Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Lieutenant

Default Re: Do you think it's possible to build a Stargate?

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    you're saying, destroy your old body and build a new one on location?
    Depends. If only a UC method is available, yes. But this brings up a whole lot of questions on nature of life, etc.

A good way to avoid this is to use Quantum Teleportation. In that case, there is absolutely no discontinuity. Quantum state, which defines who and what you are among other things, is carried from one collection of particles to another. There is no duplication, and more importantly, observer timeline is uninterrupted. So you can conclusively say that this is equivalent to the person being taken from one location and carried to another in every way.

Probie

hey i think i have found something for what you are looking for cause science is looking into it now

http://science.discovery.com/videos/...-universe.html

Captain

there's no point speculating on technology when the science does not exist
    it all depends on FTL being possible and so far it looks like it isn't

my money is on not possible

Quote Originally Posted by scfiguy244 View Post
    hey i think i have found something for what you are looking for cause science is looking into it now

http://science.discovery.com/videos/...-universe.html
    this is hardly scientific, there is no evidence there is such a thing as negative matter, and he is speculating black holes lead to parallel universes.
    it would be much easier just sending a bunch of robots to the nearest blackhole, the only problem is making sure they survive crossing the event horizon.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    there's no point speculating on technology when the science does not exist
    Actually, it does. Technology utilizing that science doesn't. There is a big difference.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by K^2 View Post
    Actually, it does. Technology utilizing that science doesn't. There is a big difference.
    how so?

First Lieutenant

We have an entire field of physics devoted to space-time manifolds, including wormholes and their use for time travel. And then we have quantum physics, that gives us things like teleportation, quantum computing, and even some limited faster-than-light capabilities.

Captain

science employs the scientific method of empirical evidence
    wormholes are theory, they are just geometric solutions that require negative matter which does not exist.
    just like there are nearly infinite solutions to string theory that predict universes which have no bearing on our reality.
    we don't have the science to tell us whether wormholes are real or just vacuum solutions that describe an impossible state of vacuum.
    and quantum physics in no way allows for FTL, it only gives results that appear instantaneous because of the quantum wave nature of matter.

First Lieutenant

First of all, part of scientific method is that once a particular model is sufficiently well tested, its new predictions are accepted as requiring little or no evidence until contradiction is found. General Relativity is one of the best tested theories out there.

Known solutions that allow for traversable wormholes do require "negative" energy densities, or more specifically, energy densities that are lower than vacuum zero point energy. Yes, there is no evidence for that, and models predicting it are somewhat weak. But keep in mind that there is no direct confirmation that negative energy is necessary. We simply don't know a solution where it is not.

Quantum mechanics does allow for faster-than-light directly, and it has nothing to do with EPR or any other nonsense spawning from poor reading of Copenhagen interpretation. Don't worry, I know QM well enough to know the difference.

Tunneling is a well understood phenomenon that does allow signal to cross a barrier in time that is less than that required by light. There is experimental evidence showing that under-barrier signal can reach detector faster than light-delayed signal.

Captain

First of all, part of scientific method is that once a particular model is sufficiently well tested, its new predictions are accepted as requiring little or no evidence until contradiction is found. General Relativity is one of the best tested theories out there.
    the solutions are not in doubt just whether they are actually physical, which general relativity does not cover. in fact we don't have a consistent (not semi-classical) theory that does.
    dark matter is evidence enough GR can't be taken as gospel at all scales
    Known solutions that allow for traversable wormholes do require "negative" energy densities, or more specifically, energy densities that are lower than vacuum zero point energy. Yes, there is no evidence for that, and models predicting it are somewhat weak. But keep in mind that there is no direct confirmation that negative energy is necessary. We simply don't know a solution where it is not.
    in other words, no evidence that it does at all.
    Quantum mechanics does allow for faster-than-light directly, and it has nothing to do with EPR or any other nonsense spawning from poor reading of Copenhagen interpretation. Don't worry, I know QM well enough to know the difference.

Tunneling is a well understood phenomenon that does allow signal to cross a barrier in time that is less than that required by light. There is experimental evidence showing that under-barrier signal can reach detector faster than light-delayed signal.
    except there's no actual travel, the wave function simply extends beyond the barrier. like all quantum phenomena it's due to the quantum nature of matter not actual FTL transport.

First Lieutenant

Dark matter simply shows that we do not understand global structure of the space-time manifold. Not that GR actually fails. The problem could be purely topological, for example. The only problem with GR is that we don't have quantum gravity. As long as we stay away from quantum regime, GR works almost perfectly.

We do not have ground state solutions for nuclei with more than a few nucleons. Does that mean we have no understanding of heavy nuclei? No. It simply means that we do not have a complete understanding. I never claimed complete understanding of wormholes either. But we do know enough to make many statements on feasibility of wormhole travel.

You are making a big mistake comparing FTL transport and FTL propagation. Nothing propagates faster than light. In fact, I'll say more. Everything propagates at the speed of light in the 4-space. That's rather fundamental, and we aren't going to break that one. But that doesn't mean you can't have FTL transport. Tunneling is a mode of FTL transport. Information can be conveyed from point A to point B in time less than required for light to cover same distance.

