Rush wanted the reboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rush wanted the reboot?

During the podcast, Gateworld brought an interesting point up that I thought about and dismissed, which is why did Rush mention 4 ppl died, when he clearly didn't do that during Water? What if he knew, or suspected, how Scout would react, and was hoping he would do another "reboot" but with more information so they can be saved?

What do u guys think?

I don't think the comparison is valid.

In "Water", he was keeping Young and Scott focused on their task while on the ship TJ was dealing with a different problem. In "Time" the deaths were directly related to why Young, Scott, and Greer were on the planet. It was a kind of, "hurry the f up, guys."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think it is pretty obvious that Rush is both a master manipulator and has a knack for self-interest. So the idea of him dangling death and danger in front of Scott, an affable and noble if a little gullible, soldier in order to prompt a specific result is not far fetched.

Also, when Eli interjected to tell Young more of the truth during "Water" Rush was preturbed. This time he was almost insistent that the details be broadcast.

However, as Chloe and the other deaths were not essential personnel Rush had little self-interest in doing so. It all goes back to his insistence on considering the greater good: I do think Rush wants the right thing to happen for as many people as possible - he just wants to make certain they happen for him first.

In that way I absolutely think Rush was very deliberate in saying what he said and when he said it. In fact, I think that about EVERYTHING that he says or does - even the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid quote had a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallowed are the... View Post
        I do think Rush wants the right thing to happen for as many people as possible - he just wants to make certain they happen for him first.
        It's not a bad philosophy; make sure you, and as many other people as possible are taken care of. The question is; in a Rush or A.N.Other situation, with both being of equal "worth", but Rush gets to decide... what would he do?

What would YOU do?

As I get older, I'm getting tougher. Ultimately, it's all very noble sacrificing yourself for somebody else, but you'd be dead.
        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

i think it was double victory. rush told them that to hurry up. but also, knowing that the solar flare was due and well, all going offworld knew what would happen in a set amount of time. it was their backup, and i believe rush more or less meant, "forget the creatures and send a message back in time"

especially seeing as catching these creatures at night (when they're active and hunting) is suicide in itself.

Comment

If he wanted Scott to do a reboot, he would've just told him to do a reboot. I mean, there was no reason for him to dance around it. In fact, that should've been their Plan B to begin with: If all else fails, send another KINO to the past.

Why would Rush be afraid of directly asking for a reboot? Or want to manipulate Scott into doing one? If Rush is so self-centered, he'd want Scott to return with the antidote no matter what. Because even with the reboot, that Rush died when that Scott failed to return with the antidote (presumably), thus dooming everyone on that!Destiny to disease-induced death.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
              During the podcast, Gateworld brought an interesting point up that I thought about and dismissed, which is why did Rush mention 4 ppl died, when he clearly didn't do that during Water? What if he knew, or suspected, how Scout would react, and was hoping he would do another "reboot" but with more information so they can be saved?

What do u guys think?

No, in "Water", Young and Scott had a task and the bugs on board were only indirectly related and would've been a distraction (or worse, Young may have abandoned the search for water for the immediate threat of the bugs)

In "Time", the deaths of the Lt.James, Chloe, etc... were directly related to the task at hand. It was important for Young to know the timing of the situation was very critical to keep any more from dying. I thought it was touching of Rush that he paused before mentioning Chloe...and he used her nickname. Rush understood the impact of what he had to say and seemed to be trying to be a bit sensitive about it.

I don't really see Rush as being any more manipulative than anyone else. As Eli said "everybody is lying".
              If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
              Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

TJ lied to Young in Water too... I agree that it was just an update on what was, in essence, their ("they" being the team on the planet) current situation and the need to get a wriggle on.
                sigpic

Comment

I see what some people are saying, and it makes sense. :-) But who knows!

Comment

I really doubt Rush would sacrifice himself even for an alternate version of himself. Rush does what's best for Rush.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Been said already but yes, in Water telling Young would have slowed him down and might even have convinced him to come back, whereas if anything in Time telling him about the deaths would make them complete their mission even faster.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                        I really doubt Rush would sacrifice himself even for an alternate version of himself. Rush does what's best for Rush.
                        Rubbish. Rush does what's best for the ship.

Where on earth in anything that he says or does do people get that he's self-centred and selfish? There is nothing to support that.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                          Rubbish. Rush does what's best for the ship.

Where on earth in anything that he says or does do people get that he's self-centred and selfish? There is nothing to support that.
                          I think what happened was that in the pre-airing publicity material, Rush' bio implies he's got a secret, selfish agenda, and therefore insist that everything he does is for his own benefit.

Everything he has done so far seems to have worked out, and also it's hard to fault any of his decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                            I think what happened was that in the pre-airing publicity material, Rush' bio implies he's got a secret, selfish agenda, and therefore insist that everything he does is for his own benefit.

Everything he has done so far seems to have worked out, and also it's hard to fault any of his decisions.
                            No, his bio says he has his own motivations. There's nothing in there to say that it's a secret, selfish agenda and that everything's for his own benefit. Indeed, his actions suggest the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                              No, his bio says he has his own motivations. There's nothing in there to say that it's a secret, selfish agenda and that everything's for his own benefit. Indeed, his actions suggest the opposite.
                              See? Even I, cynical opposer of some of the more idioitic notions around here, have sucumbed to the notion.

It's odd/depressing/worrying that folk have obviously decided the "own motivations" line means everything he does is to the detriment of the rest of the "crew".

Comment

Working...
                              X