Abandon All Hope (510)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abandon All Hope (510)

SAM AND DEAN FACE OFF AGAINST LUCIFER — Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Castiel (Misha Collins) track down the Colt and head off to find Lucifer (guest star Mark Pelligreno) to send him back to Hell. It's a hunters' reunion when the crew joins forces with Bobby (Jim Beaver), Ellen (guest star Samantha Ferris) and Jo (guest star Alona Tal) for what could be their last night on Earth.

Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Ben Edlund (#510).

POST VIEWING DISCUSSION ONLY

What? No comments on the ep yet? Still waiting for it to become available for DL. Why is it that those eps you wait the most for always get put up late? Or - OMG - did something go wrong and it didn't air? *panics* Or was GW down all night (European time)? It was when I first logged in this morning. Or the evil cliffie gave everyone who watched a heart attack...

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Arrrrrrrrgh, I've seen the ep!!

OMG, what can I say?? Such and exciting and emotional episode!! And what a way to leave us hanging all those weeks with no new ep!!

I'm not sure what he protocol is about spoilers - this is a discussion for people who've seen the ep I assume, but I'll put under spoilers my initial comments.

Spoiler:
      I'd been told that someone was going to die, and all I could think was 'please don't let it be Bobby or Ellen'!!! So of course, I was relieved when is was clear that Jo wasn't going to make it! Jo never made much of an impression on me tbh, but it really upset me to see Ellen & Dean so upset... and then Ellen goes and sacrifices herself!! I'll admit, I haven't been so upset over an ep since Heaven & Hell - Dean crying gets me every time, but Ellen... such a loss. I'm gutted, as I thought she could really help in the fight, and now the boys have lost what was almost a surrogate Mum!! *sobs*

As for the rest of the ep...
      • I thought Crowley was great!
      • I was a little shocked when Dean actually shot Lucifer (but knew it was too early in the season to be over lol)
      • I thought Cas was brilliant, and the way he just stepped over Meg was soooo funny - yeah, I know I have a sick sense of humour!!
      • Mark is doing a fantastic job of playing Lucifer - he gets the balance between creepy and funny just right IMO

I'm staying out of the spoiler threads, but I do need to ask this... does anyone know who's playing Death?

sigpic

Comment

I thought this was an awesome episode. I'm sad that Jo and Ellen didn't make it but it was a hell of a way to go out. I'm glad though that the colt was taken out of the picture so early and they won't spend the rest of the rest of the season looking for it.

When the demons started dying I thought it was Dean or Sam trying to disrupt the ritual. It will make an interesting twist if the Demons turn on Lucifer. Having Death running about is going to be sweet too.

I hate to say it but I do hope this is the last season because I don't really see where the boys go from here.

Comment

Oh man.......we have to wait until January 21 for more SPN? GUH.......

Castiel doing those shots.......ROFL. And when he was on the phone with Dean and said it was...."going.........down"......Misha has great timing!

But the rest of the show......Jeez! I also thought that when Dean shot Lucifer it was a bit too soon. For a moment I thought he'd take over Sam as his vessel right then and there in the cemetery. Or is Lucifer waiting for Sam to WANT to be taken over? Cos that ain't gonna happen (or is it?) mwahahaha

*grumble mumble* January 21! Yikes!

IHS
          sigpic

Comment

Not sure what to say. After all the hype, I found this episode to be kind of 'eh'......KIDDING!!!! Holy CRAP! Sorry, I don't have access to a thesaurus right now, so I am going to run out of superlatives quickly. Be prepared for a lot of, "I liked that..." "I love how..." "Great..." and "Fantastic"s.

Let me get the one negative out of the way. I thought the end was too abrupt. Just kind of cut off. Ok, on to the AWESOME:

-How Cas 'followed' Crowley. Cool.

-Re-using the Enochian (sp? anyone) wards from Death takes a Holiday

-Working together with Jo and Cas right away, and then with Ellen and Bobby as well. We haven't really seen them use a big team effort like that before and it highlighted each hunter's strengths.

