New Source of Medicine- The Shriekers? Spoilers for "Time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Source of Medicine- The Shriekers? Spoilers for "Time"

Well, we have in this episode the first example of something that can realistically be considered an "addition" to our medicinal stores. The venom of the little "Shriekers" had antibodies due to bacteria in the body of AT1 Rush. This would lead me to believe that any other bacteria in a human being could have caused antibodies in those creatures.

So, does TJ keep a few dozen as "pets", exposing them to pathogens to make antibodies in the same way current medical science uses horses to make snake antivenoms and tons of other medicines?

Will we see this venom used more? Who would have to feed the animals (my money is on Brody...I don't know why, I just see him being scared to death and being relegated to animal husbandry)

Speculations! Discussions! Exclamation marks!

We don't know how far Rush went into the past. For all we know, he went back 50 years and the microbes killed 99% of the creature population before they evolved an immunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
      We don't know how far Rush went into the past. For all we know, he went back 50 years and the microbes killed 99% of the creature population before they evolved an immunity.
      Yes, but in theory they would have antibodies for any bacteria Rush had on him, not just the 1 from the water, since all his bacteria would have been foreign to them. There are many human illnesses caused by bacteria we carry within ourselves going haywire, making these critters venom a possible antibiotic for many types of common human illnesses!

Comment

maybe those microbes were the ancestors of those creatures and rush went back in time millions of years..thats right the gate has been there for millions of years!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
          Well, we have in this episode the first example of something that can realistically be considered an "addition" to our medicinal stores. The venom of the little "Shriekers" had antibodies due to bacteria in the body of AT1 Rush. This would lead me to believe that any other bacteria in a human being could have caused antibodies in those creatures.

So, does TJ keep a few dozen as "pets", exposing them to pathogens to make antibodies in the same way current medical science uses horses to make snake antivenoms and tons of other medicines?

Will we see this venom used more? Who would have to feed the animals (my money is on Brody...I don't know why, I just see him being scared to death and being relegated to animal husbandry)

Speculations! Discussions! Exclamation marks!
          I never thought of it like this....
          My theory was that...since the disease was microrganisms...was that the venom was just naturally poisonous to them. As well as the crew. That is why it is so effective in 'small quantities', that the venom in very small quantities will just kill the microrganisms, and leave the rest of the host organism alone

Comment

Well I thought the venom just put Humans into a coma, once the body filtered it out, the person wakes up. It essentially harmeless to us humans unless I missed something.

As to the venom itself is just a natural anti biotic, which happens to be effective against the water virus, they just got lucky, very lucky, astronomically lucky or the destiny was just looking after it new toys.

Could it be useful for other bacterias an viruses encounter in the future possible, it could also be use a anaesthetics. which we also running low on.

So TJ should keep a few bottles of this venom around.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Well I thought the venom just put Humans into a coma, once the body filtered it out, the person wakes up. It essentially harmeless to us humans unless I missed something.

As to the venom itself is just a natural anti biotic, which happens to be effective against the water virus, they just got lucky, very lucky, astronomically lucky or the destiny was just looking after it new toys.

Could it be useful for other bacterias an viruses encounter in the future possible, it could also be use a anaesthetics. which we also running low on.

So TJ should keep a few bottles of this venom around.
              I think its likely that the Destiny detected the virus before they did and chose a planet with a suitable cure, not luck at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                I think its likely that the Destiny detected the virus before they did and chose a planet with a suitable cure, not luck at all.
                i think the only problem with that is im sure that destiny is aware of how much time has passed and whether or not such creatures would still be around.

Comment

I would LOVE it if they kept a few of the creatures onboard. There are at least two ideas for an interesting episode there.

One is the creatures obviously get loose, then mate and have dozens of baby creatures running around that they have to systematically destroy/catch.

Also, if there's an intruder onboard and they enter TJ's sickbay and there aren't any weapons around, they can just sick the creatures on the intruder.

That would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    i think the only problem with that is im sure that destiny is aware of how much time has passed and whether or not such creatures would still be around.
                    Which is why I think it chose that planet....it just seemed to be the best option...

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                      I would LOVE it if they kept a few of the creatures onboard. There are at least two ideas for an interesting episode there.

One is the creatures obviously get loose, then mate and have dozens of baby creatures running around that they have to systematically destroy/catch.

Also, if there's an intruder onboard and they enter TJ's sickbay and there aren't any weapons around, they can just sick the creatures on the intruder.

That would be awesome.
                      That's not a bad Idea at all. there are supposed to be some
                      Spoiler:
                      Aliens who take Rush, perhaps they run into these aliens...
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                        Yes, but in theory they would have antibodies for any bacteria Rush had on him, not just the 1 from the water, since all his bacteria would have been foreign to them. There are many human illnesses caused by bacteria we carry within ourselves going haywire, making these critters venom a possible antibiotic for many types of common human illnesses!
                        But everyone is already healthy. They wouldn't have been taken to Icarus without going through a physical examination. Whatever micro-organisms they already carried with them are harmless.

Keeping the creature around could be dangerous since they may be carrying diseases that humans have no defense against.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        maybe those microbes were the ancestors of those creatures and rush went back in time millions of years..thats right the gate has been there for millions of years!
                        The kinos and bones wouldn't couldn't have been next to the gate for all that time.
                        Last edited by Giantevilhead; 14 November 2009, 05:57 PM.

Comment

You know, I wonder if these Shriekers will come back to haunt them. It may be a running theme that something that happens offworld will come back and bite the crew on the ass episodes later.
                          They went to the desert planet, and brought back the Dust Devil. The Dust Devil drinks their water, and they're forced to mine water from Hoth. The water from Hoth has micro-organisms in it, and that makes them all sick. The cure is on the Jungle Planet, and they bring back two Kinos from alternate timelines and some Shriekers to synthesise a cure.

What next? The cure makes everybody nuts and the Destiny is forced to fly into a sun with its shield down? The Shriekers on board break free and turn people into zombies (Or an Alien homage)? Or...
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Why hasn't SGC found a cure for HIV/AIDs and other viruses/diseases yet with all the technology and medicine they may come across from other alien species? I also wonder if they've found cures whether they've introduced these on Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniela View Post
                              Why hasn't SGC found a cure for HIV/AIDs and other viruses/diseases yet with all the technology and medicine they may come across from other alien species? I also wonder if they've found cures whether they've introduced these on Earth?
                              no way to get it back to earth. to make the med you would need samples and stuff like that doesn't travel when using stones. and the destiny can't dial earth.

and TJ doesn't have all that fancy stuff with her on destiny she's just a medic
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X