GateWorld Homepage Banners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rule of third? what do you mean?
    Sheppard is still ok but Weir and Teyla, they could be much much better ...

Anyway, I don't do headers upon request, sorry guys .... Baal and Adria were 2 that I planned to do one day since a long time... just that I haven't had the inspiration and motivation until now ...
    Gilles
    http://www.thescifiworld.net

Amanda Tapping interview
    Ben Browder interview
    Beau Bridges interview

Comment

Originally posted by Wallpaperman View Post
      The rule of third? what do you mean?
      Sheppard is still ok but Weir and Teyla, they could be much much better ...

Anyway, I don't do headers upon request, sorry guys .... Baal and Adria were 2 that I planned to do one day since a long time... just that I haven't had the inspiration and motivation until now ...
      The basic rule of any artwork: http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

IMO, the Teyla one is the best of them all. Yes the colouring could do with a bit of work but the composition is perfect.
      What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Well any way you forgot to make Jacob Carter along time ago then, you have Bra'tac but no Tok'ra.

Comment

I don't care about "rules", art has no rules, as long as it is good looking. And this isn't a photo. Anyway, I don't see what's "broken"... Images are perfectly balanced to me. And more, I'd say that on the old ones, they are very badly balanced. With 2 characters on the images, it gives precisely the image a better balance. More than that, the "rule of 3rd" is perfectly applied here on the new headers .....
          Last edited by Wallpaperman; 22 November 2009, 08:58 AM.
          Gilles
          http://www.thescifiworld.net

Amanda Tapping interview
          Ben Browder interview
          Beau Bridges interview

Comment

I don't care about "rules", art has no rules, as long as it is good looking. And this isn't a photo. Anyway, I don't see what's "broken"... Images are perfectly balanced to me. And more, I'd say that on the old ones, they are very badly balanced. With 2 characters on the images, it gives precisely the image a better balance. More than that, the "rule of 3rd" is perfectly applied here on the new headers .....
            You're right, it's not a rule, that's just it's name. Anything created taking the rule of thirds into account is generally more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. And no this isn't a photo, that was just the first explanation that came up on google, the rule of thirds applies to everything, I first learnt it as a filming technique for example. 2 characters never, ever, balances a picture as they can never be symmetrical, 1 or 3 always balances better. The rule isn't applied on the extreme close ups I've seen. But like I said, there's nothing wrong with that, I just find it aesthetically annoying and have attributed that as a reason. It's just a shame as I think your early ones were so wonderful But then I find Robert Pattinson aesthetically annoying so...
            What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

When it comes to the site headers (or just about any sort of integrated page design element), the rule of thirds issue doesn't apply nearly as much as issues of balance. The goal with the character heads has always been to use them to balance the other dominant element of the image, which is the site logo.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Is it wrong to say I love them all? Can't wait for whatever is going to pop up next.

Comment

Originally posted by replicator todd View Post
                  is it wrong to say i love them all? :d can't wait for whatever is going to pop up next.
                  BSG banners
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I love the new banners! Wallpaperman does beautiful work and it a real pleasure seeing exciting new banner artwork popping up all the time on the GateWorld home page.

But then, we all know that scifi folk are extra-creative.

Comment

I think the banners are really beautiful, some are stunning!
                      I am not quite so fond of the SGU ones, because they are so close-up I notice the "pancake" makeup on the actress's faces.
                      But truly, these banners are one of the reasons GW looks so good.
                      Thanks for making them!

Comment

Working...
                      X