-At Crowley's, when Sam used the knife. Why do I always forget they still have the knife? I constantly lose track of that thing. We never saw Sam give it to Dean in Good God, Ya'll, and as far as I recall we didn't see Dean use it in the next two, so I did a double-take when Dean handed it to him in The End. It makes sense that Dean would have it to hunt, but in my mind the knife is more Sam's weapon and the Colt is Dean's. I know, Sam has fired it, too, but the dramatic kills with the Colt have been Dean's.

-Crowley. Wonderful. What a great demon addition. I have seen that actor in a few shows and always like him. Here he was perfectly cast. I liked Crowley because he had that sense of power, but was still nice and flip. He and Dean had one of the few funny exchanges in this ep (which was good, you don't want too much funny in an ep like this): "I forgot. You two at best are functional morons." And Dean's reaction? "You're the functioning...morons....moron..." To which Crowley gives a "case in point" look and Dean just drops it.

-I also thought Crowley's reasoning behind helping them was sound. Very believable and bore fruit later, of course, when we see that he is right about Lucifer's feelings towards demons.

-And three more funnies from him: 1)Thursday...birdies tell me he has an appt. in Carthage, MO." Oooook, thanks for sharing? 2) How he doesn't even BLINK when Sam tries to shoot him, but instead, "Oh yeah, right. You'll probably need some more ammunition. 3) When Dean says 'what if we fail' I like Crowley's point number 3, "HOW ABOUT YOU DON'T MISS, OK? MORONS!"

-Cas and Ellen in a drinking competetion. Hee hee.

-Dean, "Sam Winchester having trust issues with a demon. Well, better late then never." Um? Ouch?! Although I thought Sam's "And thank you for your continued support" was great. He didn't get all huffy, but still pointed out what Dean was doing. And Dean let it drop, too. I like this relationship they have at the moment.

-Saying that Sam shouldn't come with them to Carthage. That makes total sense. But so does Sam's remark that they've learned their lesson about splitting up. No good option, but I like that the stupidity of bringing the vessel that close to Lucifer was brought up! And it's more evidence of a good power balance between the brothers.

-When I saw Dean kissing Jo in the trailer, I was worried. As I said before, I never hated Jo like some people, but I DIDN'T think she was a good fit for Dean. So I loved how she rebuffed his advances. It elevated my opinion of her, especially when she made the line about self-respect because when the writers had her pining after Dean, it weakened her. Plus Dean got to say, "If you're into that kind of thing."

-The picture seemed awkward to me. Bobby isn't really a sentimental kind of guy and the mood seemed 'off'. at least until Castiel made his remark about it being their last night on earth, THEN we had the slap of reality we are used to in Supernatural! But I get that they did it for the payoff of the final shot of the episode.

-"Ever heard of a door handle?" "Of course I have." Love ya, Cas.

-The sight of all those Reapers. That was creepy!

-Lucifer comparing Castiel to himself. Sam's like Lucifer, Cas is like Lucifer, Lucifer understands everyone, doesn't he?

-Meg. I know a lot of people weren't happy with the cast change for Meg, but I LOVE Rachel Miner's version of Meg. Absolutely love it. For one thing (and I am going to be absolutely vilified for this), I was never as impressed with Nikki Aycox as everyone else in Supernatural fandom was *ducks all thrown objects*. I thought she was annoying in Scarecrow, overacted a lot in Shadow, was good in Devil's Trap, and got better in AYTGIMDW. I love the character of Meg, though, and I thought Rachel had some fantastic line delivery (and her stance in the street was just the right amount of arrogance. 1) "There you are." 2)"Yeah, Dean. Your FAVOURITE!."

-Hellhounds. Wow. What a great thing to add in to the mix! Haven't seen them in a while. I love that you can (understandably) see a special kind of fear in Dean's eyes. Nice that Dean looks to Ellen before he acts (so not making decisions FOR everyone). The cool (and true!) comeback of his, "When have you known us to ever make anything easy?". Scary when the hellhound takes Dean down. Nice how Jo is so fast to save him. Cool effect, shooting the hellhounds. Jo. Ow. Ellen's cry to her and Dean's hero rescue carrying her. What an incredible scene!

