talked to someone on Earth. It makes me wonder, yet again, who he's working with, if anyone.
    Perhaps Rush's plan is to drive Young to the brink where he will just throw in the towel. Maybe Young knows this is part of Rush's plan, and that's why he seemed to give up his command to Wray so easily when the frame up was in progress. To see what Rush's next move would be.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

You know, Rush said in "Justice" that he knew Young had resigned as SG leader before....has Young made this public knowledge? I don't think so. Either Rush found out before hand, or he has talked to someone on Earth. It makes me wonder, yet again, who he's working with, if anyone.
      I would think that Rush was part of the choosing process for the Icarus crew. Remember in Air, Part 3, when he mentioned Greer not being his choice at all? Maybe he heard of Young's background in that process or such. ("Hey, this guy seems all right. I'm sure he'll never strand me anywhere at anytime! Hey buddy, I'm Nicholas!")

That or the common knowledge thing.
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I'm sure Rush looked at the list of candidates and went, 'This is the best there is? Well, I can see I'm going to be doing most of the work myself.'

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          I'm sure Rush looked at the list of candidates and went, 'This is the best there is? Well, I can see I'm going to be doing most of the work myself.'
          "Maybe if I'm lucky, some MIT dropout will solve the puzzle after I spend two years pretending to do all that work."
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            I would think that Rush was part of the choosing process for the Icarus crew. Remember in Air, Part 3, when he mentioned Greer not being his choice at all? Maybe he heard of Young's background in that process or such. ("Hey, this guy seems all right. I'm sure he'll never strand me anywhere at anytime! Hey buddy, I'm Nicholas!")

That or the common knowledge thing.
            I'll have to go back and watch the first three episodes again. I know that there was a distinct impression that everyone seemed to be sick of Rush for his lack of progress. Also, it seemed obvious from the start that Rush and Young didn't like one another. I don't think he had a choice where Young was concerned. But probably with the other members of the crew, yeah. There's so much tension between the military and the civilians...which I see as a product of the military folks (especially Greer) calling all the shots, and having guns pointed in people's faces whenever they feel a little bit threatened. There's another reason I agree with Rush's assessment of Young as a leader. Sure, it's a tense situation, but they've had several weeks (months, maybe?) to adapt to it. Young said he wouldn't rule the ship by force, but he does. And marooning Rush is proof of that. Young got a trial when he was suspected of a crime, and he insisted it be so. Where was his precious due process when he suspected Rush of a crime? Yes, he had proof (we think, anyway) and a confession. But that still doesn't mean Young has the right to effectively execute him. He's turning himself into a dictator, and once that becomes more apparent to the rest of the crew, I'm betting there will be hell to pay.

Also, to Girlbot, I think you're right about Young wanting to see what Rush's next move would be. Of course, Rush, always with his eye on the prize, went straight for the Chair. I won't say he's responsible for what happened to Franklin, because Franklin knew the risks and was told not to use the chair. Rush wouldn't have been working diligently on writing a program if he just wanted to use someone as a guinea pig. He also wouldn't have wanted any of the science team to use the chair. They have the most valuable skills, in his mind.
            Young (and many viewers) think that Rush intentionally planted the idea and manipulated the situation, so he uses that as further justification for getting rid of Rush.

Comment

In my attempts to defend Rush, I've somehow softened my view on Young. So yes, I understand his reasons for leaving Rush behind. I will never agree that they were right; he could have tried to imprison him. If it hadn't worked out, ok, maybe then leave him behind.

Just like I think that Rush was wrong to frame Young and wrong to gamble eighty lives for his goals. But I can see why he did it, I can see the possible motive he has that makes the sacrifice worthwhile in his mind. He is not, as far as I can tell, just an evil man.

Both characters are committing necessary evils, from their viewpoints. Both made similar choices. Rush thinks the deaths of eighty people, including himself if it comes to it, are worth bringing mankind closer to ascension. Young thinks that killing one man is worth saving the lives of those eighty people. Neither should be so willing to have blood on their hands, but it is an extreme situation with two extreme viewpoints at war with each other. I think both of them would be, in normal circumstances, decent but troubled humans. Like most of us.

I think they're both unstable. They are both deeply flawed, and they are both wrong about each other. They both think what they are doing is for the greater good. I don't think either of them have any more right than the other, though, to be in command. This is not a typical SG mission. What Earth thinks is becoming less and less important to the characters, and to most viewers.

I'm obviously more in agreement with Rush's views than Young's. I don't think Rush intentionally wastes human life. He uses his reasoning to override his conscience. So does Young.

Oh, and I don't agree Rush will sabotage the ship, or its crew. Rush loves the Destiny (more than he does the people in it, sadly, but I think that despite his best efforts, he is starting to care about them. We'll see, eh?)

I don't know if the two of them will learn to work together, or forever be enemies. But, if Young had gotten rid of Rush earlier, it's likely that many more people would have died by now. Certainly those in the shuttle in "Light", if not the entire crew in "Air." That doesn't make up for what he's done wrong, but it goes a long way in my mind to deem Young wrong for leaving him. That's just logically speaking, morals aside.

Their goals are not mutually exclusive, but I don't think either realize that yet. They both need a reality check, but I'm saying this as someone sitting in my own home, in my pajamas, comfortably typing away on my computer. So my judgments on either of them are, of course, going to be biased to some degree.
              Excellent post, you have put Rush and Young’s viewpoints in a very good perspective.

You indicated that you don’t think Rush will sabotage the ship.

The conversation in “Earth” by the IOA head with Wray show that Earth doesn’t believe Rush wants to come home and isn’t trusted. That was why he wasn’t included in the rescue plan briefings. Rush’s conversation with Telford also during “Earth” show that Rush is very afraid if two way gate travel is established back to Earth that he may be ordered and likely forced to return.

