Destiny as a Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meryl View Post
    I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible, this is a sci-fi show not a reality tv show
    It would mean that the ship would
    A) Have to posses the capacity to analyse the water and find out that there is a harmful bacteria in there that cannot be filtered out from the ship's system
    B) know it is harmful to the humans on board
    C) know that the planet the are going to has creatures
    D) know their venom is a cure
    E) know that the humans will find that out and
    F) know they won't die off getting the cure.

Being the seeder ships don't analyze the planets they seed gates on, THAT is the destinies purpose, how would it have had advanced knowledge of what was on that planet?
    WAY too much for it to have done this on purpose.

Comment

The Destiny has already shown to have advance knowledge of planets; otherwise, it wouldn't lock any of them out.

Comment

Well,

We know for a fact that the Ancients are capable of creating AI as they did with the Replicators. Now we know that's the "Last" instance of them creating AI, but certainly not the first. So little about the Replicators backstory is know or the exact timeline of how it works. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Replicator thread so I'll move on.

If they had the ability to make that advanced of an AI, they certainly had some practice before hand. So its entirely possible the ship is actually one big AI. As for why it hasn't revealed that its an AI, maybe its programmed not to? I mean, if I had created an AI on a massive ship or city to run the whole thing, I wouldn't want everyone to know that it was there. I actually wrote something like that into one of my stories.

If they know the AI is there, that's just an invitation for trouble as people could try and manipulate it, change it, reprogram it, fall in love with it .... (glares at Eli .. hehe) etc etc. I hope they never really answer the question, cause I like the speculation of IF its an AI more then I would like an answer.

- CB
        Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
        Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

I full agree with the Destiny being a character in of itself. Good post.

I think the Destiny ship (the AI / Character) realised that the Ancient’s descendants were drinking water that was poisoned from the ice planet. The ship therefore used its database to find a planet with a creature they scanned to have the venomous, but healing property that can kill the micro-organism everyone drank (LT Tamara Johnson calls it this in the episode 'Time'). It was not a coincidence. The ship chose the planet. The ship puts them where the people need to go but doesnt relay instructions, which can have deadly consequences like in this episode.

The reason I said Ancients above is that I believe someone on the ship must have the ancient gene. From the first two Stargate shows at least one major character has ATA gene. And before someone says anything I realize in the fourth episode Rush said the ship was pre-dates the Lantean technology.

Universe has been great so far. I watch too much Stargate lol

Comment

Originally posted by ZER017 View Post
            I think the Destiny ship (the AI / Character) realised that the Ancient’s descendants were drinking water that was poisoned from the ice planet. The ship therefore used its database to find a planet with a creature they scanned to have the venomous, but healing property that can kill the micro-organism everyone drank (LT Tamara Johnson calls it this in the episode 'Time'). It was not a coincidence. The ship chose the planet. The ship puts them where the people need to go but doesnt relay instructions, which can have deadly consequences like in this episode.
            I repeat...

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
            No. Destiny had no idea that the nasty beasties held the cure to the humans' malaise, I'm not in any way convinced that Destiny knew the creatures existed. Hell, I doubt Destiny even knew the humans were sick. It's called "coincidence". The writers may retcon it in tho But no, Destiny is entirely single-minded unless told otherwise.
            The reason I said Ancients above is that I believe someone on the ship must have the ancient gene. From the first two Stargate shows at least one major character has ATA gene. And before someone says anything I realize in the fourth episode Rush said the ship was pre-dates the Lantean technology.
            Indeed. But I doubt that (at any point in S1) the Ancient gene will come in to play. Otherwise SGU would need to explain a big chunk of the backstory of SG-1/SGA.
            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              Sure the ship analyzed the water, determined its toxicity to the aliens intruders on board (human) and divided a solution against human physiology by analyzing the flying goauld venom on a planet many light years away. Way to go Destiny!!!
              Sure it may turn the Destiny into the lamest deuxexmachina and plot device, but I now think its what the writers want us to believe. That there's a big possibility the Destiny brought them there for a reason.

In the writers mind, they say to themselves. Sure the crew doesn't have the navigational control of the ship, but at least the ship bring them possibly in the right place for their needs. So its not luck after luck after luck after luck. Which would fast become unbelievable.

A bit strange the ship doesn't communicate any of it on the screen, but its a better plot device that way. Since the Destiny crew must still find out what to do on the planet. For example, "Time" episode would be boring (or at least completely different) if the Destiny control screen said:

- Warning! Warning! Contaminated water.
              - Next stop: Third planet on the solar system: The flying goauld venom is an antidote for the water disease.
              - Dilute 2mg of the venom in 50ml of sterile water or use directly
              All the plot would be known by the Destiny crew. With no mystery for them (hence us the viewers). Obviously the episode would be completely different.

What prompted my change of mind is the transcript from Air 2 when Rush tell them they arrived at a Lime planet:

RUSH
              The Ancients sent out a number of unmanned ships ahead of this one. They're programmed to gather data, resources, to manufacture Stargates and deposit them in habitable worlds. Any relevant information is relayed back here to help plot the course.

YOUNG
              You're telling me that this ship knows we're in trouble?

RUSH
              (impatiently)
              Yes, because I told it we were! Essentially, we're flying on auto-pilot. This ship may have stopped when it was within range of a Stargate regardless of our need, but I have reason to believe…

So its possible the Destiny had prior knowledge of the planet. But its very far fetched that the ship knew the venom on the planet was a cure for the water disease (which the ship seem to know all about). To know such precise information, you would need to inspect flying goauld specimens and to do some proper experimentations.

Also before the Lime planet, its Rush which have input the need for "Air" (i don't know his exact input). So the ship brought them there. But in this episode nobody knew about the contaminated water, nobody was even sick, but the ship seem to know all about it.

Also whats the deal with given them a limited time to save their ass here, on the lime planet and whatever. Sure its a good plot device. But nobody would program a ship to do the thing in such a sadistically way. "You got 14 hours to save yourself, or I'm gone and you all die". Am I watching Jigsaw or what? (movie Saw).
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                The Destiny has already shown to have advance knowledge of planets; otherwise, it wouldn't lock any of them out.
                Maybe those were locked out cause the seeder ships made mention in the info they sent back about toxicidity or something else there which would be harmful to ancients if not in suits. Therefore rush inputted they had no suits, so it locked them out to avoid them going there.

Indeed. But I doubt that (at any point in S1) the Ancient gene will come in to play. Otherwise SGU would need to explain a big chunk of the backstory of SG-1/SGA.
                Maybe they might have it come into play as something key in getting into the main systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                  Certainly not a bad POV, tho perhaps as the main systems come online we'll be able to answer that with a bit more certainty!

JUst rereading some culture novels - maybe some of the kino's are destiny's drones :-)
                  ----------------------------
                  You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Working...
                  X