Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it's possible to build a Stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
    Dark matter simply shows that we do not understand global structure of the space-time manifold. Not that GR actually fails. The problem could be purely topological, for example. The only problem with GR is that we don't have quantum gravity. As long as we stay away from quantum regime, GR works almost perfectly.
    that's true, but you see what I'm getting at. as long as we don;'t have quantum gravity we can't rule out an inconsistency, and that applies for wormholes as well.
    We do not have ground state solutions for nuclei with more than a few nucleons. Does that mean we have no understanding of heavy nuclei? No. It simply means that we do not have a complete understanding. I never claimed complete understanding of wormholes either. But we do know enough to make many statements on feasibility of wormhole travel.
    the difference is heavy nuclei actually exist, whether wormholes exist is questionable.
    You are making a big mistake comparing FTL transport and FTL propagation. Nothing propagates faster than light. In fact, I'll say more. Everything propagates at the speed of light in the 4-space. That's rather fundamental, and we aren't going to break that one. But that doesn't mean you can't have FTL transport. Tunneling is a mode of FTL transport. Information can be conveyed from point A to point B in time less than required for light to cover same distance.

The important feature of tunneling is that the wave function doesn't simply happen to be on the other side of the barrier. A packet arriving from extended location will be partially transmitted, and the transmitted packet will continue propagating to another extended location. Extended, in this context, meaning that it is far outside of uncertainty of the packet. The time for signal to get from origin to destination, again, far outside of its uncertainty range, can be shorter than time required sans barrier.

I can write out equations clearly demonstrating this, if you really need it.
    you're right that transport isn't exactly the right word, but you see what I mean, the gap is due to the quantum wave nature, not something we can manipulate.

Comment

that's true, but you see what I'm getting at. as long as we don;'t have quantum gravity we can't rule out an inconsistency, and that applies for wormholes as well.
      Sure we can. We know exactly the conditions when the conventional GR breaks down and quantum gravity is required. You've probably heard of Plank Scale. That's basically it.
      the difference is heavy nuclei actually exist, whether wormholes exist is questionable.
      Can't argue with that. And whether or not we'll ever be able to find or manipulate them is an open question. Point is, if a macroscopic wormhole does exist, we can describe it. Because it is just a section of manifold that happens to have peculiar topology. Since no specific topology is assumed in GR, we can say a lot of things about it.

What General Relativity absolutely does not tell us is how to create/destroy a wormhole, because that requires alteration of space-time topology. This I admit, we know absolutely nothing about, and we cannot make any reasonable prediction on that part. So you'll notice that when wormholes transport is being discussed, I never go into how connection may be established. No way to know how and even if it is possible.
      you're right that transport isn't exactly the right word, but you see what I mean, the gap is due to the quantum wave nature, not something we can manipulate.
      Chemistry is due to the quantum wave nature of electrons. Doesn't mean we can't use it.

By the way, a photon packet tunneling across gravitational barrier will not be distorted, and transmission ratio will not depend on packet amplitude. Furthermore, if the barrier height is just right, and gravitational noise is minimal, the transmission coefficient can be rather high for rather large distances. So I'm kind of hoping for quantum black holes as potential means of "sub space" communication.
      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Honestly, I don't know. Anything can be possible if we put our minds to it.

Comment

In the show or for real?
          In the show: mabey. I bet Carter and Mackay could do it.
          In real life: probly not. You would need naqudah, the quantom compnents and in dept knoloage of the gate's systems and structure.

Comment

In the show yes, the plans for the stargate would be in the Atlantis and maybe Destiny's database's and maybe the database of a seeder ship if the SGU crew ever come across one. Plus they have the toaster gate Orlin built that they probably took to area 51 for study, along with the list of parts that he ordered online using Sam's credit card. X'D

As far as us in rl, maybe one day if we ever break our dependency on fossil fuels.

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolfhero View Post
              they have the toaster gate Orlin built that they probably took to area 51 for study, along with the list of parts that he ordered online using Sam's credit card. X'D

As far as us in rl, maybe one day if we ever break our dependency on fossil fuels.
              Orlin also created an emerald out of nowhere, so he could have done some fancy magic with the toaster to make it a gate. Good luck Area 51.

I don't see what the use of fossil fuels has to do with interstellar travel using artificial and easily-creatable wormholes.
              Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

well as fast as our tech grows we will have wormhole in the next 180 years .
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
                  Orlin also created an emerald out of nowhere, so he could have done some fancy magic with the toaster to make it a gate. Good luck Area 51.

I don't see what the use of fossil fuels has to do with interstellar travel using artificial and easily-creatable wormholes.
                  Microwaves come from nowhere?
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Sorry, you're right. Nevertheless, it shows he could do some crazy things we couldn't possibly replicate. Anyone know how to turn a microwave into an Emerald?
                    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Actually emeralds are very easy to make for mere humans - piece of cake for an ancient.

Comment

How does one take a microwave and turn it into an emerald?
                        It's as likely as us building a Stargate with current technology.

Comment

well if you know everything is really easy to make a emerald whit a microwave
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

Comment

Well it's gonna need something to power it up, especially 8th and 9th chevrons. lol

Comment

How does one take a microwave and turn it into an emerald?
                              Emeralds are tricky, but as with most artificial crystals, they are grown at very high temperatures, so a microwave makes sense. Stock material for a Emerald is a bit difficult to come by. You need a superheated solution containing beryllium, aluminum, and silica. A ruby or sapphire would be a lot easier to come up with. So I'm guessing Orlin was showing off.
                              MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

and look at the size of that Emerald i am thinking why didn't he made a diamond and Sam would be rich by selling it on Ebay .
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Mods List

Comment

Working...
                                X