Kara Thrace: The Holy Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kara Thrace: The Holy Spirit

(First of all, excuses for my poor english)

There a mix of religions, simbols and beliefs in BSG. From the olimpic gods (Jupiter, Athenea, Apollo, Pitia), so selfish, references go throught jewish, muslims, Old and New Testament, christians, catolics, mormons beliefs and more human gods. From the issues of reincarnation and cyclic nature of the universe of Buddism, to ressurrection, the hindu mantra at the beginning.

The clue was shown in the last episode, in the last fashback, when a dove appears near Apollo (spleeping in the sofa, after dinning with his brother). The dove is a symbol of the Holy Spirit. But one clue is not enough, even a dove with wide and brown eyes Starbuck look alike...

Wikipedia: Pigeons and doves constitute the family Columbidae. In general parlance the terms "dove" and "pigeon" are used somewhat interchangeably. In ornithological practice, there is a tendency for "dove" to be used for smaller species and "pigeon" for larger ones, but this is in no way consistently applied, and historically the common names for these birds involve a great deal of variation between the terms "dove" and "pigeon."
    In Spain, young doves are called pigeons.
    In Genesis in the Bible, Noah sends out a dove after the flood. In the New Testament a dove is the symbol of the Holy Spirit. In Islam, doves and the pigeon clan in general are respected and favoured.
    The Holy Spirit is often depicted as a dove, based on the account of the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus like a dove when he was baptized in the Jordan. In many paintings of the Annunciation, the Holy Spirit is shown in the form of a dove, coming down towards Mary on beams of light, as the Archangel Gabriel announces Christ's coming to Mary.

Maybe Starbuck isn´t the Holy Gost; just the Archangel Gabriel (equivalent for some religions), another angel, a saint or a person with views, like a prophet, inspired or touched by the Holy Ghost, that pigeon or dove (the persons in the Old Testament enjoyed the occasional pressence of the Holy Spirit to develop specific tasks asigned by God) .

The hybrids call her "herald-harbinger of dead" (the book of apocalypse tells us that the Holy Ghost is the herald-harbinger of resurrection) and the wind that ...(John 2:8; the Spirit is likened to the "wind that blows where it will"). They also told "Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end". According to the Latter Day Saint movement (Glen A. Larson is mormon), the Holy Ghost mission is to guide the mankind to the to the promise land (Joseph) -the end of the journey- and to teach (Starbuck was a flight instrucutor).

According to the Bible, the Holy Ghost guided Joshua -Josue in Spanish, may be Joseph (Lee Adama)? - to lead his nation to conquest/find the promise land. At Gibeon Joshua asked God to cause the Sun and Moon to stand still, so that he could finish the battle in daylight (daybreak). Kara help Lee giving him the coordinates of Earth, the promise land.
    The twelve colonies are ussualy asocciated with the twelve tribes of Israel. Might William and Joseph Lee Adama represent Moses and Joshue?. Joshua was appointed by Moses to succeed him as leader of the Israelites; William Adama gave to his son the command of the Pegassus, made him Commander, etc.
    William may be Abraham or Noe as well, and Saul Tight the first king. But Saul could also represent Saint Paul of Tarso, that first hate christians and later become one of them, and twelve (cylons) allude to the apostles too. That mix the Old and the New Testament, the cyclic nature of life and the universe

Maybe the show told us about of harbinger of dead , instead of resurrection (Starbuck died when she fell into the black hole, and came later as an angel or a God, but with a brand new viper, came from the past) and show pigeons (a young or reborn dove/Starbuck) instead of doves, according to that cyclic/matrix ideas, "All that happened it will happen again", and to avoid easy references in this time of wikipedians. Ron Moore offered us an "open interpretation" , like Stanley Kubrick in 2001.

Other symbols of the Holy Spirit (wikipedia); wind, dove, fire and clouds are symbols:
    Inspiration and interpretation of scripture: The Holy Spirit both inspires the writing of the scriptures and interprets them to the Christian and/or church
    Music: Biblical psalmody is the work of the Holy Spirit. Indeed, psalmody is a gift of the Holy Spirit, probably best classified under messages of knowledge and wisdom
    (Etymology: The word psalms is derived from the Greek ?????? (psalmoi), originally meaning "songs sung to a harp", from psallein "play on a stringed instrument" like, for example, a piano, also a percussion one)
    Kara found the clue, the coordinates, in the music.

