Environmental Suits.....forgotten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environmental Suits.....forgotten?

Why did they not go back to the planet using the environmental suits as armor?

Is this honestly something that any of them would have forgotten about?

Any protection would have been nice to have, and those really do seem to fit the bill.

also...

-flamethrower
    -spot lights (nocturnal creatures)
    -flares
    -nets

It was a suicide mission by all definitions with what they brought along. Even with the limited amount of "time" available, this was a botched mission.

Originally posted by Darschu View Post

Any protection would have been nice to have, and those really do seem to fit the bill.

also...

-flamethrower
    -flares
    -nets

It was a suicide mission by all definitions with what they brought along. Even with the limited amount of "time" available, this was a botched mission.
    They had an hour. There simply wasn't time to go around and gather up all those things.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

also...

-flamethrower
      -flares
      -nets

There was a time factor here. The suits might have taken a while to get into for all we know. Real space suits do take some time to put on and require a few people helping. Plus, they may only have one working suit at the moment. Remember that Riley was hurt THROUGH the suit meaning that the suit might have been badly damaged as well. We know they were working on a third suit, but who knows if that is done so its possible only one was avalible.

Even so, only two people in suits wouldn't have made much of a difference in this case.

You don't use a Flamethrower in a forest. Unless you want to burn to death.

Nets would have been nice. Do they have nets? I can't imagine they had a bunch of nets just laying around in the limited supplies they were bringing plus I don't think its standard gear for an SG Team, let alone a bunch of base staff.

Spot Lights might have been nice ... do they have those? I think I have said this before. Sure they could rig something up over time, but with only an hour or so left?

Flares would have been good, especially if you want a whole forest full of creatures that seemed semi-intelligent to know where you are. They wouldn't have helped Timeline 2 Greer much as the creature dropped down on him from the trees.

They had little choice and little chance of catching a live one at night. It was a last ditch hail mary effort that got them all killed unfortunately. Brave, but doomed to almost certain failure with only an hour left and no time for planning.

- CB
      Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
      Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Oh, what was the name of this episode? Time, was it? Yeah...they didn't have enough of that, what with the flare occurring in 45 minutes to an hour...

Comment

After realizing they need to go to planet to capture an flying alien alive to have a cure for the water disease. Their plan seemed pretty half-assed. In fact, they didn't have a plan. I found it strange the first time around while watching the episode. I was like: Didn't you guys just saw the video? Those aliens are ferocious. I thought we would see their plan to capture one aliens alive in action on the planet but finally they had no plan and they all die beside Scott.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Well, what plan were you expecting? They had 45 minutes and they were desperate. That's all there was to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
              There was a time factor here. The suits might have taken a while to get into for all we know. Real space suits do take some time to put on and require a few people helping.
              Bull crap! Sheppard was able to get into a space suit, hanging on the wall, half unconcious, within seconds while the midway station was being depressurized. If that is true, then the people on the Destiny had TONS of time and were just being careless (or very bad writing by the writers).

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                Well, what plan were you expecting? They had 45 minutes and they were desperate. That's all there was to it.
                I don't know. I'm not the one who should come up with the plan. Getting killed ain't much of a plan either. Yes using the suits may be such plan. Maybe some form of armor. Maybe stand close to the gate with the wormhole open in direction of the destiny. Or maybe capture one of the alien dead and take their chance of finding the venom through dissection.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

the Kull armor in SG1 took half an hour to put on, 20 minutes eventually. would they waste half an hour at dressing up, then have half an hour left to locate and actually retrieve one of these creatures?

it was suicide, but actually, they still had the knowledge of the solar flare. should it go wrong, then they had a way to change time -again-

Comment

The suit's glove probably can't fit in the trigger guard. Plus, they needed bait to lure the aliens out. If they were in the suits, they wouldn't give off any scent for the aliens to track.

Comment

also...

-flamethrower
                      -flares
                      -nets

why risk damaging the space suits when you can just send back a kino and capture the shriekers while they are sleeping?

