Destiny as a Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny as a Character

It was a lot more subtle in this episode than in previous ones, but the idea that the ship itself is a character and is attempting to help the crew to survive was reinforced in this episode. Every other time Destiny has stopped it had a practical reason. Could it be that the ship knew about the disease and took them to a planet that contained the cure? Of course, they have to do most of the legwork but at least the ship it pushing them in the right direction. It's much too soon in the series to know if that pattern will continue but it's an interesting point. Is Destiny self-aware in any sense? Is it trying to keep the crew alive?

Most definitely.

I'm one to believe that Destiny and the other ships are Self-Aware. The Ancients crossed galaxies, they built the Stargates, and created the Replicators... the last one being definite proof of their ability to create AI...

Destiny definitely seems to be seem possessive of a consciousness, it has always done everything to help the people onboard, its always had a reason to stop, and it locked out potentially dangerous addresses so the teams could go to the one that would save them.

I've got the sneaking suspicion Rush knows something about this...

Comment

An inanimate object such a metallic core of a ship being considered a character is a bit far-fetched. In response to your idea though, I feel the ship as you stated and displayed throughout the various episodes offers its support. From what I've seen the ship is beginning to in a way make tasks more difficult, perhaps assisting them in a place those on the ship are distanced from, but are becoming accustomed to over time. I feel this eventually will lead to those on the ship further exploring planets, similar to the previous Stargates and eventually regain parts or a majority of the 80+ % of the ship they have no control over.

Comment

i dont think the ship is thinking to any dregree, more of a system which puts things together to determine where to stop. such as rush starts searchign for things to do with the air supply and the ship systems arent functioning properly so it puts the two together and finds a planet with lime

Comment

If she's a character, she's more of a ***** than any of the others.

Seriously, she leads them to the Desert Planet and doesn't alert them to the Dust Devil drinking the water after they head off. She doesn't wait for the shuttle in Light. She leads them to Hoth for water, and the water turns out bad. She leads them to the Jungle Planet... while a solar flare was just hours away. Instead of locking out the address and not risking the humans getting caught in the flare, she shrugs and lets them do their thing.

Yeah, I think Destiny is a character as is, but I hope we don't have her speak through the others or have an avatar later on.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by mylestaylor View Post
            It was a lot more subtle in this episode than in previous ones, but the idea that the ship itself is a character and is attempting to help the crew to survive was reinforced in this episode. Every other time Destiny has stopped it had a practical reason. Could it be that the ship knew about the disease and took them to a planet that contained the cure? Of course, they have to do most of the legwork but at least the ship it pushing them in the right direction. It's much too soon in the series to know if that pattern will continue but it's an interesting point. Is Destiny self-aware in any sense? Is it trying to keep the crew alive?
            possible spoiler?

Spoiler:
            Maybe it is not destiny guiding the crew, but Rush's (possibly Ascended) wife.

Comment

Certainly not a bad POV, tho perhaps as the main systems come online we'll be able to answer that with a bit more certainty!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
              : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

It would be fun if Eli connected to the main computer with an earth PC and found he could converse with the central AI but only in very basic alien terms via a simple text interface.

Like in the crappy movie Sphere when the scientists believe they are talking to an alien intelligence. The answers he gets are very basic and strange and take a bit of guesswork as the though processes behind them are so different. Eli could call it Joshua after Wargames and someone else could mention Hal.

Comment

I think it's just a really advanced computer, very weak AI if anything. It can take input from its surroundings and manual interface (Rush) and perform the appropriate responce based on them.

We've not actually seen it adapt nor learn from anything so far. It seems simpler than it knows what to do to gain Water/Air/Medicine, rather than adapt to it.

Comment

No. Destiny had no idea that the nasty beasties held the cure to the humans' malaise, I'm not in any way convinced that Destiny knew the creatures existed. Hell, I doubt Destiny even knew the humans were sick. It's called "coincidence". The writers may retcon it in tho But no, Destiny is entirely single-minded unless told otherwise.
                    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

hopefully it won't turn out as ascended ancient intervention for a change, although considering their importance in the stargate universe ancients are bound to be introduced into the series at some point
                      I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Sure the ship analyzed the water, determined its toxicity to the aliens intruders on board (human) and divided a solution against human physiology by analyzing the flying goauld venom on a planet many light years away. Way to go Destiny!!!
                        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                          Sure the ship analyzed the water, determined its toxicity to the aliens intruders on board (human) and divided a solution against human physiology by analyzing the flying goauld venom on a planet many light years away. Way to go Destiny!!!
                          I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible, this is a sci-fi show not a reality tv show

Comment

Originally posted by mylestaylor View Post

Afterall.. the ship apparently led the crew to a cure for their sickness..hm...

Comment

If the ship does have an advanced AI, why hasn't it contacted the crew? I like the idea that the ship is self-aware, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Unless there's a reason it's not interacting.

Comment

Working...
                              X