No announcement yet.

Environmental Suits.....forgotten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably because the suits are there to provide an atmosphere for the user rather than protect against enemies. Plus the environment didn't require that they use them.

Plus I think there's only a limited amount of them!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
    : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

they probably should have put in a line about why they weren't going to try the suits

but in general I'd say it was because they didn't have the time, not only the time to put them on but also to bump around in them on the planet... they looked pretty bulky and cumbersome to me which might not be too problematic in a 0 gravity environment but on a regular planet it would be a drag

storywise they obviously went in like this for shock value, we know Young has a tendency for suicide missions but you wouldn't expect to see him decimated like this because we know he has a plot shield!

PS why is nobody whining they didn't take a whicker basket along with them to carry the alien through the gate? planning on taking it along with their bare hands? now that's a plot hole! maybe they should have brought along an environmental suit to trap the alien in there then take it through the gate haha
      I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

They send a Kino thru every gate so they determine if the planet is safe by that means. Thus not needing enviro suits if the air was breathable imo.
        sigpic

Comment

Yep, that was a plot hole. They weren't carrying anything that looked like they could put a live alien in to bring back. And once they found them, all they did was shoot at them. Did they think they were going to find one alien carcas lying around just injured and not dead?

Of course they were running out of time - both to get the alien before the solar flare and for the episode. It's possible that a bunch of lines and even a big chunk of the scene wound up on the proverbial cutting room floor.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darschu View Post
            Spoiler:
            I am going to have to think that Tectonic sheets of "some ice" breaking apart a suit in a crevasse just might exert a LOT more crushing pressure than a pair of fangs and a slippery tongue.
            Spoiler:
            Well, I don't recall Scott being crushed between tectonic plates. I thought that the shifting caused a sharp bit of the ice to catch his suit and puncture it. He was losing air due to a puncture. I could be wrong on that, but I could've sworn Scott said he was physically fine.

Not being able to concede nonsense for the sake of defending a series is inconceivable. Love Star Trek, by god it's got some dumb as hell plot holes. SG1 ; just how many times is Daniel going to ascend? SGA ; seriously a worm drive?
            Well, your point was that they should've worn space suits to a planet that has breathable air and that it was a plot hole that they didn't. Because there's no reason to believe that the suits act as some kind of armour, there's no need for them. Thus it isn't a plot hole.

(4) Soldiers going through the gate into a situation they saw unfold with their very own eyes on the kino replay, yeh they knew they were all dead.
            Now THIS is a plot hole. The basically knew that the disease would kill them if their mission on the planet was a failure, so it's not like they were worried about putting more people at risk than necessary. The lack of a net/ cage was also a plot hole. Grab one of those things with your bare hands? Buh-bye hands.

All in all though, I'm the type of viewer who doesn't need everything to make perfect sense. In fact, I kind of hate that everything gets picked apart no matter how small an oversight it is. With all the people on here pointing out every little screw up, it's no wonder a lot of people don't like the show without even seeing it.

Comment

People being dumb/not having the proper equipment is not a plot hole.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I wrote the exact same thing a few days ago but my comment got moved to another thread

Here is my comment

When they went the second time, too hunt for the aliens they should have worn the suits.

BECAUSE then to the aliens it would have just seen as big rocks or some form of dead object or what ever, and the team could easily have killed a few and taken them back with them.

And a super clarification <Snipped by Moderator> I am not I say again not talking about preventing getting sick because it was from the water from the ice planet do you understand I am not talking about that.

What I am talking about is when they went to hunt for the aliens then they should have had the suits on because the aliens would not have picked up on their heat or life or what ever, it would have just have been like big rocks to the aliens.

And again I am not talking about preventing the disease since we all know it came from the ice planet.

Ok by writing it twice I think I can minimize the number of posts to about 1/3 who thinks that I think that the sickness came from the planet
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 November 2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: No name calling,please.

Comment

HUH? They would still give off heat in the enviromental suits, probably even more due to the life support machinery. That's basic thermodynamics. The aliens would of still known they were there.

And in case you missed my previous post, I will post this part again: I used to work for ILC/Dover, the company that makes the soft goods part of the Apollo and Shuttle program space suits.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by I-Like-Pie View Post
                    When they went the second time, too hunt for the aliens they should have worn the suits.

BECAUSE then to the aliens it would have just seen as big rocks or some form of dead object or what ever, and the team could easily have killed a few and taken them back with them.

