Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that hates the whole Young/wife side-plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one that hates the whole Young/wife side-plot?

I thought Scott's and that psychologist's (can't remember her name, sorry!) relationships with people on Earth were great and realistic. But Young's was and always has been just annoying on so many levels. It's exactly the kind of soap-opera-I-could-get-this-on-any-terrible-drama-show plot that I hate every time it finds its way into an episode (which is pretty much every episode).

Gah! Enough with it already! I liked Young's character before he started acting like he did in this episode. Now every time I think of him I think of his "scandalous" actions back on Earth (never jump to conclusions, surely a colonel would know this?).

Anyone else feel the same way?

Yeah, to me they ruined it. For a military commanding officer he has the restraint and sense of priority of a horny teenager. People on destiny are trying to talk to him about something that is CLEARLY important and he is stomping around trying to figure out who cut short his whoopass, which after he had time to calm down about still proceeded to complete. As a result of him being just another character who is not likable (imo) its difficult to care about the object of his affection who he occasionally bones in somebody else's body.

Comment

I like it. Hes so even headed and a great leader on destiny but is terrible with women. I couldnt picture Hammond effing one of his subordinates and then kicking the hell out of another officer for birddogging his wife. But Hammond was perfect, larger than life. Thats why he has a multi billion dollar ship named after him. Ive never done anything like that, I have however been in Youngs situation with his womenz, and now hes alittle more real to me than a larger than life icon like weve had before.

Comment

*sigh*

he had an affair with TJ for an *obviously* short time. his wife found out, they stopped etc and they buried it.

telford and Young don't see eye to eye and well, they hate eachother, and well, Telford is digging up and throwing mud.

no i do not hate it.

Comment

In short, no.

I am starting to get more aggravated as it goes on because i realize now that SGU isn't going to be anything like SG1 and SGA. I can't think of one thing in this episode that got me excited. I agree the story is good bla bla bla but it's not Stargate anymore.
          sigpic

Comment

Besides the conflict on the Destiny like with Rush and Young which were great, the Young and his wife scenes and conflicts were actually entertaining unlike the other scenes on Earth.

Someone needs to airlock those stones, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't need to watch that stuff,, I want SGU, not a soap opera that is bs,.... the military would never allow these people to do this stuff.. those people would have never even gotten close to the Gate program without being checked to see if they were totally insane, which these people appear to be..
              My Story:
              http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

No. You're not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                  I am starting to get more aggravated as it goes on because i realize now that SGU isn't going to be anything like SG1 and SGA.
                  I can't see why people still are confused about this. No one said it was going to be like SG-1 and SGA.

Comment

lots of people even in SG1 were insane or at least, not normal. but they have qualities that are needed.

Young is a fine commander. it's just that we're in abnormal situations. they're not in a city in pristine conditions with plenty of power and within a few weeks range of earth. they're not surrounded by the best of the best, they do not have lots of comforts that atlantis had.

it's still stargate, it's a different stargate. i believe that over time, it will more and more find a place of its own, and i think it can only get better.

may i also remind that most people in SG1 never HAD any wives or husbands or family to be mad at?

O'neill: divorced, dead son.

Carter: no mom, angry father, angry brother

Teal'c: traitor of the goauld, wife hated him.

Jackson: no parents, no brothers, and the freak of the earth.

Cam Mitchell: parents, no wife or children

Vala: father she hated, mother dead or missing or so. wanted or hated.

Quinn: betrayed his people, no wife, no kids.

and SGA:

Sheppard: divorced.
                    Mckay: no wife, no kids.
                    Ford: unknown, but i bet no wife and kids.
                    Teyla: no husband (well, later on husband and kid)
                    Ronon: dead wife, no kids.

Gen. Hammond: no wife (i believe dead, only has grandchildred as Nr. 1 on his red
                    phone).

Landry: wife (who hated him), kid (adult, who disliked him).

Weir: husband, probably divorced as he didnt like her leaving and indicated he had another.

so there aren't a lot of married people and not a lot of people with parents or kids.

so, they introduce ONE commander who does more with his wife than looking at her picture, and suddenly it's all bad.

icarus was supposed to be easy, instead it all went wrong and he ended up FAR away.

scott has impregnated a girl (and the only man on stargate previously that managed to impregnate ANYONE was Daniel, who did it with a goauld queen)

Chloe has sex. well, she's the first woman to show that. mckay is un-social enough to never do it with keller. and it was never implied either.

so hey, the first woman to be successfull on stargate.

oh next. right, eli got "friendzoned" as people call it. well, he's the first too.

i'm sorry that we're going for realism

Comment

I can't see why people still are confused about this. No one said it was going to be like SG-1 and SGA.
                      i distinctly remember buzzwords and trailers and sneakpeaks shouting "DARKER" "EDGIER", even " SCI FI REINVENTS THE GATE" "A DIFFERENT STARGATE". "AN ORIGINAL SERIES"
                      "DIFFERENT" "STAND ALONE"

so yes, i agree with you. i really do not see why people would STILL have the hope that it's gonna be more like SG1 and SGA, when every producer, writer, actor etc has said that it's gonna be different.

i gotta say i like it. not too big a fan of the sex scenes. but i do not hate them. love the return to SG1 humor and the abandonment of SGA humor

Comment

I don't hate it but it's a storyline that really isn't working for me.

Young's marriage is in trouble, it was before he ended up on Destiny. Young knows he messed up by having an affair, he wants to try to make it work but deep down he knows he isn't going to be able to save the marriage as he is not there to work through the details with his wife and Telford is running interference as Telford knows that Young's wife is vulnerable right now. Young has gotta be angry that he isn't there to work things out.

Great idea for a story conflict but somehow it just isn't working for me...I think it is how they are using the stones in this storyline. The storyline feels forced.
                        sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I like this side story, it adds conflict to both the life on the ship, and on earth.

Comment

I don't much like it, but that has a lot to do with not being impressed with Young's wife. The performance seems so standard issue to me, everything about it. That hurts the already-rather-iffy nature of the subplot.

I also agree that I like Young less now that he's doing all of this. I liked him a fair bit before, but now he's mid-tier or so. I want another man as strong-willed and believable-when-he-falls as William Adama. I was hoping Young would be something vaguely similar but stand on his own as a well-rounded and likable character. While it's true that his command is still compelling, we don't see enough of him as a leader because we're subjected to him as a married man on a mission.
                            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              I like it. Hes so even headed and a great leader on destiny but is terrible with women. I couldnt picture Hammond effing one of his subordinates and then kicking the hell out of another officer for birddogging his wife. But Hammond was perfect, larger than life. Thats why he has a multi billion dollar ship named after him. Ive never done anything like that, I have however been in Youngs situation with his womenz, and now hes alittle more real to me than a larger than life icon like weve had before.
                              Hammond was a cardboard cutout character. People are complex.

Comment

Working...
                              X