This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Addresses on Destiny & in SGU

You know of course that since the Ancients had no way of determining in advance where the stargates would be placed, and thus their stargate addresses, that there's every reason to believe that the gate on Destiny does not follow the same type of dialing schema as all of the other stargate networks. Further more, the gates that have been set by the ships ahead of Destiny, must have a different dialing plan themselves otherwise a gate on a planet would never be able to dial Destiny should Destiny be in a near-orbit. Granted, the ancients could have planned on using the shuttles if Destiny was too close to dial.
    The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

The seeder ships sent back coordinates and flavor data on the planets they seeded.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
      The seeder ships sent back coordinates and flavor data on the planets they seeded.
      Right, but if the concept behind stargate addresses is that the chevrons represent various celestial reference points, the Ancients wouldn't have anyway of predicting what those reference points were when they launched Destiny, hence they wouldn't have been able to configure the gate on Destiny to use those reference points. Hence the dialing plan is different.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
        True, however that does not mean that the Destiny gates don't use a different form of the gate system. Actually since the Destiny is sooo old it would be illogical to assume that the destiny gate system is the same as the gate systems in the other galaxies we are farmiliar with. Most likely the Destiny uses any and all resources available to determine where to dial.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone knew if the Destiny's gate adress is a code that stands for Destiny's gate's subspace signiture, because it couldn't stand for its location [because it is in constant motion] is cannon or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean 7921 View Post
          On another note, I was wondering if anyone knew if the Destiny's gate adress is a code that stands for Destiny's gate's subspace signiture, because it couldn't stand for its location [because it is in constant motion] is cannon or not.
          It could be something to do with the ninth chevron. Perhaps it represents motion.

Comment

Instead of 'celestial reference points' or constellations, I'd just assume a grid-like layout that is the same for each galaxy. Or, some other means of keeping it standardized, like say, the closest equivalent location in one galaxy being usable for the other.
            I'm really not sure how else you could use, say, the Atlantis DHD to dial Earth in the Milky Way... seems you'd HAVE to dial a planet in the same position in Pegasus. (but using an 8th chevron)
            Frankly, I had the same question about the (Carter-McKay) intergalactic gate bridge. I just assume that since the 7th symbol when you dial normally effectively "charts a course", they just have to get the macro they upload each time to make the gate dial "that way"

Comment

Originally posted by marks47 View Post
              Instead of 'celestial reference points' or constellations, I'd just assume a grid-like layout that is the same for each galaxy. Or, some other means of keeping it standardized, like say, the closest equivalent location in one galaxy being usable for the other.
              I'm really not sure how else you could use, say, the Atlantis DHD to dial Earth in the Milky Way... seems you'd HAVE to dial a planet in the same position in Pegasus. (but using an 8th chevron)
              Frankly, I had the same question about the (Carter-McKay) intergalactic gate bridge. I just assume that since the 7th symbol when you dial normally effectively "charts a course", they just have to get the macro they upload each time to make the gate dial "that way"
              I don't know if a grid system would be a viable system if a galaxy is irregularly shaped. It could be as arbitrary as having all the gate addresses determined by the order in which the seeder ships arrived in a particular galaxy. Really, it could be anything and I get the feeling that TPTB won't be exploring this in great detail.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                the Ancients wouldn't have anyway of predicting what those reference points were when they launched Destiny
                Not sure about that mate - the Ancients surely intended to visit Destiny within thousands, if not hundreds, of years.
                Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by marks47 View Post
                  It's my understanding that the bridge is simply a string of gates from point A to point B and that to access it its a matter of dialing the gate address for the first gate on your side. I think that the writer's actually explained it in the eps in which it was built and subsequently used.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                    Not sure about that mate - the Ancients surely intended to visit Destiny within thousands, if not hundreds, of years.
                    My point was that at the moment in time that Destiny was launched, the Ancients would not have known anything about the galaxies that it was going to visit, since they had never been there, ergo they wouldn't have any way of tying the celestial reference points to specific chevrons on the gate on Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean 7921 View Post
                      True, however that does not mean that the Destiny gates don't use a different form of the gate system. Actually since the Destiny is sooo old it would be illogical to assume that the destiny gate system is the same as the gate systems in the other galaxies we are farmiliar with. Most likely the Destiny uses any and all resources available to determine where to dial.

