Best Defence is a good offence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luckylad View Post
    Ok i agree with the line, but when you know the size of your enemies force and their capabilities. But he decides to blow up one of their homes for no real gain apart from to piss them off.

i find that very reckless Is greer a little trigger happy? is that whats got him into trouble?
    he;'s right it is the best way to win
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
      On the line itself, I thought it was hilarious. It was good to see Greer even considering that option and it was the best one really. To bad there were so many of those things. It would have been handy if a biologist was with them, someone who could help them determine why those creatures were attacking. It obviously wasn't for food, since they would simply bite/burrow into people and move on leaving the entire body. Figuring the creatures out in some limited time may have improved their odds.
      Maybe they prefer decomposed flesh or are highly terratorial. Something which the team couldn't really use to fix their situation.

I don't really think they'd be anything a biologist would be able to figure out that would be helpful to their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
        I don't really think they'd be anything a biologist would be able to figure out that would be helpful to their situation.
        Exactly. It was pretty much kill or be killed.

Do I want to know why they happen to be nocturnal or why they're so territorial? No. I'm more interested in either setting up a defensible position or getting the gate to work. Either of which is more valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Jeez FOB were talking about a line in a tv show where characters are hunting scary alien predators, its not a military history lesson! On the other hand we could debate this, it be fun to turn a discussion of one line in the show so highbrow.
          yeah.....

But you know.... when I get bored I just find an excuse to discuss strategic theory, it's a terrible habit.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            yeah.....

But you know.... when I get bored I just find an excuse to discuss strategic theory, it's a terrible habit.
            I dunno there could be worse habits

Comment

Exactly. It was pretty much kill or be killed.

Do I want to know why they happen to be nocturnal or why they're so territorial? No. I'm more interested in either setting up a defensible position or getting the gate to work. Either of which is more valuable.
              Well, I did say it may increase their odds. For instance, if the creatures' aggression was related to the human's proximity to their nests, their mission could be placed in a lot less jeopardy by simply setting up camp at night further away. To realize or theorize this, a scientist with some experience of insight into animal/insect behaviour may have been useful. Just a theory.

Comment

Well, I did say it may increase their odds. For instance, if the creatures' aggression was related to the human's proximity to their nests, their mission could be placed in a lot less jeopardy by simply setting up camp at night further away. To realize or theorize this, a scientist with some experience of insight into animal/insect behaviour may have been useful. Just a theory.
                Well, they only had 36hrs before the Destiny jumped away, less seeing as they spent the day collecting food and such. How far would be far enough? It really wouldn't take a biologist to come to the conclusion "not being near the nests is a good idea".

I'm a little surprised that they didn't actually camp further away, but perhaps the nests were scattered throughout the jungle, and they wanted to be near the Gate incase they were able to dial back at some point.

Comment

36 hours before the Destiny leaves, as The Prophet said...how far away do you really want to be? Furthermore--while Rush admits to having several theories--they don't know exactly why the gate isn't working. How far away do you really want to be if it suddenly started to work again?

In addition, the cave Greer found presents an excellent defensible position. Is that something you really want to pass up on in favor of open terrain? This based on a biologist's hunch (and not knowing where the creature's territory ends because you don't know where all the nests are).

A biologist may have some small insight--and their information sounds good in theory--but it doesn't necessarily increase the odds of survival. I'd sooner take another soldier than have another civilian that isn't capable of defending himself or herself.

Comment

I still love the line... always produces a smile in our household.

Comment

great line, and in this case, he was right. if that was the only hive, they wouldn't have died that night

Comment

Working...
                      X