Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow1 Destiny as a Character

It was a lot more subtle in this episode than in previous ones, but the idea that the ship itself is a character and is attempting to help the crew to survive was reinforced in this episode. Every other time Destiny has stopped it had a practical reason. Could it be that the ship knew about the disease and took them to a planet that contained the cure? Of course, they have to do most of the legwork but at least the ship it pushing them in the right direction. It's much too soon in the series to know if that pattern will continue but it's an interesting point. Is Destiny self-aware in any sense? Is it trying to keep the crew alive?

Airman

Default Re: Destiny as a Character

Most definitely.

I'm one to believe that Destiny and the other ships are Self-Aware. The Ancients crossed galaxies, they built the Stargates, and created the Replicators... the last one being definite proof of their ability to create AI...

Destiny definitely seems to be seem possessive of a consciousness, it has always done everything to help the people onboard, its always had a reason to stop, and it locked out potentially dangerous addresses so the teams could go to the one that would save them.

I've got the sneaking suspicion Rush knows something about this...

Chief Master Sergeant WindowsME's Avatar

An inanimate object such a metallic core of a ship being considered a character is a bit far-fetched. In response to your idea though, I feel the ship as you stated and displayed throughout the various episodes offers its support. From what I've seen the ship is beginning to in a way make tasks more difficult, perhaps assisting them in a place those on the ship are distanced from, but are becoming accustomed to over time. I feel this eventually will lead to those on the ship further exploring planets, similar to the previous Stargates and eventually regain parts or a majority of the 80+ % of the ship they have no control over.

Lieutenant Colonel

i dont think the ship is thinking to any dregree, more of a system which puts things together to determine where to stop. such as rush starts searchign for things to do with the air supply and the ship systems arent functioning properly so it puts the two together and finds a planet with lime

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

If she's a character, she's more of a ***** than any of the others.

Seriously, she leads them to the Desert Planet and doesn't alert them to the Dust Devil drinking the water after they head off. She doesn't wait for the shuttle in Light. She leads them to Hoth for water, and the water turns out bad. She leads them to the Jungle Planet... while a solar flare was just hours away. Instead of locking out the address and not risking the humans getting caught in the flare, she shrugs and lets them do their thing.

Yeah, I think Destiny is a character as is, but I hope we don't have her speak through the others or have an avatar later on.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

First Lieutenant Captain Obvious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mylestaylor View Post
    It was a lot more subtle in this episode than in previous ones, but the idea that the ship itself is a character and is attempting to help the crew to survive was reinforced in this episode. Every other time Destiny has stopped it had a practical reason. Could it be that the ship knew about the disease and took them to a planet that contained the cure? Of course, they have to do most of the legwork but at least the ship it pushing them in the right direction. It's much too soon in the series to know if that pattern will continue but it's an interesting point. Is Destiny self-aware in any sense? Is it trying to keep the crew alive?
    possible spoiler?

Spoiler:
    Maybe it is not destiny guiding the crew, but Rush's (possibly Ascended) wife.

Official Female Villain Advocate. I love those bad girls...
    If you don't like SGU, Don't watch it. If you watch SGU just to find reasons to complain, read this-http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...id-from-water/
    Quote Originally Posted by SBN View Post
    Yet here you are still whining about it (SGU)? Even my cat moves on to new things when a toy does not entertain her. Congrats, you have now just been notched a ring below my cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    Parents, have you ever just tried turning the TV off, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

Certainly not a bad POV, tho perhaps as the main systems come online we'll be able to answer that with a bit more certainty!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
    : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

It would be fun if Eli connected to the main computer with an earth PC and found he could converse with the central AI but only in very basic alien terms via a simple text interface.

Like in the crappy movie Sphere when the scientists believe they are talking to an alien intelligence. The answers he gets are very basic and strange and take a bit of guesswork as the though processes behind them are so different. Eli could call it Joshua after Wargames and someone else could mention Hal.

I think it's just a really advanced computer, very weak AI if anything. It can take input from its surroundings and manual interface (Rush) and perform the appropriate responce based on them.

We've not actually seen it adapt nor learn from anything so far. It seems simpler than it knows what to do to gain Water/Air/Medicine, rather than adapt to it.

No. Destiny had no idea that the nasty beasties held the cure to the humans' malaise, I'm not in any way convinced that Destiny knew the creatures existed. Hell, I doubt Destiny even knew the humans were sick. It's called "coincidence". The writers may retcon it in tho But no, Destiny is entirely single-minded unless told otherwise.
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

hopefully it won't turn out as ascended ancient intervention for a change, although considering their importance in the stargate universe ancients are bound to be introduced into the series at some point

Sure the ship analyzed the water, determined its toxicity to the aliens intruders on board (human) and divided a solution against human physiology by analyzing the flying goauld venom on a planet many light years away. Way to go Destiny!!!