The important feature of tunneling is that the wave function doesn't simply happen to be on the other side of the barrier. A packet arriving from extended location will be partially transmitted, and the transmitted packet will continue propagating to another extended location. Extended, in this context, meaning that it is far outside of uncertainty of the packet. The time for signal to get from origin to destination, again, far outside of its uncertainty range, can be shorter than time required sans barrier.

I can write out equations clearly demonstrating this, if you really need it.

Captain

Dark matter simply shows that we do not understand global structure of the space-time manifold. Not that GR actually fails. The problem could be purely topological, for example. The only problem with GR is that we don't have quantum gravity. As long as we stay away from quantum regime, GR works almost perfectly.
    that's true, but you see what I'm getting at. as long as we don;'t have quantum gravity we can't rule out an inconsistency, and that applies for wormholes as well.
    We do not have ground state solutions for nuclei with more than a few nucleons. Does that mean we have no understanding of heavy nuclei? No. It simply means that we do not have a complete understanding. I never claimed complete understanding of wormholes either. But we do know enough to make many statements on feasibility of wormhole travel.
    the difference is heavy nuclei actually exist, whether wormholes exist is questionable.
    You are making a big mistake comparing FTL transport and FTL propagation. Nothing propagates faster than light. In fact, I'll say more. Everything propagates at the speed of light in the 4-space. That's rather fundamental, and we aren't going to break that one. But that doesn't mean you can't have FTL transport. Tunneling is a mode of FTL transport. Information can be conveyed from point A to point B in time less than required for light to cover same distance.

The important feature of tunneling is that the wave function doesn't simply happen to be on the other side of the barrier. A packet arriving from extended location will be partially transmitted, and the transmitted packet will continue propagating to another extended location. Extended, in this context, meaning that it is far outside of uncertainty of the packet. The time for signal to get from origin to destination, again, far outside of its uncertainty range, can be shorter than time required sans barrier.

I can write out equations clearly demonstrating this, if you really need it.
    you're right that transport isn't exactly the right word, but you see what I mean, the gap is due to the quantum wave nature, not something we can manipulate.

First Lieutenant

that's true, but you see what I'm getting at. as long as we don;'t have quantum gravity we can't rule out an inconsistency, and that applies for wormholes as well.
    Sure we can. We know exactly the conditions when the conventional GR breaks down and quantum gravity is required. You've probably heard of Plank Scale. That's basically it.
    the difference is heavy nuclei actually exist, whether wormholes exist is questionable.
    Can't argue with that. And whether or not we'll ever be able to find or manipulate them is an open question. Point is, if a macroscopic wormhole does exist, we can describe it. Because it is just a section of manifold that happens to have peculiar topology. Since no specific topology is assumed in GR, we can say a lot of things about it.

What General Relativity absolutely does not tell us is how to create/destroy a wormhole, because that requires alteration of space-time topology. This I admit, we know absolutely nothing about, and we cannot make any reasonable prediction on that part. So you'll notice that when wormholes transport is being discussed, I never go into how connection may be established. No way to know how and even if it is possible.
    you're right that transport isn't exactly the right word, but you see what I mean, the gap is due to the quantum wave nature, not something we can manipulate.
    Chemistry is due to the quantum wave nature of electrons. Doesn't mean we can't use it.

By the way, a photon packet tunneling across gravitational barrier will not be distorted, and transmission ratio will not depend on packet amplitude. Furthermore, if the barrier height is just right, and gravitational noise is minimal, the transmission coefficient can be rather high for rather large distances. So I'm kind of hoping for quantum black holes as potential means of "sub space" communication.

Honestly, I don't know. Anything can be possible if we put our minds to it.

In the show or for real?
    In the show: mabey. I bet Carter and Mackay could do it.
    In real life: probly not. You would need naqudah, the quantom compnents and in dept knoloage of the gate's systems and structure.

In the show yes, the plans for the stargate would be in the Atlantis and maybe Destiny's database's and maybe the database of a seeder ship if the SGU crew ever come across one. Plus they have the toaster gate Orlin built that they probably took to area 51 for study, along with the list of parts that he ordered online using Sam's credit card. X'D

As far as us in rl, maybe one day if we ever break our dependency on fossil fuels.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfhero View Post
    they have the toaster gate Orlin built that they probably took to area 51 for study, along with the list of parts that he ordered online using Sam's credit card. X'D

As far as us in rl, maybe one day if we ever break our dependency on fossil fuels.
    Orlin also created an emerald out of nowhere, so he could have done some fancy magic with the toaster to make it a gate. Good luck Area 51.

I don't see what the use of fossil fuels has to do with interstellar travel using artificial and easily-creatable wormholes.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

well as fast as our tech grows we will have wormhole in the next 180 years .

Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Quote Originally Posted by sunrek View Post
    Orlin also created an emerald out of nowhere, so he could have done some fancy magic with the toaster to make it a gate. Good luck Area 51.

I don't see what the use of fossil fuels has to do with interstellar travel using artificial and easily-creatable wormholes.
    Microwaves come from nowhere?
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Chief Master Sergeant

Sorry, you're right. Nevertheless, it shows he could do some crazy things we couldn't possibly replicate. Anyone know how to turn a microwave into an Emerald?
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by sunrek View Post

Actually emeralds are very easy to make for mere humans - piece of cake for an ancient.