Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it's possible to build a Stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    Happy 1500 post.
    thanks, i didint even notice. all i need is another 500 and then ill be a major.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

nox AND tollan devised a way to get to tollana. the "way" was the stargate.

it seems like the nox borrowed them a ship and showed them how a stargate worked, then the tollan made their version and they had their permanent way.

or the nox simply contacted the tollan homeworld, gave the technology of the stargate, then the tollans built it and the refugees could go home

Comment

nox AND tollan devised a way to get to tollana. the "way" was the stargate.

it seems like the nox borrowed them a ship and showed them how a stargate worked, then the tollan made their version and they had their permanent way.

or the nox simply contacted the tollan homeworld, gave the technology of the stargate, then the tollans built it and the refugees could go home
        There is no evidence for this. The way that they got there seems far more logical if it was by ship. Why have them go through the trouble of building a gate when there's already a solution?

There is no evidence that the Nox gave the Tollan any technology for the Stargate, so I don't know why this has been going on for the better part of 10 years.

If it has not been said enough....

Spoiler:
        There Is No Evidence.

Unless someone can come up with canon that says otherwise, I believe that this argument is over.

On topic: We would need to be able to learn how to even seed other planets if we wanted the Stargates to work. Of course, unless if you could have as many active wormholes on a planet as you could generate.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Atlantis Girl View Post
          What do you think?
          You mean one that actually works by conveying information and matter stream via wormhole? Hard to tell at this point. Opening a new wormhole requires an augmentation to the topology of space time. There is no known mechanism for that. No evidence for wormholes simply existing naturally either.

If we manage to find a wormhole or learn to open one at will, the rest is purely an engineering challenge. A UC or quantum teleportation system with a buffer and a micro-wormhole link is sufficient for stargate-like operation. Barring some cataclysmic event wiping us out, we will get to this kind of technology eventually.

Of course, I would expect this same technology to give us short-range transport before that. Something, perhaps, a bit more like the ring transport that does not rely on buffer or wormhole. That would simplify transport dramatically. Very basic prototypes for this kind of transport might become reality within decades.

There is also a possibility that we will end up using something entirely different than a wormhole to connect remote locations. Matter stream is not necessary at all. Elementary particles are indistinguishable, so matter elsewhere is just as good as matter here. That would mean that only information needs to be sent from gate-to-gate. Then, as long as you figure out a good method of faster-than-light communication, you don't really need an actual wormhole.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

you're saying, destroy your old body and build a new one on location?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              you're saying, destroy your old body and build a new one on location?
              Depends. If only a UC method is available, yes. But this brings up a whole lot of questions on nature of life, etc.

A good way to avoid this is to use Quantum Teleportation. In that case, there is absolutely no discontinuity. Quantum state, which defines who and what you are among other things, is carried from one collection of particles to another. There is no duplication, and more importantly, observer timeline is uninterrupted. So you can conclusively say that this is equivalent to the person being taken from one location and carried to another in every way.

Looks familiar?

Comment

hey i think i have found something for what you are looking for cause science is looking into it now

http://science.discovery.com/videos/...-universe.html

Comment

there's no point speculating on technology when the science does not exist
                  it all depends on FTL being possible and so far it looks like it isn't

my money is on not possible

Originally posted by scfiguy244 View Post
                  hey i think i have found something for what you are looking for cause science is looking into it now

http://science.discovery.com/videos/...-universe.html
                  this is hardly scientific, there is no evidence there is such a thing as negative matter, and he is speculating black holes lead to parallel universes.
                  it would be much easier just sending a bunch of robots to the nearest blackhole, the only problem is making sure they survive crossing the event horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                    there's no point speculating on technology when the science does not exist
                    Actually, it does. Technology utilizing that science doesn't. There is a big difference.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                      Actually, it does. Technology utilizing that science doesn't. There is a big difference.
                      how so?

Comment

We have an entire field of physics devoted to space-time manifolds, including wormholes and their use for time travel. And then we have quantum physics, that gives us things like teleportation, quantum computing, and even some limited faster-than-light capabilities.