She taugh how to pilot Vipers. I found this representation of the Holy Spirit - http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo...e_(detail).jpg - that remainds me so much the vision of Starbuck -painted in her flat-, and her end, falling into a vortex of caleidoscopic fires, a black hole the allows traveles in time and life.

Wikipedia: "There are some Christian groups who teach that the Holy Spirit is feminine, or has feminine aspects".

(Only if Kara Trace was or represent the Holy Spirit)

If there is a Holy Gost, there must be on the show the equivalence of the Father and the Son, so much humans and less perfects, like Kara.

Gaius Baltar was at the beggining and most part of the show the best exapmle of selfishness, but...

He bring a dead child to life (like Jesus did with Lazarus). He intervene between Cavil and the Commander, trying to convince the cylon; that allowed Kara to write the coordinates that bring them to Earth; in such way, he intervene between good and evil for our salvation. In the official page of BSG appears an image that remainds the Last Supper. The real Gaius Baltar and Caprica/Six are in the middle (Caprica in the middle -she is prettier- and Baltar aside, with the same separation between them that allows Dan Brown in his Da Vinci Code to suggest thate there is the Holy Grial). May Six be Mary Magdelene)?

Real Gaius Baltar sees Virtual Six (as real Six saws Virtual Baltar).

Virtual Six had and unconditional faith in God and God plans (mormons ussually spoke about the plan of God), but it seems to me that she spoke about that with more simple and absolute faith. At the end of the last episode, when Virtuals Baltar and Caprica spoke -in a way that resembles the talk beetween the oracle and the arquitechre in matrix- about God plans, Baltar turn down his glasses, looked with irony to Six and said "He doesn't like being called God" I think that Virtual Baltar is speaking of him in third person, without modesty, like a King.

Real Baltar represent Jesus and the virtual one, the Father. But, of course, they are very selfish and frivolous. They are a God between the olimpic ones and ours. Maybe that would explains the powerty and the iniquity of the world that we saw at the end of the show and in the real life. Maybe with that God, there cannot be another world.

Virtual Six told real baltar that Helo and Boomer would have "their child". Hera would be then the Dan Brown´s Holy Grial, the son of Jesus and Mary Magdelen. That increases the significance of Hera. She helped Kara to find Earth cordinates. Baltar is human and the cylon Six is red, like the apple that Eve ate and brought the original sin to the mankind. Maybe because of this, god and evil, selfissness and religiousness are inside every human.

Real Baltar was a farmer, not a carpenter but almost a sheperd, a sheperd of souls?.
    In other hand, there are twelve persons in the table of The Last Supper that represents the main photo on the official page. Saul colud be Saint Paul (real Saint Paul was Saul of Tarso before falling from the donkey, and he hated christians before becoming one of them).

I don't know that I agree with everything you're saying, but (spelling/grammar aside) that's pretty solid for your first post at GW. Stick around
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Thank you very much for your kindly welcome.

Comment

Good work, likewise don't agree with 100%. But good work.

Edit it and put *spoiler* tho; not everybody has gotten to see the last bit of BSG yet.
        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Thank you very much for your opinion, Mongoletsi!

I´m afraid I´m not be able to put "spoiler" in the first message; I can´t edit it, maybe because there is a link on it, or because I don´t have permission (or knowledge) for the editión. I´ll aprecciate very much any help or suggestions to solve this.

Thanks again.

Pablo.

Comment

Spoiler tags are no longer needed for BSG
            and the new members on Probie Status are not able to edit their own posts.
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Thank you for the explanation, TameFarrar

Comment

Your argument does make sense, and since I saw that episode I thought that her and her dad were simply angels. But assuming she is the holy spirit, what is her father, the one that appeared for a little while did the final five song and then dissapeared like the angels did at the end?
                http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X