Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallifrey, Time Lords, and TARDISes, outside the flow of time? Some mindless spec

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallifrey, Time Lords, and TARDISes, outside the flow of time? Some mindless spec

I can't sleep, and I was laying in bed thinking on Gallifrey of all things, don't ask why. Here's what I was pondering....

We know from old Who that Gallifrey has a location in space, and IIRC it gets mentioned in new Who once or twice too. So we know it's not something non-existent, accessible only by TARDISes

We know from old Who that Gallifrey is protected from any outside access by some kind of force field, which also allows(allowed) them to be completely outside the affairs of the universe at large. We also know from new Who, that the Time War, Time Lords, and Daleks are considered something of a myth.

This makes me kind of wonder--is/was Gallifrey in some sort of permanent state of temporal flux? So that it both exists and does not exist simultaneously? The Time Lords seem to have (had) no trouble coming and going, and they pretty much always visited their home within an equal span of their own life, didn't they? And by that I mean, if the Time Lord has been to the beginning of the universe, 5 billion years into the future, and 10 years ago last Tuesday--but it's been 6 months in his lifespan, when he shows up on Gallifrey next, it's been 6 months there too?

Makes me ponder whether it's some sort of basic biological connection, being born and raised on Gallifrey, or whether it has something to do with the TARDISes (originally) drawing their energy from the Eye of Harmony; and the TARDIS having a connection field with its passengers (like how it does with languages).

....I really shouldn't think on temporal mechanics when I'm trying to sleep, should I?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'm not sure if this was from a classic who episode or a book, but I recall it being mentioned that Time Lords weren't allowed to travel into the future of Gallifrey to change things affecting them because of the collossal power and problems that could cause. Hence why I always thought the Doctor was actually from VERY far into the future.

Obviously with the good Doctor going to the end of the universe, this is now defunct, but possibly only because the Time Lords are now gone. I think there was temporal management to make sure that time lords existing within the logical progression of Gallifreyen time.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Is the Timelord story all part of the one continuity?

Comment

A lot of my reasoning in that textual diarrhea stems from the fact that Time Lords are time travellers by nature, and yet did not see in advance their own demise. It was my deduction, therefore, that being outside the flow of natural time while still experiencing their own relative time-flow made this possible.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think FOB's right, the Time Lords were either forbidden or physically incapable of travelling into Gallifrey's future. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that on a Wiki (make of that what you will).

Maybe Time Lords and TARDISes are synchronised to Gallifrey time - no matter where or when they are, whenever they return to Gallifrey, as much time will have passed as that Time Lord will have experienced since they were last on Gallifrey.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
            Maybe Time Lords and TARDISes are synchronised to Gallifrey time - no matter where or when they are, whenever they return to Gallifrey, as much time will have passed as that Time Lord will have experienced since they were last on Gallifrey.
            I believe that's what I said, albeit in a roundabout way

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I believe that's what I said, albeit in a roundabout way
              Very likely, I basically just skimmed through your post TBH!!
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Understandable, I was having trouble sleeping when I wrote it

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Understandable, I was having trouble sleeping when I wrote it
                  Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but...

And yet this bout of insomnia produced DigiFluid's Theory of Gallifreyan Location and Chronology Independent Synchronisation!
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay, I'm paying attention this time. If Time Lords and TARDISes are synchronised with Gallifrey and cannot travel forwards or backwards into their time streams, does this mean the Doctor cannot simply chip off a bit of TARDIS coral, set it on an uninhabited planet and grow a replacement for his TARDIS in the event his perishes or requires spare parts? It would mean waiting for the new TARDIS to mature, which I'm fairly sure I've heard takes thousands of years rather than simply popping ahead a couple of millennia and taking what he needs.