The address would have to be such that it could be reached regardless of Destiny's position since it'd be impossible to accurately calculate its position at any specific point in time. It'd be like pointing a lazer at a car on a highway from a fixed position, the lazer would have to move to remain on the car.

Logic would dictate that the Ancients refined the design of the gate over time. Since we don't know when Destiny was launched it could be that its gates represent a third-generation design. (They're 3G!)

We know for a fact that the gates in Pegasus are of a later design than those of the Milky Way. But there's nothing to indicate that the Destiny gates were a step between the MW and Pegasus gates or an evolution of the Pegasus gates themselves.

It is entirely possible that the Ancients came up with an alternate design entirely for the Destiny gates throwing out the dialing plan of the other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                        We know for a fact that the gates in Pegasus are of a later design than those of the Milky Way. But there's nothing to indicate that the Destiny gates were a step between the MW and Pegasus gates or an evolution of the Pegasus gates themselves.

It is entirely possible that the Ancients came up with an alternate design entirely for the Destiny gates throwing out the dialing plan of the other systems.
                        The gates and gate system for SGU actually predate the gate systems we saw in place in the Milky Way & Pegasus. Essentially, we're seeing the prototype gates.
                        sigpic

Comment

dont think of them as set areas in space but as directions from the ship, on esymbol may mean behind the ship 1,000 light years and another means to the right 500 lightyears...or maybe they are like combinations to each gate depending on when the seeder ships dropped them off.

Comment

Using This Image as a reference, lets look first at the symbols that are standins for constellations here.

Each "Chevron" appears to be made up of several symbols. The symbols I observe are:

Dot
                            Empty Circle
                            Filled Circle
                            Long Line
                            Medium Line
                            Small Line
                            Small Squiggly Line
                            Large Squiggly Line

Grand Total: 8 Identifiable Symbols

Groupings for these symbols range from 3 to 6 symbols for each Chevron.

Total of 54 Chevrons on the gate.

Each symbol on each chevron could represent an individual unit of data that builds up to a coordinate in space/time. Some coordinates are simple, others more complex as determined by the varying symbols on each Chevron.

From there it's the standard seven chevrons to dial the gate.

This gives a low estimate of variables capable of being processed by the gate of 1296 (8 x 3 x 54) and a high of 2592 (8 x 6 x 54), or an average of 1944 different variables to factor in when dialling an address over galactic distances for each chevron... that translates out as 9072 variables for a 7 symbol address on the low estimate, 18144 for the high and 13608 variables for a seven symbol address on average.

This is chump change for any computer to calculate fairly easily... if my math is right that is. 4 AM does wonders you know

Whenever the Destiny enters a new galaxy it processes astronomical data on the fly and assigns gate addresses to those in range for exploration. The addresses it generates don't have to last for tens of thousands of years, so accountancy for stellar drift is not of as large a concern for Destiny and the seed gates as they were for the Milky Way and Pegasus.

Ergo, there are no DHD's to do correlative updates because they are, from the Destiny's mission's perspective, unnecessary. If Ancients decided to settle out in the seeded galaxies it would be up to them to build the DHD's and maintain the gate network long term. Destiny is there to make a quick stop, take a look at the neighbourhood and skedaddle.

I find it unlikely that Destiny is relying on coordinates fed in by the seed ships. Astronomical and geographical data perhaps, but coordinates are unlikely due to stellar drift. As there are no DHD's and correlative updates to compensate for the drift, any coordinates sent to them from the seed ships would be completely invalid by the time the Destiny slummed it through the neighbourhood.

Now, I'm going to get some rest. Sleep deprivation makes me overthink things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                              The gates and gate system for SGU actually predate the gate systems we saw in place in the Milky Way & Pegasus. Essentially, we're seeing the prototype gates.
                              Where's the proof of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X