Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
    We don't get previews in the UK

Unless it's a brief clip for an advert, which really isn't anything substantial, and is usually a few episodes behind xD
    That's tough, and you get them 4 days later, which for me would mean avoiding the boards until I saw it. I don't mind minor spoilers, but finding out all the major plot points!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudolph View Post
      I'm wondering about the rumoured mid-season suicide. It could be built up to Spencer turning into Gomer Pyle and blowing his own head off, but then again it could be really subtle and have the crew shocked that one of the quieter redshirts we don't really see hanging themselves.
      Gomer Pyle blew his own head off? I thought his show was a sitcom...

Comment

Maybe it will be both, one week shocking and the next someone quietly hanging themselves. Really drive home the reality of the situation they are in, and how important it would be to keep up your moral.

Comment

Would they use a gun to kill themselves? I mean, I would assume after the incident with the senator they'd take greater precautions keeping weapons out of the hands of non-trained personale who are bound to behave more emotionally, more dangerously with them.

I also feel TJ (and Young) made a grave mistake in handling those interviews in bulks, all by herself seemingly. The way it's edited doesn't give me the clearest indication to how it was scheduled, but it seemed very flawed.
          The types like Greer are so likely to be taciturn and aggravating; the eli's will evade the interview entirely; types like Franklins just argue and vent-- but then with someone like Volker, visibly shaken in some aspect, the system doesn't automatically individuate him from the others, it was up to her to recognize something being wrong with him, and he kinda slipped through because of that. She's hardly qualified and there is just too much going on. It should've been a collaborative project with TJ and Wray.

I think an (unrelated) exchange earlier in the episode described it well:
          TJ: "He says he's fine, but I'm really worried about him"
          Young:"I'm worried about a dozen others"

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
            Would they use a gun to kill themselves? I mean, I would assume after the incident with the senator they'd take greater precautions keeping weapons out of the hands of non-trained personale who are bound to behave more emotionally, more dangerously with them.

I also feel TJ (and Young) made a grave mistake in handling those interviews in bulks, all by herself seemingly. The way it's edited doesn't give me the clearest indication to how it was scheduled, but it seemed very flawed.
            The types like Greer are so likely to be taciturn and aggravating; the eli's will evade the interview entirely; types like Franklins just argue and vent-- but then with someone like Volker, visibly shaken in some aspect, the system doesn't automatically individuate him from the others, it was up to her to recognize something being wrong with him, and he kinda slipped through because of that. She's hardly qualified and there is just too much going on. It should've been a collaborative project with TJ and Wray.

I think an (unrelated) exchange earlier in the episode described it well:
            TJ: "He says he's fine, but I'm really worried about him"
            Young:"I'm worried about a dozen others"
            I agree that having TJ handle the psych profiles all by herself wasn't the best idea. I thought that she should have at least partnered up with Camille to get a second opinion. Camille has probably dealt with more psych-related issues and would be more in line with her HR experience. I don't think that was a good choice by Young but for better or for worse, that's what's been carried out.

People like Greer and Franklin are easier to understand what's happening. Their emotions are closer to the surface and are more likely to voice what's really going inside. Eli others are avoidant and will therefore try to skirt around the psych evaluation altogether.

And then there are types like Volker. Admittedly, this might be premature of me to say but I think he's a ticking time bomb though not in the same manner as Spencer. Spencer, being an extrovert, is going to be incredibly direct with what he wants and feels. He'll take action and it will be obvious what he'll be doing. On the other hand, Volker is not like that at all. He's obviously internalized much of his emotions and put them on hold to carry out various tasks he's been assigned to do. But how long can he do that if he's already at the end of his rope?

Originally posted by ARealArchaeologist View Post
            That Carl Binder quote has me really excited! Wow! We soon won't even know Volker!
            I believe that once Volker's stress tank is full, all it will take is one trigger event--even a small one--and he will snap. If what I have seen in real life is any indication, it will not be pretty. I imagine that Rush or someone else will say something he doesn't like and then he'll erupt in a fury that no one has ever seen before. I can easily picture him getting physically violent with Rush after being insulted. We'll have to wait a few months to see what happens in "Pain."
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post

And then there are types like Volker. Admittedly, this might be premature of me to say but I think he's a ticking time bomb though not in the same manner as Spencer. Spencer, being an extrovert, is going to be incredibly direct with what he wants and feels. He'll take action and it will be obvious what he'll be doing. On the other hand, Volker is not like that at all. He's obviously internalized much of his emotions and put them on hold to carry out various tasks he's been assigned to do. But how long can he do that if he's already at the end of his rope?

