Best Defence is a good offence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Defence is a good offence line

Ok i agree with the line, but when you know the size of your enemies force and their capabilities. But he decides to blow up one of their homes for no real gain apart from to piss them off.

i find that very reckless Is greer a little trigger happy? is that whats got him into trouble?

Originally posted by luckylad View Post
    But he decides to blow up one of their homes for no real gain apart from to piss them off.
    And to kill a whole bunch of them while they had the chance since they would be an immediate threat once night fell.
    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
    Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

They were going to attack them anyway once night fell, might as well lower the opposing numbers.

Comment

His plan made perfect sense. HE was reasonably certain that they wouldn't come out during daytime, even having just been attacked, and so he could go around at his leisure killing them.

Comment

Ok i agree with the line, but when you know the size of your enemies force and their capabilities. But he decides to blow up one of their homes for no real gain apart from to piss them off.

i find that very reckless Is greer a little trigger happy? is that whats got him into trouble?
          They were in it at the time. I'd say reducing their number before they attack is pretty helpful.

Comment

If it had pissed them off, they would have attacked in the middle of the day. They didn't. With the gift of hindsight, we know it didn't matter in the end, but there was no way to know that at the time. He saw an opportunity to reduce the numbers of the things that were attacking them.

And Greer was on trouble for punching Telford.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

If only he had a Nuke.....

Comment

Piss them off?? They were quite simple creatures who lived on very simple needs. Sleep during the day. Eat and kill at night. They didn't eat and kill any more just because they were a little bit upset.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  If only he had a Nuke.....
                  ????
                  Attached Files
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Despite the fact that he was right in this circumstance and any argument against his actions is frankly silly, I thought I might wade in and comment about the actual principle.

In general strategic terms it is actually not true that the best defence is a good offence. The 'cult of the offensive' dominated strategic thought pre 1914 and that is what lead to the stagnant nature of World War One. The defensive is the stronger of the two elements and in Clausewitzian theory it takes a force three times the size of the defending force for an offence to be succesful. The defence is made so much stronger by familiar terrain, no requirement to advance, and logistical simplicity. Which was very much demonstrated when the previously succesful blitzkrieg was used against Russia in World War 2, and failed collossaly.

Just wanted to weigh in with that.
                    Last edited by Flyboy; 20 November 2009, 11:38 PM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Despite the fact that he was right in this circumstance and any argument against his actions is frankly silly, I thought I might wade in and comment about the actual principle.

In general strategic terms it is actually not true that the best defence is a good offence. The 'cult of the offensive' dominated strategic thought pre 1914 and that is what lead to the stagnant nature of World War One. The defensive is the stronger of the two elements and in Clausewitzian theory it takes a force three times the size of the defending force for an offence to be succesful. The defence is made so much strong by familiar terrain, no requirement to advance, and logistical simplicity. Which was very much demonstrated when the previously succesful blitzkrieg was used against Russia in World War 2, and failed collossaly.

Just wanted to weigh in with that.
                      Jeez FOB were talking about a line in a tv show where characters are hunting scary alien predators, its not a military history lesson! On the other hand we could debate this, it be fun to turn a discussion of one line in the show so highbrow.

Comment

RAF Vs British Army, round one

p.s. I reckon Mr Bennett has added to the debate btw.
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

"Only a fool fights a battle he knows he cannot win"

I don't think attacking them was the best course of action.

Comment

Originally posted by tNsRAoL View Post
                            "Only a fool fights a battle he knows he cannot win"
                            "Anything put in quotes gains added gravitas"

Originally posted by tNsRAoL View Post
                            I don't think attacking them was the best course of action.
                            A pre-emptive strike, certain to be highly successful, against an enemy that will definitely attack you, is a bad idea? Explain please!
                            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

On the line itself, I thought it was hilarious. It was good to see Greer even considering that option and it was the best one really. To bad there were so many of those things. It would have been handy if a biologist was with them, someone who could help them determine why those creatures were attacking. It obviously wasn't for food, since they would simply bite/burrow into people and move on leaving the entire body. Figuring the creatures out in some limited time may have improved their odds.

Comment

Working...
                              X