This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishCommander View Post
    Well Stargate is probably a bigger Franchise than Terminator since the past two Terminator films haven't been as good as the first two. Plus Stargate has a very rich universe, something Terminator doesn't have. Star Trek and Star Wars on the other hand are still massive compared to Stargate.
    Absolutely not. Quality of the films has nothing to do with how popular a franchise is. Terminator is very good evidence of this. Terminator makes summer blockbuster films that everyone and their dog goes to see. Its really freaking big money. StarGate, even as much better as it often is, is still a fairly niche market.

Also after thinking about the whole premise of Stargate (SG-1) it fits really well with an MMO or a Video Game in general since it is four people who go through the gate together on missions and get technology for defense against the enemy. So Worlds, or Resistance, or whatever games will come in the future will be good and won't be as bad as the Farscape game.
    Absolutely agreed with you here.

Also, wondering if they realize there's already been a novel titled StarGate: Resistance? I've got it, I just haven't read it yet. Its the fifth in the Bill McCay series of original movie sequels
    "All I wanna do is see the universe and eat pie"
    "Who doesn't?"

Comment

If the game succeeds it will have little or nothing to do with how much of the Stargate fan base they hit, these games will be marketed at all gamers, the recognizability of the brand might be a factor, but the size of the fanbase will be largely irrelevant. It always makes me laugh when people say Stargate can't make it big with movies or games because of the size of it's fan base, like it's somehow relevant. As long as the quality and marketing is there you can make a success of any project, whether it has a massive existing fan base like Star Trek, or a non existent one like the Matrix did.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        a non existent one like the Matrix did.
        A nonexistent fanbase for The Matrix? I doubt that. But, indeed the game's success does not rely on the shows fanbases. A good game is a good game.

Comment

I doubt that this new game will be release seeing as they are having problems with SGW anyway. Id say give SGW to a larger company like BioWare or another big name company since they have the resources to make the game, make it WELL, and market it well, and let Cheyenne Mountain work on a smaller project like this new one. I'm not saying they are bad at what they do all I'm saying is that an MMO is very very hard to make, alot harder then a regular game, why do you think that there are only a hand full of successful MMOs out there?
          Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
            I doubt that this new game will be release seeing as they are having problems with SGW anyway. Id say give SGW to a larger company like BioWare or another big name company since they have the resources to make the game, make it WELL, and market it well, and let Cheyenne Mountain work on a smaller project like this new one. I'm not saying they are bad at what they do all I'm saying is that an MMO is very very hard to make, alot harder then a regular game, why do you think that there are only a hand full of successful MMOs out there?

But I am thrilled THRILLLED to hear that there could be...even the slimmest of hopes...for a good TPS game based on SG, I love those games a lot better then the First Person shooter, and for something with teh stargate name it is a must, if they are going to use the characters from the show as playable characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              A nonexistent fanbase for The Matrix? I doubt that. But, indeed the game's success does not rely on the shows fanbases. A good game is a good game.
              Who had heard of The Matrix before the movie?

Comment

Oh, thats what you meant. Sorry!

Comment

Exciting! Keep us informed

Comment

Of the majority of regular joes who are fans of the Matrix, how many of them know about Plato's The Cave?

I'm not a big fan of FPS, so if this is an FPS, well, we'll see lol. Sometimes games surprise you.

And for the love of the Asgard, please don't give SGW to Bioware cuz that means EA aka the parent company of Bioware will have some control over it. *shudder* EA's prone to ridiculously bad decisions.

So I can protect you from evil feathers, but you won't save me from the wrath of Elizabeth? Some lover you are.

Comment

I have been a fan of stargate since I saw the stargate movie. I would love a good stargate game. As far as fan base goes with regards to how well something is when it comes to games the original fanbase has nothing to do with how good the game will be. There are games I have played based on things that I have hated but loved the game. I would love a chance to play as Teal'C with a Jaffa staff weapon but I dont see Stargate Worlds getting finished unless it is given to a bigger company. The sad reality is even if it makes it to a bigger company doesnt guarentee it will be good. I'm not saying I want the game to fail but I think we can all agree its been taking longer then it should to make.
                      1LT Chris Barden United States Marines
                      Alpha Site Security Team member

Aftermath RP:
                      1st Lt. Chris Barden

Teal'C and Major Lorne -SSU RP

General Hammond: Colonel O'Neil what the hell are doing?!

O'Neill: In the middle of my backswing!?

Comment

If it’s a good shooter as well as a good stargate game, then they have an opportunity to appeal larger audience than just the existing fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by 1LTBarden View Post
                          As far as fan base goes with regards to how well something is when it comes to games the original fanbase has nothing to do with how good the game will be.
                          And I never said that it did. I just said that the fanbase does have something to do with whether its worth it to the game companies to make the game. Licenses are expensive, and its much more difficult to build a game according to the specifications of someone else's world, as opposed to your own. If you aren't going to see adequate returns from it, then there's no point in making the game.
                          "Who doesn't?"

Comment

I really hope this goes somewhere - third time lucky? Provided it isn't an MMO, and ideally goes to consoles, I'll be a happy 'lurk. Always thought the Gateverse was a really natural fit for a game franchise, and yet only the fan projects seem to be doing anything remotely successful.

Now I'm daydreaming about online deathmatch with a four man SG team versus Jaffa over XBL...or an SG-flavoured version of Gears' Horde mode (or ODST firefight, if you prefer)....

And as for campaign, oh boy.

To CME: For the love of all that's holy and spinning, don't screw this one up.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

See, the truly great thing I think would be if it came to PC with a full SDK. Sure, there've been plenty of SG mods for various games, but they've all been just weapon and character mods for the most part. An actual SG game with an SDK would mean not only would we get a professional campaign, we'd get all sorts of fan campaigns, some of which would probably be just as good if not better than the one that comes with the game. That was the best thing about the AVP PC games, was the user-created content.
                              "Who doesn't?"

Comment

If they do do this this could be a launching pad for things that are bigger and better. It is almost insane for a brandnew out of the works company to be doing an MMO.
                                Do something smaller, a lot more managable, get it out there, get known, get people into it, and then see what you can do in the future

Comment

Working...
                                X