Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The cure, the luckiest coincidence? or proof that Destiny is a smart ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cure, the luckiest coincidence? or proof that Destiny is a smart ship?

What a coincidence that they picked up the disease from the ice planet, and the cure is on the next planet they check... do you think the destiny is a lot more than just a space vessel?

Yes, it's obviously a giant can of spam.
    [edit]No it's just a space ship with a lot of clever routines programmed into the autopilot.
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
      [edit]No it's just a space ship with a lot of clever routines programmed into the autopilot.
      Either that or it has some creepy AI.

Hello Rush... What are doing Rush... Don't touch that Rush...

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
        Not just that. Just look at the clever way the ship place itself, with the sun and a solar flare right in the middle between it and the planet. So the wormhole would need to pass right through to reach the Destiny. Instead of positioning itself just above the planet.

It did it on purpose knowing full well the flying goauld are ferocious and the Destiny intruders would need many tries before finishing them up and getting their cure. Destiny is the greatest piece of AI ever!!!
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

So, did the creatures' venom work as an antibiotic or just like a cure out of nowhere? Isn't is possible that the venom got altered after they... uhm... ate Rush's infected body?

Man, that sounds disturbing.
          sigpic

Comment

The luckiest coincidence ever must be when Jack's doing a crossword and the clue is "label" and "sphere" and by a coincidence, the solution are a planet with a ZPM to power the Ancient weapon platform in Antarctica.

Comment

First things first; loving SGU oh SO much and this has been my favorite episode so far. Loved it.

It has just occurred to me after re-watching the episode that these flying goa'uld thingies were in a completely different universe and the chances of them having the cure to the disease are unimaginably small.

With that said I cannot help but wonder if the time travelling Rush introduced the bacterium which the creatures caught when munching on Rush. Perhaps then over many years they evolved and developed the cure as a matter of survival. Perhaps they also have a "cure" of sorts for the many other things that may have been in Rush's body? Who knows!

But my question is... now that the time line has been altered by Scott... and Rush did not travel through the gate... Will the venom still hold the cure?

Discuss!
              Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to have to say no.

Here's why: Scott in timeline 1 is cured of the disease after being bitten, and that is the same timeline that has Rush jump into the gate and arrive in the past, creating the second timeline. The Kino follows him, and that Kino is recovered by the 2nd timeline's team. The cure was already there in the first timeline, so the Shriekers eating Rush probably altered nothing.

As for your last point, the third timeline has both Rush and the two Kinos (One each from timeline 1 and 2), and the Shriekers could cure anyway... So... nothing's different on that front.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

But if his theory were true, there could also be a third alternate timeline in which Scott died since Rush didn't go back to introduce the bacteria. Personally, that's my opinion since, like it's been said, the odds of them having the cure are small if it's simply antibodies or such. The venom may have the tendency to kill all microbes though as some sort of preservation of their prey so they will not decay as fast should they not eat them immediately.

Comment

No mate, it's coincidence. Humans have been using venom for thousands of years to treat ailments. True, a lot of the uses were folkloric, but now we understand it better.
                    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Bee sting venom is a good treatment for arthritis. It helped my late father to the point that he no longer tested positive for rhematoid arthritis. I really doubt that anytime in the past bees ate humans or even mamals.

Killing microbes is just a general property that some venoms have.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jamesgilfoyle View Post
                        First things first; loving SGU oh SO much and this has been my favorite episode so far. Loved it.

It has just occurred to me after re-watching the episode that these flying goa'uld thingies were in a completely different universe and the chances of them having the cure to the disease are unimaginably small.

With that said I cannot help but wonder if the time travelling Rush introduced the bacterium which the creatures caught when munching on Rush. Perhaps then over many years they evolved and developed the cure as a matter of survival. Perhaps they also have a "cure" of sorts for the many other things that may have been in Rush's body? Who knows!

But my question is... now that the time line has been altered by Scott... and Rush did not travel through the gate... Will the venom still hold the cure?

Discuss!
                        No they weren't, they were from the same timeline whichever time-travel theory you use, whether it's a linear one with time being 're-written' or an AU one where the new timelines are branching off from the original, the creatures would have existed in both exactly how they did in the first instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                          So, did the creatures' venom work as an antibiotic or just like a cure out of nowhere? Isn't is possible that the venom got altered after they... uhm... ate Rush's infected body?

Man, that sounds disturbing.
                          The Destiny flew into the range of that planet on purpose - of the thousands of targets it could have reached in the time between the episodes, it picked the one were an antidote to the crew's problem could be found.

So I think the venom always worked - likely because it had a fitting poisonous make-up that killed off the microbes without causing too much harm to a human being. Same principle as antibiotics.

This is actually quite reasonable, since humans are completely alien to these predators, orginiating from a galaxy billions of lightyears away. Their venom is evolutionary specialized to be effective against their usual prey and may be ineffective against a human being, which has an entirely different physiology. The microbes on the other hand may even share a common ancestry with that biome.

Comment

I like the attention to detail. We always knew hat the writers did well with continuity, but they really not skimming over the details. Most impressive.

Comment

The creatures were using venom (although you have to wonder why, since they mauled their victims to death anyway).

Venom is toxic. You don't need a custom-made poison to know that it probably will succeed in killing living cells. That's why it is toxic in the first place.

All the criteria you need for picking the antibiotic of your choice is making sure that it is strong enough to kill off diseases without being strong enough to also permamently harm the human body.

Comment

Working...
                              X