Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Lieutenant

Default Re: Best Defence is a good offence line

Exactly. It was pretty much kill or be killed.

Do I want to know why they happen to be nocturnal or why they're so territorial? No. I'm more interested in either setting up a defensible position or getting the gate to work. Either of which is more valuable.
    Well, I did say it may increase their odds. For instance, if the creatures' aggression was related to the human's proximity to their nests, their mission could be placed in a lot less jeopardy by simply setting up camp at night further away. To realize or theorize this, a scientist with some experience of insight into animal/insect behaviour may have been useful. Just a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by blackluster View Post
    Well, I did say it may increase their odds. For instance, if the creatures' aggression was related to the human's proximity to their nests, their mission could be placed in a lot less jeopardy by simply setting up camp at night further away. To realize or theorize this, a scientist with some experience of insight into animal/insect behaviour may have been useful. Just a theory.
    Well, they only had 36hrs before the Destiny jumped away, less seeing as they spent the day collecting food and such. How far would be far enough? It really wouldn't take a biologist to come to the conclusion "not being near the nests is a good idea".

I'm a little surprised that they didn't actually camp further away, but perhaps the nests were scattered throughout the jungle, and they wanted to be near the Gate incase they were able to dial back at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by blackluster View Post
    36 hours before the Destiny leaves, as The Prophet said...how far away do you really want to be? Furthermore--while Rush admits to having several theories--they don't know exactly why the gate isn't working. How far away do you really want to be if it suddenly started to work again?

In addition, the cave Greer found presents an excellent defensible position. Is that something you really want to pass up on in favor of open terrain? This based on a biologist's hunch (and not knowing where the creature's territory ends because you don't know where all the nests are).

A biologist may have some small insight--and their information sounds good in theory--but it doesn't necessarily increase the odds of survival. I'd sooner take another soldier than have another civilian that isn't capable of defending himself or herself.

I still love the line... always produces a smile in our household.

great line, and in this case, he was right. if that was the only hive, they wouldn't have died that night