Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemporary Music in SGU (Spoilers through S1 and 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contemporary Music in SGU (Spoilers through S1 and 2)

Sooner or later people will ask, so I thought we might as well keep a list. I'll maintain a master list here in this post as they come up, but I'll certainly need help identifying things as the show goes on

Promo Spots
    Embassy - Gravity [Original Comic Con trailer]
    Epic Score - I Still Have a Soul [Season 1.5 trailer]
    Director's Cut - Hot & Heavy [Season 2 Comic Con trailer]
    Epic Score - Deadline [Season 2 in-house trailer]

1.03 "Air, Part 3"
    Alexi Murdoch - Breathe [end of episode]

1.07 "Earth"
    Janelle Monae - Many Moons [during concert]
    Janelle Monae - Sincerely Jane [during concert]

1.08 "Time"
    Saul Williams - List of Demands [briefly played by Greer while on the planet]

1.09 "Life"
    Flogging Molly - Worst Day Since Yesterday [intro and outro of episode]
    Deb Talan - Comfort [Camille/Sharon montage]

1.11 "Space"
    Rob Thomas - Now Comes the Night [outro montage]

1.12 "Divided"
    Brand New - You Won't Know [intro Chloe dream sequence]

1.13 "Faith"
    Alexi Murdoch - All My Days [Eli/Camille scene and outro montage]

1.14 "Human"
    The Jam - English Rose [Rush's dream]

1.16 "Sabotage"
    Julian Plenti - Only If You Run [3 weeks later/Brody's still]

1.17 "Pain"
    The Heavy - What You Want Me To Do [intro]
    Eels - Agony [outro]

2.01 "Intervention"
    Mumford & Sons - After the Storm [outro]

2.03 "Awakening"
    Fink - Sort of Revolution [outro]

2.04 "Pathogen"
    Ludovico Einaudi - Ascolta [outro]

2.14 "Hope"
    Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra [2001 Theme]
    O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei [Brody's iPod] (aka the Numa Numa song)
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 28 March 2011, 09:47 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Sooner or later people will ask, so I thought we might as well keep a list. I'll maintain a master list here in this post as they come up, but I'll certainly need help identifying things as the show goes on

1.03 "Air, Part 3"
    Alexi Murdoch - Breathe

1.07 "Earth"
    Janelle Monae - Many Moons
    Janelle Monae - Sincerely Jane

1.08 "Time"
    Saul Williams - List of Demands

1.09 "Life"
    Flogging Molly - Worst Day Since Yesterday
    This is a very cool idea. Will be nice to have it all consolidated in one place.
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Nice thread idea. I'm liking the music so far, so that's a plus, I guess.
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I really liked this last song, every time I heard it I wanted to sarcastically chuckle.

Comment

Nice list. Ugh... I really hated those Janelle Monáe songs. My favorite (though not played on the show) was "Gravity" by Embassy from the SGU comic-con trailer. Although that "Breathe" song wasn't too bad either... although I hated it the first time I watched Air Part 3... probably just because it was one of the first times in Stargate history that a song like that completely rose to the foreground... being unexpected and different and all...

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis10545 View Post
            Nice list. Ugh... I really hated those Janelle Monáe songs. My favorite (though not played on the show) was "Gravity" by Embassy from the SGU comic-con trailer. Although that "Breath" song wasn't too bad either... although I hated it the first time I watched Air Part 3... probably just because it was one of the first times in Stargate history that a song like that completely rose to the foreground... being unexpected and different and all...
            Actually good thinking, I'll throw that in too
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This is actually one of the little annoying things about the show I would change. The show in general is growing on me but this "soft rock montage" nonsense seems to be appearing so often in every other show this season that I'd rather not see it here as well.

Seriously, just watch any new network show this season and wait for it. There's about a 75% chance that at some point the "soft rock montage" will make an appearance in any given episode. The danger zones of particular note are the beginning and the end of episodes. This latest SGU had it in both...

Comment

There was also that song that played over the Wray/Sharon scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  There was also that song that played over the Wray/Sharon scenes.
                  Which I'll edit in as soon as someone tells me what it was

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    The danger zones of particular note are the beginning and the end of episodes. This latest SGU had it in both...
                    But the whole point was to bookend the episode and bring everything full circle with the unifying theme. That theme being that life aboard the Destiny, though it may have its moments, kind of sucks. It emphasizes the "slice of life" feel of the story.

If there's a thematic reason as to why the song is there, I don't really have an issue with it.

Comment

I actually thought that the music worked well in "Life" as it really tied the episode together (although it did seem kind or... forced? maybe?). Besides that, the episode was a freakin' chair fest between Wray's ugly red chair and the Ancient chair on Destiny.

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

This is actually one of the little annoying things about the show I would change. The show in general is growing on me but this "soft rock montage" nonsense seems to be appearing so often in every other show this season that I'd rather not see it here as well.

Seriously, just watch any new network show this season and wait for it. There's about a 75% chance that at some point the "soft rock montage" will make an appearance in any given episode. The danger zones of particular note are the beginning and the end of episodes. This latest SGU had it in both...
                        They're doing it to be hip and trendy and coincide with what the networks are doing, except once the 'soft rock montage' trend simmers down within a few years, it will be added to the list of things that are considered 'signs SGU has become dated' when we look back at the reruns.

I hope that's what happens, anyway. I dislike this trend. While some of the music in SGU has worked for me so far, DigiFluid brought up a good point in another thread about how forced it seems. Plus, the Janelle Monae thing in particular... really rubbed me the wrong way. As soon as I heard she'd be in the episode during old, old spoilers I imagined the worst possible ways to do it; well, this was one of them. Thankfully, it wasn't the worst. Allow me to give a brief example of what that would have been:

ELI: So we should start getting to know as many people as we can, you know, get to know everyone on the ship and all.

SCOTT: Yeah, that's a good idea, go make friends, Eli. There's one for you now.

ELI: Whoa! That's Janelle Monae! Too-freaking-cool! What's she doing here, anyway?

YOUNG: These are the wrong people, in the wrong place. But at least we brought entertainment.

...thankfully that didn't happen...
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I just hope they don't get carried away with it
                          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

I agree. I just don't think that most of the songs chosen fit the style of Stargate. One of the few sci-fi shows ever that I've liked with contemporary music is Firefly, and still it's original music written for the show. I hope to see less of this as SGU progress, but my hopes are low.
                            I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

Here's a Youtube playlist of all of these songs. As you update your list, I'll update mine.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...60F77FE0996445

Comment

Working...
                              X