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Zelix View Post
    Sure the ship analyzed the water, determined its toxicity to the aliens intruders on board (human) and divided a solution against human physiology by analyzing the flying goauld venom on a planet many light years away. Way to go Destiny!!!
    I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible, this is a sci-fi show not a reality tv show

Quote Originally Posted by mylestaylor View Post

Afterall.. the ship apparently led the crew to a cure for their sickness..hm...

Staff Sergeant TheChronoTrigger's Avatar

If the ship does have an advanced AI, why hasn't it contacted the crew? I like the idea that the ship is self-aware, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Unless there's a reason it's not interacting.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible, this is a sci-fi show not a reality tv show
    It would mean that the ship would
    A) Have to posses the capacity to analyse the water and find out that there is a harmful bacteria in there that cannot be filtered out from the ship's system
    B) know it is harmful to the humans on board
    C) know that the planet the are going to has creatures
    D) know their venom is a cure
    E) know that the humans will find that out and
    F) know they won't die off getting the cure.

Being the seeder ships don't analyze the planets they seed gates on, THAT is the destinies purpose, how would it have had advanced knowledge of what was on that planet?
    WAY too much for it to have done this on purpose.

General

The Destiny has already shown to have advance knowledge of planets; otherwise, it wouldn't lock any of them out.

Chief Master Sergeant Cecil Brax's Avatar

Well,

We know for a fact that the Ancients are capable of creating AI as they did with the Replicators. Now we know that's the "Last" instance of them creating AI, but certainly not the first. So little about the Replicators backstory is know or the exact timeline of how it works. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Replicator thread so I'll move on.

If they had the ability to make that advanced of an AI, they certainly had some practice before hand. So its entirely possible the ship is actually one big AI. As for why it hasn't revealed that its an AI, maybe its programmed not to? I mean, if I had created an AI on a massive ship or city to run the whole thing, I wouldn't want everyone to know that it was there. I actually wrote something like that into one of my stories.

If they know the AI is there, that's just an invitation for trouble as people could try and manipulate it, change it, reprogram it, fall in love with it .... (glares at Eli .. hehe) etc etc. I hope they never really answer the question, cause I like the speculation of IF its an AI more then I would like an answer.

- CB
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
    Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Probie

I full agree with the Destiny being a character in of itself. Good post.

I think the Destiny ship (the AI / Character) realised that the Ancient’s descendants were drinking water that was poisoned from the ice planet. The ship therefore used its database to find a planet with a creature they scanned to have the venomous, but healing property that can kill the micro-organism everyone drank (LT Tamara Johnson calls it this in the episode 'Time'). It was not a coincidence. The ship chose the planet. The ship puts them where the people need to go but doesnt relay instructions, which can have deadly consequences like in this episode.

The reason I said Ancients above is that I believe someone on the ship must have the ancient gene. From the first two Stargate shows at least one major character has ATA gene. And before someone says anything I realize in the fourth episode Rush said the ship was pre-dates the Lantean technology.

Universe has been great so far. I watch too much Stargate lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZER017 View Post
    I think the Destiny ship (the AI / Character) realised that the Ancient’s descendants were drinking water that was poisoned from the ice planet. The ship therefore used its database to find a planet with a creature they scanned to have the venomous, but healing property that can kill the micro-organism everyone drank (LT Tamara Johnson calls it this in the episode 'Time'). It was not a coincidence. The ship chose the planet. The ship puts them where the people need to go but doesnt relay instructions, which can have deadly consequences like in this episode.
    I repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoletsi View Post
    No. Destiny had no idea that the nasty beasties held the cure to the humans' malaise, I'm not in any way convinced that Destiny knew the creatures existed. Hell, I doubt Destiny even knew the humans were sick. It's called "coincidence". The writers may retcon it in tho But no, Destiny is entirely single-minded unless told otherwise.
    The reason I said Ancients above is that I believe someone on the ship must have the ancient gene. From the first two Stargate shows at least one major character has ATA gene. And before someone says anything I realize in the fourth episode Rush said the ship was pre-dates the Lantean technology.
    Indeed. But I doubt that (at any point in S1) the Ancient gene will come in to play. Otherwise SGU would need to explain a big chunk of the backstory of SG-1/SGA.
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...