No announcement yet.

Environmental Suits.....forgotten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've seen what the Asgard can do with these suits, so hopefully the crew will be able to beef them up in the future.

Also, if they were to use them for physical armor, why would they need to use the working one? Armor doesn't have to be spaceworthy. After a few million years, I'd bet the most prevalent issues with them would be the seams not being airtight.
    We look for things.
    Things to make us go. [INDENT]--The Pakleds

Comment

Originally posted by Transwarp View Post
      We've seen what the Asgard can do with these suits, so hopefully the crew will be able to beef them up in the future.

Also, if they were to use them for physical armor, why would they need to use the working one? Armor doesn't have to be spaceworthy. After a few million years, I'd bet the most prevalent issues with them would be the seams not being airtight.
      If we are to believe that the Pegasus Asgard had indeed refitted Ancient suits, they made some HEAVY modifications. The shield generators, for one. Remember after the shields on the one suit went down and a couple shots was all it took to punch through?

Seriously, there's nothing to say that these suits have any sort of heat-dampening properties. Saying "ooh, but the Ancients built them!" isn't a valid argument. The Ancients built them, why can't they withstand gunfire or tectonic stress? Hell, the Ancients built them, why can't they fly and breathe fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
        Seriously, there's nothing to say that these suits have any sort of heat-dampening properties. Saying "ooh, but the Ancients built them!" isn't a valid argument. The Ancients built them, why can't they withstand gunfire or tectonic stress? Hell, the Ancients built them, why can't they fly and breathe fire?
        I have to agree, esp. since saying that the Ancients did something, it doesn't have to be explained, or that everyone just assumes that its' going to kick ass.

We're gonna have to get over this at some point

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

And these were old Ancient suits, made way before the latest and greatest models.
          sigpic

Comment

I'll agree with the posters who say the suits would have been mostly useless. There was only one working suit. Those squid made short work of kevlar, I don't think the suit would have fared much better. It also limits movement which would be counter productive against what turned out to be pretty quick squid that can come from everywhere including dropping out of the trees.

Their plan wasn't very good but considering the time constraint and the equipment thy actually had to work with, I don't think that there was logically much else they could do especially just going off the intel they had.

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
              I think a better question for the environmental suits, is why they havn't been used to explore the ship....
              We saw them using them to fix the ship in Earth. Also, after what happened to Riley perhaps one of them is damaged as well.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann_Ominous View Post
                Yes, the suits were made by the ancients and definately more advanced than ours in some ways (smaller life support unit and more air), but they still would not of been heat invisible. They weren't stealth suits, as someone else pointed out. They sure tore easily as compared to space shuttle suits (don't think they had 5 layers).

And even if they did hide the heat and made the people look like rocks, they would of ceased to look like rocks the minute they started moving. They wouldn't of looked like trees moving in the wind either, but big moving pillars of rock. Those aggressive creatures would of attacked anything that moved, even a moving rock.

Your logic is flawed throughout. And as others have pointed out, they only had one working suit, at most 3 if they had gotten the other two repaired. But for all we know they could of taken the one suit down the third time when they got the creatures in the nest in order to avoid breathing the sulfur. That is the one and only one thing the enviromental suit would of been good for.
                Your opinion is very nice but of course it is your logic that is flawed.

The suits most likely absorb any excess heat and convert it into power, and of course any smells are also converted.

And again I don't think the creatures would have touched them, and you can think what ever you want.

Comment

Also, you can't stay very long or the gate would be malfunctioning and you would be stuck forever and sooner or later the suit will damage under the alien attack. You could last maybe a week at most.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                  X