Also, flamethrowers are ill advised on a jungle planet. You could literally burn down the whole planet.

I wonder how many seasons until Rush and Eli pull a Carter/McKay and destroy a planet/star/solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                        I don't know. I'm not the one who should come up with the plan. Getting killed ain't much of a plan either. Yes using the suits may be such plan. Maybe some form of armor. Maybe stand close to the gate with the wormhole open in direction of the destiny. Or maybe capture one of the alien dead and take their chance of finding the venom through dissection.
                        It takes like 20 minutes to put on a suit, if I remember correctly from the kino videos. That's definitely out.
                        Some kind of armor? What should they use? Those vests already have kevlar built into them, but the things went right through. I doubt the dinner tray would have made much of a difference. Especially since they would have needed to be covered from top to bottom.

Stand close to the gate and hope they come for them? Sure, that sounds like a plan...unless you only have minutes to accomplish your mission. You can't afford to sit and wait.

Capture one of the dead aliens? Sure thing. But that still means they'd have to go looking for them, killing at least one and then getting back.

Essentially, they did the only thing they could.

Comment

Well there was at least one that understood the "time" in quotes. Time travel is a funny thing, and all sci-fi shows need to remember that. Once you set a precedence you should always remember to follow your own rules.

"Time has resumed its shape. All is as it was before,"
                          As far as a flamethrower in the jungle environment goes, well do I really need to point out how many times it has been used in real life jungle warfare before? It also appears to be a "rain-forest" and that would infer a damp environment to begin with.

These are nocturnal creatures and bright light appeared to deflect them, hence the flashlights in the cave. When those went out, they were attacked coincidence or not it was recorded as such by the kino.

The premise of this was based on there appearing to never be any indication of a thought process involved in their actions. This is a tv show and in such they have the ability to flesh out the story beforehand. They had ZERO discussion on how to accomplish the mission in any way shape or form.

Comment

Just because...
                            " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
                            - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Comment

Originally posted by Xamindar View Post
                              Bull crap! Sheppard was able to get into a space suit, hanging on the wall, half unconcious, within seconds while the midway station was being depressurized. If that is true, then the people on the Destiny had TONS of time and were just being careless (or very bad writing by the writers).
                              This doesn't change the fact that real Space Suits do take quite a bit of time to get into. Just because a fictional character did it in a fictional show with a fictional suit doesn't change the realistic time it takes to get into a real space suit. Honestly, him getting into that suit so fast always concerned me as a 'plot hole'. Now if someone who has really worn some of the Real Life space suits comes on and posts how long it takes to get into one, and its really that quick I will stand corrected and gladly say so.

Well there was at least one that understood the "time" in quotes.
                              Ohh I think more then one person had an idea what you were talking about. Since you bring it up, but again don't post the exact meaning of what you wanted to say, I can only guess on what your "quote" meant.

If you are referring to the fact they could just send another Kino back in time to give them another chance in another timeline, ... I'm going to refer to the movie "Stargate Continuum" here. Just because they COULD change the timeline, it doesn't mean they don't want to exist in their own timeline. Changing the past means the present doesn't exist and at the point they went on the mission no one was dead and they had very little time to try and save them. While they could have just sent a Kino through the gate and change events again, which they eventually did, I don't think anyone was willing to give up on their own lives so quickly since changing the past means their timeline would not exist as anything more then a "Kino memory".

I know if I was faced with a choice to change the past, or try and save the present, I would do everything I could to save my current timeline first before just giving up and altering my own timeline. In the end, faced with the choice Scott had to make, I would do the same but not before exhausting all possibilities to save "This" timeline.

Now, if you meant something else by "Time" please be specific rather then just expecting people to know what you mean. It leads to healthier discussions.

As for the other points you made, Flame Thrower, Spotlight, etc etc, I think enough people including myself earlier have given reasons for why we think they might not have gone down that direction.

- CB
                              Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
                              Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Working...
                              X