This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there no theme song?

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis both had amazing theme songs.

I was pretty excited to hear the new theme song... and there wasn't one.

Does anyone know if there WILL be one? Or why they don't have one?

According to Joe Mallozzi, no. Although I suppose it could be argued that the music heard during the closing credits is it.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

As for the "why" part of that question... probably because SyFy doesn't want to "waste" time on a full opening credits sequence with a full theme song. It's just like when they cut the opening credit sequence from SG-1 in season 10. They want those extra few seconds for ad time. At least, that's my guess.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Hm. Well that's very uncool. I always loved the Stargate theme songs. They were always my favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
          Hm. Well that's very uncool. I always loved the Stargate theme songs. They were always my favourites.
          Me too, but I started to lose interest in them after I had heard them a few times. I know it's unlikely, but I hope that they'll include some kind of opening title sequence in the DVD's.
          sigpic

Comment

They're cheesy and outdated, the show doesn't need one.

Comment

There's a few-note riff when the title is shown. If you want a song just sing'SGU is awesome' to the tune. Brief but to the point.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                i agree, i like it the way it is, its a welcome change. and, we still get the theme music at the end anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                  As for the "why" part of that question... probably because SyFy doesn't want to "waste" time on a full opening credits sequence with a full theme song. It's just like when they cut the opening credit sequence from SG-1 in season 10. They want those extra few seconds for ad time. At least, that's my guess.
                  Every episode of SGU opens with a voice over of Dr. Rush's voice giving a recap of the series premise. That could be considered "wasted time" as well. But since it's there, why not just take that sequence and convert it into a brief opening title sequence? That way no time would be "wasted".

As for SG1 season 10, the titles were cut only for Syfy's airings, not Space in Canada, the syndicated package, or the DVDs, which all kept the titles intact. The same applies for the late season 5 episodes of SGA.

That's your opinion. IMO the brief SGU blurb following the opening is simply banal. You can read a book or a magazine without a cover and still enjoy the contents but having a cover adds a bit of class. Take the brief opening title sequence for Sanctuary. It's about 30 seconds but it's a nice tone setter for the show, brief as it is. They could have come with something along this line for SGU.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

The introduction sequences for SG-1 and Atlantis were more than a bit tacky, for want of a more eloquent word. I much prefer the short, neutral introduction of universe. I'd say rather than a dedicated title theme they should just cut the vocal music and put in more of the actual music written for the series.

Comment

some of us find them AMAZING, I love Joel Goldsmith's music!!!!

Heck I've got it on my ipod
                      General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
                        The introduction sequences for SG-1 and Atlantis were more than a bit tacky, for want of a more eloquent word. I much prefer the short, neutral introduction of universe. I'd say rather than a dedicated title theme they should just cut the vocal music and put in more of the actual music written for the series.
                        I guess if your a record company you like nothing more than to "place" a fledgling song somewhere in a tv show,

but on the other hand if you like "a book with a well made cover" then you TOTALLY APPRECIATE an amazing Theme Song, such as SG1/A had.

It's called branding.
                        General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
                          Heck I've got it on my ipod
                          ...and it's the ring tone on my cell.

It saddens me that SGU doesn't have a theme song... perhaps they may change their minds, come season 2 (assuming we get the OK).

Comment

If they had a theme song you all would be disappointed with it anyways because it would be nothing like SG1 and SGA. Those were, for lack of a better term, 'happy' songs. SGU would have a dark and dreary theme song that, to me, wouldn't bring anything to the show. And if they did have a 'happy' theme song, it would be totally out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                              If they had a theme song you all would be disappointed with it anyways because it would be nothing like SG1 and SGA. Those were, for lack of a better term, 'happy' songs. SGU would have a dark and dreary theme song that, to me, wouldn't bring anything to the show. And if they did have a 'happy' theme song, it would be totally out of place.
                              The ending theme would probably have been the theme song, and it didn't seem very dark and dreary to me.

Stargate Universe - Ending Theme
                              Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 23 November 2009, 10:31 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X