Looks familiar?

Comment

science employs the scientific method of empirical evidence
                          wormholes are theory, they are just geometric solutions that require negative matter which does not exist.
                          just like there are nearly infinite solutions to string theory that predict universes which have no bearing on our reality.
                          we don't have the science to tell us whether wormholes are real or just vacuum solutions that describe an impossible state of vacuum.
                          and quantum physics in no way allows for FTL, it only gives results that appear instantaneous because of the quantum wave nature of matter.

Comment

First of all, part of scientific method is that once a particular model is sufficiently well tested, its new predictions are accepted as requiring little or no evidence until contradiction is found. General Relativity is one of the best tested theories out there.

Known solutions that allow for traversable wormholes do require "negative" energy densities, or more specifically, energy densities that are lower than vacuum zero point energy. Yes, there is no evidence for that, and models predicting it are somewhat weak. But keep in mind that there is no direct confirmation that negative energy is necessary. We simply don't know a solution where it is not.

Quantum mechanics does allow for faster-than-light directly, and it has nothing to do with EPR or any other nonsense spawning from poor reading of Copenhagen interpretation. Don't worry, I know QM well enough to know the difference.

Tunneling is a well understood phenomenon that does allow signal to cross a barrier in time that is less than that required by light. There is experimental evidence showing that under-barrier signal can reach detector faster than light-delayed signal.

Looks familiar?

Comment

First of all, part of scientific method is that once a particular model is sufficiently well tested, its new predictions are accepted as requiring little or no evidence until contradiction is found. General Relativity is one of the best tested theories out there.
                              the solutions are not in doubt just whether they are actually physical, which general relativity does not cover. in fact we don't have a consistent (not semi-classical) theory that does.
                              dark matter is evidence enough GR can't be taken as gospel at all scales
                              Known solutions that allow for traversable wormholes do require "negative" energy densities, or more specifically, energy densities that are lower than vacuum zero point energy. Yes, there is no evidence for that, and models predicting it are somewhat weak. But keep in mind that there is no direct confirmation that negative energy is necessary. We simply don't know a solution where it is not.
                              in other words, no evidence that it does at all.
                              Quantum mechanics does allow for faster-than-light directly, and it has nothing to do with EPR or any other nonsense spawning from poor reading of Copenhagen interpretation. Don't worry, I know QM well enough to know the difference.

Tunneling is a well understood phenomenon that does allow signal to cross a barrier in time that is less than that required by light. There is experimental evidence showing that under-barrier signal can reach detector faster than light-delayed signal.
                              except there's no actual travel, the wave function simply extends beyond the barrier. like all quantum phenomena it's due to the quantum nature of matter not actual FTL transport.

Comment

Dark matter simply shows that we do not understand global structure of the space-time manifold. Not that GR actually fails. The problem could be purely topological, for example. The only problem with GR is that we don't have quantum gravity. As long as we stay away from quantum regime, GR works almost perfectly.

We do not have ground state solutions for nuclei with more than a few nucleons. Does that mean we have no understanding of heavy nuclei? No. It simply means that we do not have a complete understanding. I never claimed complete understanding of wormholes either. But we do know enough to make many statements on feasibility of wormhole travel.

You are making a big mistake comparing FTL transport and FTL propagation. Nothing propagates faster than light. In fact, I'll say more. Everything propagates at the speed of light in the 4-space. That's rather fundamental, and we aren't going to break that one. But that doesn't mean you can't have FTL transport. Tunneling is a mode of FTL transport. Information can be conveyed from point A to point B in time less than required for light to cover same distance.

The important feature of tunneling is that the wave function doesn't simply happen to be on the other side of the barrier. A packet arriving from extended location will be partially transmitted, and the transmitted packet will continue propagating to another extended location. Extended, in this context, meaning that it is far outside of uncertainty of the packet. The time for signal to get from origin to destination, again, far outside of its uncertainty range, can be shorter than time required sans barrier.

I can write out equations clearly demonstrating this, if you really need it.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                                X