No announcement yet.

Haven (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the pilot was intriguing, but nothing too special. Emily Rose was good value, though, and I'd definitely give the series a go.

Comment

I finally managed to watch the pilot the other day. It wasn't anything that blew me away but it was pretty solid and enjoyable. Stephen King has, for me anyway, a habit of making characters that are interesting, unique and yet at the same time, completely believable for me. They seem fully rounded from the moment they're presented. I can watch and say, yeah, I know people like that. One thing that I like about his stories and by extension his shows/movies is that the "scary/weird/different" takes a back seat to the believable and normal. Sure, you've got strange weather and stuff, but you've also got this story about a woman getting taken by a pair of creeps, a father/son relationship, and a simple finding a parent story.

The eye candy didn't hurt either. Parker is damned attractive, in a very natural way. I've always thought Eric Balfour was yummy, so Duke as a character is attractive, and so is Wournos. You can't really go wrong when there are three people on the screen that are nice to look at. I liked seeing DaVinci in there too
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Just watched the pilot. Nothing special here. The lead character seems so chill with the discovery of someone who can affect the weather with her emotions. Its like it was nothing new and she deals with this kind of stuff on a daily basis. I know my reaction would be a lot different if I found out someone could do that.
        sigpic

Comment

I'll give this show at least a few more episodes to really pull me in.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
            Just watched the pilot. Nothing special here. The lead character seems so chill with the discovery of someone who can affect the weather with her emotions. Its like it was nothing new and she deals with this kind of stuff on a daily basis. I know my reaction would be a lot different if I found out someone could do that.
            Wouldn't an FBI agent be trained to approach strange situations in a way that didn't rule out the seemingly unnatural? I guess I'm just saying that it doesn't seem outside the realm of imagination for a law enforcement person to react more to the potential hazzards than to the drama itself, e.g.; anticipating potential safety issues that might result if the situation destabilized, etc. In that context, it was easy for me to maintain the fantasy.

But then, I also didn't question anything in Waterworld. :-D

Comment

Preview of this week's episode - 7/16/2010 "Butterfly" - see link below

http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/sc...-16-10.html#tp

Comment

So, what did we all think of the second episode?

Spoiler:
                I liked it a lot more than the first episode.

- Audrey/Emily Rose continues to be drool-enducing (wet and in a towel )
                - I love seeing Stephen McHattie in anything
                - the blanket cocooning was neat stuff
                - for guest appearances, Hannah and Bobby played off each other very well
                - was "Twin Pines Overlook" a deliberate nod to Back to the Future?

Oh by the way, did anyone catch the name of Audrey's FBI boss in last week's episode?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I thought it was enjoyable. Fun investigating the odd and weird without going OTT into "oooohhhhhh spooookkkkyyyyy'

no doubt there'll be the cliched 'govt conspiracy' brought into things by the end of the season

but it's a decent enough way to kill an hour
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    So, what did we all think of the second episode?

Spoiler:
                    I liked it a lot more than the first episode.

- Audrey/Emily Rose continues to be drool-enducing (wet and in a towel )
                    - I love seeing Stephen McHattie in anything
                    - the blanket cocooning was neat stuff
                    - for guest appearances, Hannah and Bobby played off each other very well
                    - was "Twin Pines Overlook" a deliberate nod to Back to the Future?
                    While I didn't hate it, some things rubbed me the wrong way.
                    Spoiler:
                    -I thought the coccoon cgi was cheesy at best.
                    -I also thought a trained fbi agent wouldn't have stood up and dropped her phone that was right up to her face previously. (JMO, of course.)
                    -I was disappointed they never even investigated the location where the big brass ball originally came from.
                    -It annoyed me at the end that she just happened to get prescription drugs to give to the boy without an examination.
                    -And last I'm getting the distinct feeling that no matter how bad or dangeous these supernatural people are that they are all going to get away with their crimes in he end.
                    -Other than all that it was good.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    no doubt there'll be the cliched 'govt conspiracy' brought into things by the end of the season

Yeah, I'm definately getting an Xfiles vibe here.
                    Last edited by Selene1212; 17 July 2010, 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I thought it was enjoyable. Fun investigating the odd and weird without going OTT into "oooohhhhhh spooookkkkyyyyy'

That's pretty much my feelings on it too. If there is to be a government conspiracy, I suspect it'll involve Audrey's mother in some way. I wonder what all that could be about?
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I am enjoying this show thus far. It hasn't totally grabbed me yet, but it definitely has its moments. I will keep watching for now.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm wondering how it ties into the town's name, Haven...
                          Spoiler:
                          such as a refuge for the odd? or maybe, centuries ago, the odd were exiled there and the town is inhabited by its descendants, people with quirky tendencies
                          Last edited by Skydiver; 18 July 2010, 05:53 AM.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thats definately a feasable theory, And fits in with Audreys story.

Comment

I'm wondering how it ties into the town's name, Haven...
                              Spoiler:
                              such as a refuge for the odd? or maybe, centuries ago, the odd were exiled there and the town is inhabited by its descendants, people with quirky tendencies
                              Next time it would be appreciated if you put your "so good that they can be considered spoilers" speculations between spoilers tags. Thank you.

Last edited by Skydiver; 18 July 2010, 05:54 AM.
                              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I was joking a bit about the spoiler tags for "great speculations". It's just that it sounds so plausible and it may be what will really happen! (unless you arrived to it using Haven spoilers you know about).
                                Last edited by Commander Zelix; 18 July 2010, 10:28 AM.
                                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                                X