Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe that Roland Emmerich gave us Stargate and 2012 !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe that Roland Emmerich gave us Stargate and 2012 !

I was shocked to discover that Roland Emmerich was behind Stargate as well as 2012. I didn't click until I saw a tidbit on imdb.com. Quite frankly at several points in 2012, I was LMAO at just how ridiculous and over the top some of the scenes were. Given how far his come (or fallen) from the original Stargate movie, I'm wondering if he hasn't been abducted by aliens.
    The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

He also did Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 BC, and Godzilla. I am afraid what he would do with another Stargate.

Comment

Honestly....go rewatch Stargate, it's not exactly a great movie either. Roland Emmerich isn't exactly known for Schindler's List

1992 -- Universal Soldier (directed)
      1994 -- Stargate (wrote, directed)
      1996 -- Independence Day (wrote, produced, directed)
      1998 -- Godzilla (wrote, produced, directed)
      2000 -- The Patriot (produced, directed)
      2002 -- Eight Legged Freaks (produced)
      2004 -- The Day After Tomorrow (wrote, produced, directed)
      2008 -- 10,000 BC (wrote, produced, directed)
      2009 -- 2012 (wrote, produced, directed)
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can always tell when a film is done by Roland......it just has a certain incredulous yet over the top epic feel to it.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Honestly....go rewatch Stargate, it's not exactly a great movie either. Roland Emmerich isn't exactly known for Schindler's List

Good God. Brad Wright is a genius compared to Roland.....

Comment

Stargate was his best IMO. The next project of his is Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I'm really afraid that he will totally butcher this great trilogy...
            sigpic
            My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

2012 was just waayyyy too over the top. Honestly, three different sequences where a plane just *barely* gets off the ground despite horrific events unfolding all around the plane. I'd expect something like that from a teenager on a sugar high.

Comment

You do not go to see a Roland film, for the acting, for cinematic tips for unique camera angels an to see top of the line cinematography , an you certainly do not go to see it for the story,. You go to see them to see the special effects an how he going to destroy the world yet again, an yet make it bigger an better spectacle that the last time he did it.

Anyone going for any other reason will be disappointed. That go for any of his films.

Only film which did not go with the special effects angel was the Patriot, an frankly I cannot remember what that film was about. An eight legged freaks which went for the horror angle an did a pretty good job at it.

Personally Stargate, Independent Day an the Day after tomorrow are his best work.
                Last edited by knowles2; 15 November 2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  You do not go to see a Roland film, for the acting, for cinematic tips for unique camera angels an to see top of the line cinematography , an you certainly do not go to see it for the story,. You go to see them to see the special effects an how he going to destroy the world yet again, an yet make it bigger an better spectacle that the last time he did it.

Anyone going for any other reason will be disappointed. That go for any of his films.

Only film which did not go with the special effects angel was the Patriot, an frankly I cannot remember what that film was about. An eight legged freaks which went for the horror angle an did a pretty good job at it.

Personally Stargate, Independent Day an the Day after tomorrow are his best work.
                  Day After Tommorrow was bearable, and actually a nice disaster movie, but 2012 was more of a comedy than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                    Stargate was his best IMO. The next project of his is Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I'm really afraid that he will totally butcher this great trilogy...
                    Oh man, that's an unpleasant thought

Only film which did not go with the special effects angel was the Patriot, an frankly I cannot remember what that film was about.
                    Mel Gibson won the American War for Independence by himself, and all Englishmen are Nazis.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I would have to totally agree with that. Of course, I did think The Patriot was a pretty good film.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Well, as much as you hate him... you have to thank the guy for making stargate.

Where would your live be today if he hadn't have made that movie, thus no show being formed.

I know I would be in curled up position crying in the connor of my room

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post

Where would your live be today if he hadn't have made that movie, thus no show being formed.

Your life must be pretty empty
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Your life must be pretty empty
                            Yes, thanks for reminding me..

Goes off to watch a stargate episode and cry

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post

I wouldn't be wasting time on here and might actually be getting some things done. I just feel that he has a way of going over board. I remember seeing 'The Patriot' and having numerous issues with it, which I can't recall any at the moment. I think he needs to actually get a film degree and frequently chant the mantra 'less is more'.

Comment

Working...
                              X