-Dean, Dean, Dean. His best part is on the CB with Bobby. Moments earlier, he is all cool and decisive with Sam, but the second he gets ahold of Bobby, he is the topic of that panel discussion in last week's episode; a scared little boy. I have always adored this mix that Jensen pulls off so smoothly. When he is in charge, in the thick of things, he is tough as nails. But put him with Bobby, Ellen, John, or Mary (Djinn's version) and he comes off as so lost and over his head. His voice breaking, his white knuckles on the CB, his posture, everything just radiates 'little boy'. This scene reminds me a lot of his scene in Home when he calls John.

-And Bobby. Bobby is such a great 'dad' to these boys! "It's ok, boy. That's why I'm here." and "I said, 'What do we do next, Dean?'" A firm but loving voice pulling him back to the present.

-Now for the first time, I really LIKE Jo. Not just her sacrifice (you expect hunters to do so), but her standing up to Ellen, "Mom, this might literally be your last chance to treat me like an adult. You might want to take it." And also for two other reasons: 1) I knew now she couldn't possibly become a love interest for Dean and 2) Because out of everyone in their little hunting group, I would miss Jo the least. So I was glad they were killing her off and thought, "Thank GOODNESS they aren't killing Ellen!"....

-You can imagine the "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" that came out of me when I realised Ellen was going down, too. Samantha Ferris. OMG, was I crying so hard with her!! IEven jumping all over different parts of the episode this morning (to take notes) I STILL started crying! Especially heartbreaking? "You got me, Jo." "I said 'go'. And Dean? Kick it in the ass. Don't miss." "Jo? It's ok. It's ok. That's my good girl." *sob* I am not going to get over this loss any time soon.

-In the trailer, they cut it so that when Sam asks Dean for last words, he responds, "Here goes nothing." I'm glad that wasn't really what he said because I thought that was a little too cliche. I liked his, "I think I'm good." better.

-Lucifer tells Sam he wouldn't hurt him. And AWESOME...we see just the tip of the Colt come into frame pointed right at his head. Bang!

-Let's pause to discuss Mark Pelligrino. What a gem! Other times we've seen Lucifer (and also when he plays Jacob in Lost), he has just played a quiet, reasonable, sensitive soul. Here he fully displays his penchant for comedic timing. "Owwww." and then "Where did you get that?" are two good ones, along with his "But if you give me a minute. I'm almost done." and the "What?" when the demons are killed.

-5 things in creation the Colt can't kill. THAT ought to set the board alight with speculation! While I do like that the answer wasn't as simple as using the Colt, it still was sad for me to see it powerless for a change. It's kind of like watching the Impala lose in a drag race (or against a demon-driven semi!). By all rights, you KNOW she would probably lose because she is one massive car and not at all aerodynamic, but on the other hand, you start to think of her as invincible. Same with the Colt. She was weakened and for the first time (ok, 2nd if you count Sam trying to kill YED in Salvation), she failed the boys.

-While I don't like to see Dean taken out of the picture, I thought it was well done here because up to now (being that Dean was more attached to Jo's storyline and is more the action guy), the episode was a little emotionally one-sided in Dean's favour. I think the writers were right here to now give Sam HIS big scenes by himself. Balanced out the episode to make it about both of them. Plus, we got to see Sam show actually brotherly affection for Dean by checking on him, not once, but twice. Small moment, but we haven't had any of those this season!

-Ok, everyone's plans for the vessels. I find it interesting the way the boys are being approached. Everyone is trying to reason with Sam, like Ruby did with him last year to get what she wanted. They seem to think that will be an effective way to convince him, and knowing Sam, they could be right. But I don't get what the angels are trying to do with Dean. They all keep trying to bully HIM into agreeing to Michael. Have they MET Dean?! Talk about the perfect way to drive him away! Which leads me to an interesting thought: EVERYONE is so sure/worried about Sam giving in. Lucifer, Dean, the future storyline. No one seems to be as worried about Dean. Wouldn't that be a neat twist if after everyone trying so hard to keep Sam from saying 'yes' it was DEAN that gave in at the end? Although, in my (again, admittedly unimaginative) mind, I don't see how to do the story without BOTH boys either giving in or not giving in.