I believe that once Volker's stress tank is full, all it will take is one trigger event--even a small one--and he will snap. If what I have seen in real life is any indication, it will not be pretty. I imagine that Rush or someone else will say something he doesn't like and then he'll erupt in a fury that no one has ever seen before. I can easily picture him getting physically violent with Rush after being insulted. We'll have to wait a few months to see what happens in "Pain."

In 'Darkness', I got the impression that Riley told Volker of the physical altercation he had with Rush. When Rush raised his voice, he seemed really threatened and immediately became deferent and if Rush allowed him to stay, would've taken his various insults without a complaint.. also, considering that his arm was healing at the time, he couldn't really defend himself.

Even with his arm healed, If Rush slapped him I could see him not reacting violently. I agree with you in that he really seems like the type to bottle things up, work quietly for a change in circumstance. No complaints. I think he'll blow up really really violently like you said.

We saw Franklin as being surprisingly unintimidated by Spencer. And since Greer has already shot him, I don't think Franklin's bravery/contentiousness was some sorta "you'll get locked up if you hit me" kinda thing. It's just something apart of his personality.
              Of out Brody, Riley, Park and Franklin he seems the most physically and emotionally vulnerable... and with Rush screaming at people; Young debasing others, and Greer prowling about, he's getting a lot of anger to bottle up.

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
                In 'Darkness', I got the impression that Riley told Volker of the physical altercation he had with Rush. When Rush raised his voice, he seemed really threatened and immediately became deferent and if Rush allowed him to stay, would've taken his various insults without a complaint.. also, considering that his arm was healing at the time, he couldn't really defend himself.

Even with his arm healed, If Rush slapped him I could see him not reacting violently. I agree with you in that he really seems like the type to bottle things up, work quietly for a change in circumstance. No complaints. I think he'll blow up really really violently like you said.

We saw Franklin as being surprisingly unintimidated by Spencer. And since Greer has already shot him, I don't think Franklin's bravery/contentiousness was some sorta "you'll get locked up if you hit me" kinda thing. It's just something apart of his personality.
                Of out Brody, Riley, Park and Franklin he seems the most physically and emotionally vulnerable... and with Rush screaming at people; Young debasing others, and Greer prowling about, he's getting a lot of anger to bottle up.
                Franklin is clearly untrusting of the military's way of doing things. If there's some sort of power struggle onboard, Franklin will not be siding with Col. Young, even though Young did help him out in dealing with Spencer in the hallway. You're right in that he'd be the most physically vulnerable at the moment. As such, I think he'd be one of the first to get hurt in case there are altercations between crew members.

Volker's ticking time bomb potential has been caused by not standing up for himself consistently, even with someone like Rush. That kind of anger gets accumulated. Consequently, he'll erupt like volcano if he doesn't handle these conflicts with Rush and others properly. I think he himself is not even aware of this. Whether this caught TJ's psych radar or not, we'll have to see. I'm betting that she didn't see how close to the edge he really is.
                sigpic

Comment

Franklin is clearly untrusting of the military's way of doing things. If there's some sort of power struggle onboard, Franklin will not be siding with Col. Young, even though Young did help him out in dealing with Spencer in the hallway. You're right in that he'd be the most physically vulnerable at the moment. As such, I think he'd be one of the first to get hurt in case there are altercations between crew members.

Volker's ticking time bomb potential has been caused by not standing up for himself consistently, even with someone like Rush. That kind of anger gets accumulated. Consequently, he'll erupt like volcano if he doesn't handle these conflicts with Rush and others properly. I think he himself is not even aware of this. Whether this caught TJ's psych radar or not, we'll have to see. I'm betting that she didn't see how close to the edge he really is.
                  I know she's not a psychologist, but really how could you not. When I heard him say that line about almost losing it, and now with the plan having hope I immediately thought "This is a person to watch closely". I'm still torn if he will errupt violently, or maintain his character, and quietly go off and kill himself. Or maybe both, he could freak out on Rush and then when they put him in solitary confinement, he could kill himself then.
                  I agree with a poster in another thread, there really should be scheduled psych visits on earth with someone. Then you can be more honest, and not have to worry about meeting TJ in the halls, or wondering who has been told on the ship about you and what you said.