Also, what does the destruction of Gallifrey mean for the Doctor and his TARDIS? Are they now simply synchronised to each other?
                    sigpic

Comment

Okay, I'm paying attention this time. If Time Lords and TARDISes are synchronised with Gallifrey and cannot travel forwards or backwards into their time streams, does this mean the Doctor cannot simply chip off a bit of TARDIS coral, set it on an uninhabited planet and grow a replacement for his TARDIS in the event his perishes or requires spare parts? It would mean waiting for the new TARDIS to mature, which I'm fairly sure I've heard takes thousands of years rather than simply popping ahead a couple of millennia and taking what he needs.

Also, what does the destruction of Gallifrey mean for the Doctor and his TARDIS? Are they now simply synchronised to each other?
                      On the last note, I'd assume so, as he went to the end of the universe, something that would have previously been impossible.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I think the Time War has been going on since before the start of the show, possibly the reason behind why Doctor fled in his Tardis in the first place.
                        Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
                        Spoiler:
                        "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
                        "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
                        "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
                        "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
                        "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamid View Post
                          I think the Time War has been going on since before the start of the show, possibly the reason behind why Doctor fled in his Tardis in the first place.
                          No, it's been suggested by RTD that 'Genesis of the Daleks' was the first strike of the Time War.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            No, it's been suggested by RTD that 'Genesis of the Daleks' was the first strike of the Time War.
                            Indeed. I kinda think of Genesis of the Daleks as like the Assasination of the Archduke Ferdinand before the start of World War 1. To me Rememberance of the Daleks held the initial shots fired. With Dalek episodes in between featuring the Daleks moving their pieces in posistion to begin a Timewar.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

A lot of this topic is going way over my head, so I'll stick to the more simple info instead..
                              BTW... my hubby considers this show as *mindless entertainment*.. great for escaping reality.

I'm going to guess that when *in transit* inside the TARDIS -- the Doctor and his Tardis have always existed "outside time and space" -- because that is what the Doctor said in one of his earlier selves. He could set the co-ordinates to any time/place to visit or oversee, but usually the TARDIS has a mind of its own. It always takes the Doctor to where he is needed the most.. which makes the viewer wonder if the TARDIS is a higher, sentient being in the first place -- sort of like a Guardian or "godlike, but in need of an assistant".

In the early days/years of DOCTOR WHO, the TARDIS was simply a traveling vehicle.. and tempermental at times, just like the Doctor.
                              The Doctor's TARDIS model is a type 40. It was decommissioned because it was out-of-service for repairs, but sat waiting and got stolen by the Doctor instead.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how the mechanics of this all works, because the Doctor ended up being imprinted with the TARDIS' matrix, which got absorbed into his physical or meta-physical being. According to Time Lord lore, only one Time Lord could receive the TARDIS' imprint for the duration of use. Therefore, it was forever in sync with that particular Time Lord it imprinted with. In the Doctor's case, he was forever in sync with this type 40, but (as far as I know) no one ever found out how..
                              unless there is a detail about it in THE DEADLY ASSASSIN eppy.
                              And I'm not sure (and don't remember the details) about any fail-safe's that might be contingent or built-into the TARDIS' systems --if-- the imprinted *owner* who has the key/controls of the TARDIS ends up dying, before the TARDIS can return back to Gallifrey or wherever it is supposed to go -- during those specific occasions.

moving along.. If a previous TARDIS owner had that TARDIS' model imprint placed within them, how could another Time Lord gain access to that imprint, unless there is something in there that caused the previously imprinted owner to decease and pass on the imprint to someone new. Perhaps the Doctor's TARDIS was being fitted with a new imprint? have no idea. The type 40 TARDIS is supposed to work with several Time Lords (or assistants) operating the controls -- as was shown in "Journey's End"

The heart of the TARDIS contains a black hole. That is where it gains its main energy-power supply source from.
                              The whole sentient theory has often been speculated about, with the doctor hinting around that the TARDIS often has a mind of its own.. but none of that sentient theory was ever fully cemented, until Doc#9 met Rose, after she absorbed the heart of the TARDIS and became whatever energy being the TARDIS was.

Okay, that's all I know for the moment.
                              Last edited by SGalisa; 06 January 2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X