-Castiel. FINALLY! Seems like he is always getting grabbed, beaten, etc. He is an angel! He shouldn't be so helpless. I LOVED his idea of walking right over Meg's burning meat to escape the fire!! And that he was brought back into the story just in time to save our boys.

-Ending. Sad.

Next episode:
            Spoiler:
            As I said on Twitter, are you eff-ing KIDDING me?!! I thought it was coming back two weeks earlier than the 21st!!! And what an AWESOME looking episode! I swore not to spoiler myself anymore, but this is going to be HARD!!!

Oh, and also, speaking of Twitter. It wasn't helping last night that when I would go to Twitter during commercials, Jim Beaver was totally teasing all the viewers with fake spoilers and saying things like, "It's been a fun 4 1/2 years. Thanks guys." and "Oh wait, I forgot to set my clock back, the episode isn't over yet?"
            Last edited by Crichiel; 23 November 2009, 11:10 AM. Reason: Multitude of typos were driving me NUTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
              I hate to say it but I do hope this is the last season because I don't really see where the boys go from here.
              It's sure going to be interesting, put it that way!

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
              Castiel doing those shots.......ROFL. And when he was on the phone with Dean and said it was...."going.........down"......Misha has great timing!
              Oh gawd, I'd forgotten about that... brilliant!!

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
              Or is Lucifer waiting for Sam to WANT to be taken over?
              Sam HAS to say yes, no angel can just take over the vessel without permission... same as Jimmy/Cas and Dean/Michael!

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post

<snipped for sheer length!!>

Oh, and also, speaking of Twitter. It wasn't helping last night that when I would go to Twitter during commercials, Jim Beaver was totally teasing all the viewers with fake spoilers and saying things like, "It's been a fun 4 1/2 years. Thanks guys." and "Oh wait, I forgot to set my clock back, the episode isn't over yet?"
              Blimey, how long did it take you to write all that? Edit: just saw your edit.. you're dedicated, I'll give you that!!

I need to re-watch the ep over the weekend (can't face it tonight, I was totally drained ) and then I'll reply to what I can!

As for the Twitter thing... what a b*stard!! Good job we love him, eh?

sigpic

Comment

Still reeling from watching Abandon All Hope. Even though I had expected the two casualties to be Ellen and Jo, I bawled my eyes out at the scene. Being a mother to a daughter myself (who incidentally is petite, cute and has long blond hair...) I really felt Ellen's pain, and I was not surprised she decided to stay behind. At least it was a great send-off they got, taking a bunch of hell pooches with them, and they went out together with a major bang.

And the way Dean's voice broke when he told Bobby about Jo... *sniffles*

So Lucifer is immune to the Colt. That puts a major crinkle in the boys' plans. But it would have been too easy.

I'm taking the new twist that the demons don't want Lucifer to win with a pinch of salt. It may just have been a trick by Crowley to bring Sam to Lucifer, knowing that the gun wouldn't work. Thank God Cas was there again to yank the boys out of harm's way. Although I didn't like that evil little smirk Lucifer gave when he saw them gone. It's pretty unsettling to think he knows what's gonna happen and that nobody can change it.

The scene in the beginning when Dean and Sam were talking over that table full of books - to me it felt as if they have found some common ground again. The fact that they can banter about their differences, that Dean does research and agrees to Sam's suggestion about coming along even though he thinks it's wrong - that is exactly what Sam was asking for in Fallen Idols. They really seem to be on the way to mending their relationship.

And a final aside piece of trivia: So on top of everything Bobby has a photo lab in his house as well. Otherwise he couldn't have gotten the 'last night on earth' print that quickly, and not with that old-fashioned look.

sigpic

Comment

Spoilers are included, so if you don't want to see them, don't read my post. You've been warned.

