Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First Lieutenant

Default Re: The Death of Every Stargate Character

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Not bothered in the slightest. I don't let the death of fictional characters bother me.
    Obviously anyone who is bothered in a serious way about a fictional characters death is being stupid, I mean bother you in respect to the series. In my opinion episodes like these shows a certain amount of disrespect of the characters, TPTB only use these episodes to do things they can't usually do and how frequent they are in Stargate is getting a bit alarming. If past experience is anything to go by, this won't be the last time we see people die in SGU only to be alive by the end of the episode.
    Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

I think its more of a shock tactic of sorts used by the writers, to make us think for the short time of the ep that one of the main characters has kicked the bucket. Then at some stage later they come back. At the moment, with things like IMDB and the like, we all pretty much know how many episodes the characters appear in, so we know that they will come back to life in some way.

I don't see how it could be disrespectful though, its just a twist in the storytelling that can be fun if it isn't over used.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I think its more of a shock tactic of sorts used by the writers, to make us think for the short time of the ep that one of the main characters has kicked the bucket. Then at some stage later they come back. At the moment, with things like IMDB and the like, we all pretty much know how many episodes the characters appear in, so we know that they will come back to life in some way.

I don't see how it could be disrespectful though, its just a twist in the storytelling that can be fun if it isn't over used.
    Disrespectful could be the wrong word, but it just seems that in science fiction a life is worth a lot less than any other genre. I still don't like how in Atlantis Carson was brought back as a clone and there was no explanation to how he had all the memories of Carson. There are other examples throughout science fiction of lifes not being worth as much too, such as Harry Kim in Voyager.

people mostly die in alternate timelines, because that timeline goes wrong and is the reason it's being changed anyway.

I only had the opportunity to watch "time" after I watched "life", and for once, I have to say I (finallly!!!) truly loved the episode. I liked the way the story arch develloped, I thought it had the right balance between character interaction and action scenes, and the fact the
    Spoiler:
    the bug bite conveniently acted as cure for a bacteria from another distant planet didn't bother me as much. They need a little lucky break, don't they?
    The shaky camera worked fine this time. This episode really kept me at the edge of my seat. If the story isn't completely original, it was told in a interesting way. It had some problem solving, self sacrifice and maybe it was the most sci-fi eppie ( ?) so far.

In a more nasty tone
    Spoiler:
    the Chloe haters had the satisfaction to watch her die twice.
    But I am not one of those.

9/10
    http://i.imgur.com/EKpylFR.jpg
    Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
    Aristides de Sousa Mendes

First Lieutenant

The shaky camera worked fine this time. This episode really kept me at the edge of my seat. If the story isn't completely original, it was told in a interesting way. It had some problem solving, self sacrifice and maybe it was the most sci-fi eppie ( ?) so far.
    'Time' was a really good episode, I think everyone can agree on that. I thought how the kino was used as a camera at the start, it felt like a lot more real than when they use regular cameras in the rest of SGU.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    My main problem is that TPTB use time travel as an excuse to kill characters for affect only for them to be alive again by the time that the episode is over.
    But isn't that a trope of Scifi? To use time-travel for shock value? I guess I watch SciFi shows because of these methods...

Quote Originally Posted by JadedWraith View Post
    In a more nasty tone
    Spoiler:
    the Chloe haters had the satisfaction to watch her die twice.
    But I am not one of those.
    Spoiler:
    But then we have to live through the disappointment that she'd be saved

'Time' was a really good episode, I think everyone can agree on that. I thought how the kino was used as a camera at the start, it felt like a lot more real than when they use regular cameras in the rest of SGU.
    I really liked that too, plus it gave the feeling that something was off, something's different. It hinted to the audience that what your seeing isn't happening as you watch it, at least that's how I felt.

Lieutenant Colonel AtlantisRules!!!'s Avatar

Is anyone else bothered that every character in Stargate has died? SG-1 have died twice in 'Moebius' and Continuum, the Atlantis Expedition were all killed in 'Before I sleep' and now the Destiny crew have all perished twice as well. I can't be the only person that doesn't like this, none of the characters in Stargate are the original characters from the first time we saw them.
    Actually, I like it

And Cam hasn't died yet.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
    Actually, I like it

And Cam hasn't died yet.
    Mitchell died sometime on Earth in the past, he would have too old at the time he went back to the 1920's to live up until the present.

I don't think a single major character hasn't died in some altered timeline. Jonas would have been killed in 'Prophecy' if the Jaffa ambush had made it through the stargate, Landry died in different time circumstances to the rest of the characters but we still saw him die.

Staff Sergeant

No one ever dies in science fiction.

There are a number of ways to resurrect a character once you've killed him off.
    (a) Alternate timeline, as with Kawalsky and Janet Fraiser
    (b) Cloning, as with Carson Beckett
    (c) It turns out the character is a robotic duplicate (Teal'c in 'Tin Man')

There is also the "reanimation" of Spock; and the Harry Kim who died in "Deadlock" was a duplicate created by the spatial anomaly (or the one who survived was... we aren't ever really sure which set of duplicates was "our" crew).

I admit that when I saw the creatures killing everyone off, my first thought was "Oh, it's OK... this will turn out not to be real". Somebody will eventually "make it didn't happen", as Larry Niven would say. But then the "real" crew was killed as well, which added an extra twist to it.

The thing is, even though I know the entire cast is not really going to be killed off in the eighth episode of the show, I still love the dramatic effect, and I love to have my mind boggled by the temporal plot twists!!

ArcheoNerd

Also you can take Time as:
    First Time team goes to the planet.
    They get killed.
    Scott sends a Kino back in time.
    Second Time team goes to the planet.
    They find Scott's Kino and decide to search it.
    They discover the meaning of the illness.
    Scott, Young, Spencer and Greer go to the planet in night to get a bug.
    They get killed.
    Scott sends a Kino back in time.
    Our team goes to the planet.
    They find 2 Kinos and search them through.
    Scott, Young, Spencer and Greer go to the planet in day to get a bug.
    They succeed.