Comment

Doesn't anyone think that Young's already losing it?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                      An earlier post mentioned young, and I hadn't really thought of it until then. I do think that he could be a very possible candidate, but I wonder if the will to go home will keep him somewhat sane. I do think he is becoming more emotional and the stress of the crew maybe getting to him, but the need to get home should see him through...unless more problems with TJ arise.

Comment

Originally posted by ARealArchaeologist View Post
                        I know she's not a psychologist, but really how could you not. When I heard him say that line about almost losing it, and now with the plan having hope I immediately thought "This is a person to watch closely". I'm still torn if he will errupt violently, or maintain his character, and quietly go off and kill himself. Or maybe both, he could freak out on Rush and then when they put him in solitary confinement, he could kill himself then.
                        I agree with a poster in another thread, there really should be scheduled psych visits on earth with someone. Then you can be more honest, and not have to worry about meeting TJ in the halls, or wondering who has been told on the ship about you and what you said.
                        I personally think that Volker's on course for a violent confrontation with someone. Right now, he's swallowing whatever abuse he gets from Rush and keeping quiet about the situation on the ship. It's been my experience that in situations like that, the person having the overflowing stress tank is going to explode rather than "implode" (withdraw into themselves and commit suicide). This seems to be a pattern I've seen with other guys though God knows there are always exceptions to the pattern. Given his character, I do believe he would express great remorse if he did snap and hurt someone. I agree that Volker is someone who definitely would benefit from psych visits outside the ship. TJ is empathetic, true, but psychologists are best able to analyze a problem when they're outside the actual situation.

He's barely holding it together if at all. His explosive reaction after being abruptly cut off from the communication stones doesn't bode well as it's affecting his command decisions. And then there was Young punching out Telford. Satisfying to watch for me as Telford was being a manipulative scumbag but still unsettling to watch.
                        sigpic

Comment

I personally think that Volker's on course for a violent confrontation with someone. Right now, he's swallowing whatever abuse he gets from Rush and keeping quiet about the situation on the ship. It's been my experience that in situations like that, the person having the overflowing stress tank is going to explode rather than "implode" (withdraw into themselves and commit suicide). This seems to be a pattern I've seen with other guys though God knows there are always exceptions to the pattern. Given his character, I do believe he would express great remorse if he did snap and hurt someone. I agree that Volker is someone who definitely would benefit from psych visits outside the ship. TJ is empathetic, true, but psychologists are best able to analyze a problem when they're outside the actual situation.
                          While I agree that Rush is a prime candidate for a bashing (poor woobie), I'll point out that we've only seen Rush lose it at Volker once in Darkness. We don't know that Rush has abused him since.

He's barely holding it together if at all. His explosive reaction after being abruptly cut off from the communication stones doesn't bode well as it's affecting his command decisions. And then there was Young punching out Telford. Satisfying to watch for me as Telford was being a manipulative scumbag but still unsettling to watch.
                          The bit in Life where Spencer whacks Franklin fascinated me because Young nearly lost it himself. A good commander, after wailing on his delinquint marine, would have stopped and asked the civvie if he was okay; instead, Young glares, panting, at Frankling and stomps off. The look on his face was as though had Franklin said anything, Young would have smacked Franklin, too.

Comment

It's probably Telford's main plan, make Young lose it, and do everything to hasten that end. Destroy his home life, his sanity, his career, everything.

Comment

I don't think Telford's helping but he didn't make Young nutso in the first place.

Comment

I don't think Telford's helping but he didn't make Young nutso in the first place.
                                I don't know if Young was crazy before his troubles with his wife, and the Destiny. I think that situation, compounded with being trapped with TJ, as well as just being trapped is making him lose it. He's probably torn, damned if he does go back to TJ, since everyone thinks he is, or damned if he doesn't. I think that is why we are seeing the rapid cracks in his demeanor. And if it does go like the rumors are saying with TJ and the actress, then the poor man doesn't have a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X