Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it's possible to build a Stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamonds are far more difficult to make, and large diamonds are next to impossible to sell. Of course, I suppose, Sam could have cut it and pushed it piece by piece.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolfhero View Post
      Well it's gonna need something to power it up, especially 8th and 9th chevrons. lol
      Naquada reactors. We have a few to spare. Baring that, old school nuclear reactors.

Emeralds are tricky, but as with most artificial crystals, they are grown at very high temperatures, so a microwave makes sense. Stock material for a Emerald is a bit difficult to come by. You need a superheated solution containing beryllium, aluminum, and silica. A ruby or sapphire would be a lot easier to come up with. So I'm guessing Orlin was showing off.
      As I recall, microwaves work by essentially boiling water inside the object to be microwaved. The boiling water transfers its heat to the food, dish, etc. You can't superheat something using a kitchen microwave. My point with bringing up the emerald is that while Orlin used readily available materials to build the stargate (and the emerald) he probably did things with those materials that we could never hope to understand or replicate. It's like expecting a cave man to reverse-engineer an iPod. It's an incredible feat what Orlin did, and other than dissecting it to see what he used, there is not a lot we can do with that gate for now.
      Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

don't compare us whit the cave mans , and i have a argument : if we go back in time an tell a cave man about nuclear bombs he will start beating us whit a bat but if a alien starts telling us about atomic cutters then i am sure that a few scientist will understand what he said .
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Orlin is an Ancient. They were millions of years more advanced than us. On top of that, he was ascended, which means his mind was opened to the secrets of the universe (not omniscient mind you, but up there). I think saying we are cavemen compared to him is a fair comparison.

And your "argument" isn't quite relevant. We're talking about if we could reverse-engineer the gate Orlin built. If he were telling us how to make it like the Alien with the "atomic cutter" then it would be more likely we would succeed.
          Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
            As I recall, microwaves work by essentially boiling water inside the object to be microwaved. The boiling water transfers its heat to the food, dish, etc. You can't superheat something using a kitchen microwave.
            You are mistaken. Anything that absorbs microwave radiation in the specific frequency which microwave oven emits, will be heated by said microwave. Magnetrons in kitchen microwaves are tuned to the absorption frequency of water. That doesn't mean that water is the only thing that can absorb it. If you go into your local supermarket and browse through frozen microwaveable foods section, you'll find a lot of things that have to be cooked in special packaging. That packaging is designed to absorb microwave radiation and heat up.

In general, anything conductive will absorb microwaves really well. But with sufficient power output, anything will absorb, and anything will get hot. Place an empty glass into the microwave. Let it sit there for a few seconds. You'll notice it is getting warm. You can keep heating objects in microwave until you can no longer contain the heat within. So a microwave is a legitimate way to superheat many things, albeit, rarely the best one.

Edit: And I doubt that a kitchen microwave can be forced to produce such output without burning out, but that's where suspension of disbelief comes in.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Thank you for the correction. I have learned something today.
              And if anyone could modify a microwave to superheat something, it's an ascended Ancient. Presumably it damaged the microwave though and that's why Orlin told Sam she would need a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                and look at the size of that Emerald i am thinking why didn't he made a diamond and Sam would be rich by selling it on Ebay .
                He wasn't trying to make her rich, he was giving her a gift, and the diamond represents her birth month.
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Creating stargates as they appear on the show is impossible, you would not be able to pass through or go anywhere near a wormhole that small, the gravitational forces would rip your body to shreds. However I do remember reading an article where a NASA scientist described how to create a wormhole, only the "stargate" would have a radius of about 1 AU, be made of neutron star dense material, be charged up with astronomical amounts of electrical energy and then spun near the speed of light, so it's safe to say that our civilization can't build a stargate any time soon.

by the way, we can now create chemically perfect diamonds more cheaply than we can mine them, but of course the women of the planet want an engagement ring that was dug out of the dirt of africa by starving slave laborers, not grown in a lab

Comment

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
                    Creating stargates as they appear on the show is impossible, you would not be able to pass through or go anywhere near a wormhole that small, the gravitational forces would rip your body to shreds.
                    That's what happens when you pass through the Stargate wormhole. Your body is disintegrated and sent through the wormhole as a stream of elementary particles (quark-gluon plasma) along with some information, called "signature", on how the matter stream should be reassembled. On the other side, the particles are decelerated and begin condensing back into ordinary matter as they emerge from destination side's event horizon. Stargate interacts with incoming matter to force it to condense into the same configuration as what crossed event horizon at origin gate.

This is skipping a whole lot of details on buffering, signature storage, and reconstruction process.

Looks familiar?

Comment

so this is very complicated no gate in the future
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Not any time soon, but we might get to transport rings, at least experimental ones, within our life time. Short range - no wormhole needed. Fast deconstruction/assembly that is guided by rapid motion of the rings - no buffer needed. All we need to figure out is the actual disintegration with consequent reintegration. Which, granted, people have been struggling with since, well ancient Alchemists to be honest, but it is also why we have some ideas on what might work.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun with "our life time". But way sooner than anything like a gate at any rate.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          That's what happens when you pass through the Stargate wormhole. Your body is disintegrated and sent through the wormhole as a stream of elementary particles (quark-gluon plasma) along with some information, called "signature", on how the matter stream should be reassembled. On the other side, the particles are decelerated and begin condensing back into ordinary matter as they emerge from destination side's event horizon. Stargate interacts with incoming matter to force it to condense into the same configuration as what crossed event horizon at origin gate.

This is skipping a whole lot of details on buffering, signature storage, and reconstruction process.
                          I mean the warping of spacetime to create a wormhole as small as a stargate would tear anything around the gate to shreds too

Comment

I think it is possible to build a star gate. All you have to do is figure out how to generate a wormhole.

I do think that it would take a lot of energy.

Comment

Which tech division? I've got some ideas I'd like to contribute. ?

Comment

i think you could, but you would need alot of people to help you, and its very dangerous prob

1. demons
                                2.reptilians

theres more, you would need protection 1st and the government would find out because of the secret tech they use.

or maybe it just will be private,

it really depends, its really hard to find one tho.

i think it depends on what you inherited and your family.

stargate will most prob be like astral gate way.

or linked, there is also cosmic council n stuff. if you want to know more, qoute me.

Comment

Working...
                                X