And a super clarification <Snippedby Moderator>, I am not I say again not talking about preventing getting sick because it was from the water from the ice planet do you understand I am not talking about that.

What I am talking about is when they went to hunt for the aliens then they should have had the suits on because the aliens would not have picked up on their heat or life or what ever, it would have just have been like big rocks to the aliens.

And again I am not talking about preventing the disease since we all know it came from the ice planet.

Ok by writing it twice I think I can minimize the number of posts to about 1/3 who thinks that I think that the sickness came from the planet
                    I haven't seen anyone post that they thought the illness came from the jungle planet. It was very plainly stated in the episode that it was from the planet they visited in "Water." The OP thought the suits would give some physical protection against the aliens.

I also don't think the aliens wouldn't have attacked just because they didn't know what the crew in suits were. They've almost certainly never seen a human before, and they attacked the Destiny crew without hesitation. Also, Ann_Ominous has some good explanations about the suits not shielding heat signatures, etc. They were made to let people work in a vacuum, not be stealthy.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 November 2009, 09:22 PM. Reason: removed a piece from the quoted post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                      I haven't seen anyone post that they thought the illness came from the jungle planet. It was very plainly stated in the episode that it was from the planet they visited in "Water." The OP thought the suits would give some physical protection against the aliens.

I also don't think the aliens wouldn't have attacked just because they didn't know what the crew in suits were. They've almost certainly never seen a human before, and they attacked the Destiny crew without hesitation. Also, Ann_Ominous has some good explanations about the suits not shielding heat signatures, etc. They were made to let people work in a vacuum, not be stealthy.
                      I agree

This line of thinking always reminds me of the line from Futurama

Leela: "Five thousand feet!"
                      Farnsworth: "Dear Lord! That's over one hundred and fifty athmospheres of pressure."
                      Fry: "How many athmospheres can the ship withstand?"
                      Farnsworth: "Well, it's a space ship. So I'd say anywhere between zero and one."
                      They are under water in a spaceship and Prof. Farnsworth makes the point that a spaceship is designed to protect the atmosphere inside the ship against the vacuum outside, meaning that the pressure is pushing *outward*, whereas being underwater, the pressure is pressing *inward* and that is *not* what the ship is designed for.

Point I'm trying to make is that a suite designed to protect you from the environment is not necessarily designed to protect you against teeth.
                      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

I think a better question for the environmental suits, is why they havn't been used to explore the ship....

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
                          I think a better question for the environmental suits, is why they havn't been used to explore the ship....
                          They will explore the Destiny probably at the same rate that they explored Atlantis *cough*. But yes, the environmental suits would be perfect for that, or rescue missions, etc.

Comment

Honestly why didn't they bring the Keno. When Eli used it the night lit up and it looked like a video game and he could clearly see all the flying slugs.

Comment

HUH? They would still give off heat in the enviromental suits, probably even more due to the life support machinery. That's basic thermodynamics. The aliens would of still known they were there.

And in case you missed my previous post, I will post this part again: I used to work for ILC/Dover, the company that makes the soft goods part of the Apollo and Shuttle program space suits.
                              These are space suits created by the ancients they most likely don't give away any heat or anything at all. Everything is most likely recycled some how.

There was another thread similar to mine which also of course got moved where some people pointed out that indeed they did not get sick from the planet, even though the commenter had not written that they did to avoid that I put it in

No they wouldn't have attacked the suits because the aliens are most likely not self thinking and understanding animals like humans but just primitive like insects or birds or what ever and to fly against something that gives away no heat or anything at full speed is equally as smart as to fly full speed into a rock and serves no purpose and the flying things would have most likely avoided the suits just as they avoid rocks

And that is why they should have worn the suits

Comment

Yes, the suits were made by the ancients and definately more advanced than ours in some ways (smaller life support unit and more air), but they still would not of been heat invisible. They weren't stealth suits, as someone else pointed out. They sure tore easily as compared to space shuttle suits (don't think they had 5 layers).

And even if they did hide the heat and made the people look like rocks, they would of ceased to look like rocks the minute they started moving. They wouldn't of looked like trees moving in the wind either, but big moving pillars of rock. Those aggressive creatures would of attacked anything that moved, even a moving rock.

Your logic is flawed throughout. And as others have pointed out, they only had one working suit, at most 3 if they had gotten the other two repaired. But for all we know they could of taken the one suit down the third time when they got the creatures in the nest in order to avoid breathing the sulfur. That is the one and only one thing the enviromental suit would of been good for.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X