I want you opinion on how Rush may respond to the following scenario:

Let us speculate that at one point in the near future a viable energy source is discovered that will allow for a wormhole to be connected back to Earth. Given Telford’s conversation that imo strongly suggests that Rush believes that Earth will then order him back. What do you think Rush will do? Given his obsession with Destiny and all of his past behaviors, do you think he may let his desire to remain on the Destiny compel him to take covert steps to sabotage the plan out of fear of being ordered to return if the wormhole is indeed established?
              Last edited by Blackhole; 21 December 2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                I want you opinion on how Rush may respond to the following scenario:

Let us speculate that at one point in the near future a viable energy source is discovered that will allow for a wormhole to be connected back to Earth. Given Telford’s conversation that imo strongly suggests that Rush believes that Earth will then order him back. What do you think Rush will do? Given his obsession with Destiny and all of his past behaviors, do you think he may let his desire to remain on the Destiny compel him to take covert steps to sabotage the plan out of fear of being ordered to return if the wormhole is indeed established?
                Oooh, good question.

I don't know entirely, but here's some ideas. I think it should never be taken for granted that Rush will go quietly. What I think would happen...he'd try to convince the people on the ship he thinks are worthwhile (Eli, Brody, Volker, Park, maybe a few others) that his goals are worth fighting for. He'd carefully choose words before the link was made, to have others question whether or not they want to go back. He needs a few people with him, but not many. I think he'd try to arrange the situation so that he could control the power-supply. Let Young and Scott and most of the other people on the ship leave if they want. But if someone else tries to come through, he'd probably try to stop it. Afterwards he'd find a way to make the power supply inert, or at least make it where only he can access it. And he'd cut off communication with Earth for the most part, unless he absolutely had to talk to them.

If that wouldn't work, and he couldn't get control of the situation, I think he'd perhaps try to hide in some unexplored part of the ship to avoid being taken back.

If all else failed, I think he would resort to sabotage. He'd try to convince others that the plan to get home wouldn't work, like he did in Earth (I think he happened to be right in this one, but who knows?) If that didn't work again, he'd try to do something to the power supply...probably.

The thing is, if this scenario ever came up, it'd be a great chance for one of the characters, like Eli, to try and revive Rush's conscience. I'd love to see an episode like this, and I'd love to see Rush be emotionally tormented if he tried to stop the others going home, just so he could stay. And I'd like to see Eli face off with him. The experienced, hard working, and methodical Rush v. emotional, more intelligent, chaotic Eli. Makes me want to write fanfic!

I want to see what would make Rush give up his Destiny. So far, though, I don't think he would ever leave the ship if he could prevent it in any way.

Oh, and if they found that power supply, and I were Young? I'd make sure Rush didn't know. I'd have TJ tranquilize him or something, send folks home, etc. If Earth wanted Rush back, he'd wake up back 'home.' And in a lot of trouble probably.

Of course, after that he'd use all his cunning to find a way back to the Destiny again. Which would be fun to watch too.

Comment

Oooh, good question.

I don't know entirely, but here's some ideas. I think it should never be taken for granted that Rush will go quietly. What I think would happen...he'd try to convince the people on the ship he thinks are worthwhile (Eli, Brody, Volker, Park, maybe a few others) that his goals are worth fighting for. He'd carefully choose words before the link was made, to have others question whether or not they want to go back. He needs a few people with him, but not many. I think he'd try to arrange the situation so that he could control the power-supply. Let Young and Scott and most of the other people on the ship leave if they want. But if someone else tries to come through, he'd probably try to stop it. Afterwards he'd find a way to make the power supply inert, or at least make it where only he can access it. And he'd cut off communication with Earth for the most part, unless he absolutely had to talk to them.

If that wouldn't work, and he couldn't get control of the situation, I think he'd perhaps try to hide in some unexplored part of the ship to avoid being taken back.

If all else failed, I think he would resort to sabotage. He'd try to convince others that the plan to get home wouldn't work, like he did in Earth (I think he happened to be right in this one, but who knows?) If that didn't work again, he'd try to do something to the power supply...probably.

The thing is, if this scenario ever came up, it'd be a great chance for one of the characters, like Eli, to try and revive Rush's conscience. I'd love to see an episode like this, and I'd love to see Rush be emotionally tormented if he tried to stop the others going home, just so he could stay. And I'd like to see Eli face off with him. The experienced, hard working, and methodical Rush v. emotional, more intelligent, chaotic Eli. Makes me want to write fanfic!

I want to see what would make Rush give up his Destiny. So far, though, I don't think he would ever leave the ship if he could prevent it in any way.

Oh, and if they found that power supply, and I were Young? I'd make sure Rush didn't know. I'd have TJ tranquilize him or something, send folks home, etc. If Earth wanted Rush back, he'd wake up back 'home.' And in a lot of trouble probably.

Of course, after that he'd use all his cunning to find a way back to the Destiny again. Which would be fun to watch too.
                  You make very good points and I agree with everything you have said. My scenario presented and either or situation which is not likely to happen. Rush could in many ways gain control of the departure and leverage his remaining on the Destiny. In a myriad number of ways he could arrange to insure that anyone who wants to go can but if any attempt is made to compel his departure he would have mechanisms in place to prevent them from forcing him to leave. He could interfere with the wormhole’s connection and/or to otherwise disable the ship in some fashion. Rush is more than smart and devious enough to put safeguards in place to keep himself on the Destiny.
                  Last edited by Blackhole; 21 December 2009, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X