Loved the episode, just loved it. I did notice though, that there weren't any female Reapers. I'd have thought it nice to see that female one that Dean has had dealing with show up for some reason or other.

Five Things that the Colt can't kill. Pretty obvious that: The four Archangels, and God. We do know though, that whilst this colt can't stop Lucifer, it can put him down for a few seconds. Not much else seems to be able to do that.

Also, I'm intrigued by the Sam / Lucifer thing that is going on. Surely, if Lucifer 'knows' that sam will say yes in six months, why does he ask if he'll say yes there and then? If this entire thing is destiny, then everything will happen as it is suppose to, and not a moment before.

I also thought that Reapers (and Death itself) were somewhat on the fence between the whole Heaven and Hell thing. If Death is released, and Humanity wiped out, wouldn't Reapers be out of a job?

Was great to see the crew come together too, though was very sad to see Ellen and Jo both die. Talking of death, is it me, or is Castiel becoming more and more... Human? Using cell phones, not being able to kill a Demon... He can teleport (if thats what he does) and see things that your average person can't, buy beyond that, he doesn't seem to be doing much of anything else.

...I'm still shocked that he is the only angel who is helping the boys too.
                  sigpic
                  It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Interesting. Hopping onto other threads quickly, I noticed that everyone is saying, "Poor Ellen!!!" "They killed Ellen!" Not many people saying anything about Jo! I think I undertand the sentiment, though. The two people (aside from Sam and Dean), I myself didn't want to see killed were Bobby or Ellen.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
                      Five Things that the Colt can't kill. Pretty obvious that: The four Archangels, and God. We do know though, that whilst this colt can't stop Lucifer, it can put him down for a few seconds. Not much else seems to be able to do that.
                      You're sure of that? I'd go for Lucifer and the four riders of the Apocalypse.
                      The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                        Interesting. Hopping onto other threads quickly, I noticed that everyone is saying, "Poor Ellen!!!" "They killed Ellen!" Not many people saying anything about Jo! I think I undertand the sentiment, though. The two people (aside from Sam and Dean), I myself didn't want to see killed were Bobby or Ellen.
                        I think Jo has a small (but loyal) fan-base from what I can tell on other sites, and I totally agree about Bobby or Ellen. I'm not sure how I'd feel about carrying on watching without Bobby in some ways!

sigpic

Comment

Amazing analysis again, Crichiel! Always look forward to these.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet, I think - the cliffie. It was so funny, I was watching the ep with the kids, and there was a fadeout on Sam's face and we all screamed 'noooooo', that would have been a really evil cliffie. As it is, I can live with it. We know who the Devil is raising, we know the boys got away from Lucifer... that's civil enough for me to survive the next *gulp* 9 weeks.

Just found another version with better sound quality - didn't realize that Dean called Cas 'Huggy Bear' when they spoke on the phone. *ROFLMAO*

sigpic

Comment

Guess I'll be popping in and out here as I re-watch and notice more things.

- Crowley watching Hitler footage on TV

- And he smirked when the screen went blank. Seems he knew the boys were coming - which re-enforces my belief that he sent them to Lucifer for other reasons than that he thinks he'll turn against the demons.

- I was expecting the Devil's Trap to be just a diversion. Usually the boys are not so sloppy that they leave wrinkles in the carpet to give their game away.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                              You're sure of that? I'd go for Lucifer and the four riders of the Apocalypse.
                              Can't be certain, so I'd have to say no, I'm not sure.

Although, would it not seem odd of Lucifer is the only Archangel that was 'immune' to the colt? If this was the case, he could essentially kill all other Archangels with it. To be honest, the horsemen didn't even cross my mind.

One thing that baffles me though, the horsemen were created by God, no? If they were, then why are they choosing a side, if they were not, then... well, you see where we'd go then.

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                              We know who the Devil is raising, we know the boys got away from Lucifer... that's civil enough for me to survive the next *gulp* 9 weeks.
                              9 Weeks? I thought it was 8. You've just made my wait longer.
                              sigpic
                              It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Working...
                              X