Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you say stargate universe is sci-fi.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you say stargate universe is sci-fi.

Do you think it is, yes ocassionally, their is somthing sci-fi, but some times I feel like I'm watching somthing else, on the Earth parts, what are your opinions.
    Last edited by ukray; 24 November 2009, 06:01 AM.

Yes, it's science fiction. That it takes place on a giant space ship billions of light years from Earth makes it science fiction.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I think the Earth parts are arguable some of the most 'scifi' parts on the show, I mean they're inhabiting someone's body on the other side of the universe using aliens technology for crying out loud! For all the drama, it's still pretty much all linked to the situation they find themselves in due to scifi elements, or directly through the technology itself. For me, it's more of a true scifi than SG-1 or Atlantis ever were.

Comment

yes
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Of course it is. They're people in the know about the super secret STARGATE program, refugees from an Earth base on another world, gone to a millions of years old alien space ship. When they get the chance to be on Earth, it's occupying someone else's body via an alien communication device that lets them communicate in real-time across billions of light years.

How much more science fiction can you get?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yep. It's sci-fi alright....
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

it involves things we think impossible - its fiction
              it invoilves scientific things - its science

thus, science fiction

Comment

Um space
                aliens
                advanced technology.

How could it not be science fiction?
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ukray View Post
                  Do you think it is, yes ocassionally, their is somthing sci-fi, but some times I feel like I'm watching somthing else, on the Earth parts, what are your opinions.
                  The people that are complaining the show is not scifi are looking for "Bubblegum Scifi", neat little plots that resolve themselves every week, cute little pratfalls, one standard " Big bad meanie" to fight all the time. Nothing realistic or dark. Lots of cute quirky technobabble and the day always gets saved with 3 seconds on the clock.

Comment

at heart SGU is not SciFi (in the classic definition of SciFi) I think it's 80% soap opera, and 20% SciFi.

Although many have compared it to BSG, I watched BSG, and I'm sorry but SGU is no where as good as BSG.
                    General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

And what is this "classic definition" of Sci-fi?

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
                        at heart SGU is not SciFi (in the classic definition of SciFi) I think it's 80% soap opera, and 20% SciFi.
                        How so?
                        science fiction
                        Function: noun
                        Date: 1851
                        : fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component
                        http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ence-fictional
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

at heart SGU is not SciFi (in the classic definition of SciFi)
                          Which is what...?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                            The people that are complaining the show is not scifi are looking for "Bubblegum Scifi", neat little plots that resolve themselves every week, cute little pratfalls, one standard " Big bad meanie" to fight all the time. Nothing realistic or dark. Lots of cute quirky technobabble and the day always gets saved with 3 seconds on the clock.
                            Well obviously there were a lot of fans who liked the above described type of SciFi.

15 YEARS worth of fans

We can't all have been wrong, not for that long.
                            General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Well obviously there were a lot of fans who liked the above described type of SciFi.

15 YEARS worth of fans

We can't all have been wrong, not for that long.
                              Wrong about what?

Comment

Working...
                              X