This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by min min light View Post
    I've noticed that this is true with just about any show at all. The absence of commercials and the ability to go straight to the next episode instead of waiting out a long hiatus are enough to make even a mediocre show enjoyable,
    I'd never have become a Stargate fan if I'd been watching them as they were broadcast. I don't have the patience for the games network PTB play concerning haituses and multipart episodes.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I've noticed that this is true with just about any show at all. The absence of commercials and the ability to go straight to the next episode instead of waiting out a long hiatus are enough to make even a mediocre show enjoyable, not that I'm including SGU in the category of mediocre. But anyone who watched it live and didn't like it much ought to give it another chance.
      This is so true. Any show I like a lot I am watching it over later on DVR and I usually find things I missed because of all the commercial distractions. If I really like a show I get the DVD or download it. It's so much more enjoyable that way.
      sigpic

Comment

Doesn't that just highlight the notion that people are having less and less patience these days
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Doesn't that just highlight the notion that people are having less and less patience these days
          I think it highlights the fact that the way the networks run shows is more and more frustrating these days. They're overstuffed with commercials (opening credits are down to about a flash card at this point), they're moved around to different nights and times, they go on hiatus for months, they announce a return date and then change their minds and push it back and then change their minds again, they let a season end in a cliffhanger and then cancel the show ... and just because we've gotten used to it and we put up with it - that doesn't mean it's actually an enjoyable way to watch a show.
          sigpic

Comment

Its been like that way for decades. People didn't complain about back in the 70s for example despite the TV model was mostly like that. Some are just avoidable/ Hiatsus for example are not going away because its inpractical to produce a show 52 weeks a show
            Jelgate is right

Comment

But back then people had no other options, so whatever patience they had was forced upon them. It wasn't some kind of a virtue that we've lost.
              sigpic

Comment

The one where Chloe got to do something!

I thought she did a great job, and I like that Young is a pretty shrewd judge of character and trusted her to say what was needed to defend him. Whilst the 'hearing' itself seemed to be a pointless exercise it was at least an effort to try and hold onto the 'rules' of a civilised society. This is what made SGU interesting, people trying to hold onto these 'rules,' but finding they had to adapt and create new ones as their new existence dictated. This is why I guess things got a bit out of hand for a while and people were not prepared to be told what to do by certain people who, to them no longer really had the authority granted them by their position in a society left far behind.

Even though Young had misjudged situations, he does try to do the right thing. He has a strong sense of what is the right course of action in different situations, and more often than not his approach is the correct one. It's where it differs with what others may think, Rush in particular. The thing that made Young "dangerous" in Rush's view was in fact the opposite. With the chair for instance, Young urged caution and taking time to discover how to use it safely. This clashes straight away with Rush's obsession to get at Destiny's secrets, making Young out to be the obstacle to making things better for everyone once more of Destiny's controls and data banks are accessed.

The sheer relief and satisfied joy Rush showed when his plan to frame Young worked and he stepped down, leaving him free to get at the chair, he was now answerable to no one! Loved how he played that moment, the smug look of loving when a plan comes together!

I always felt for Young, trying to keep things going, keeping people focused on survival by imposing a routine, but questioned at almost every turn. No wonder he finally lost it in frustration, bringing on a moment of sheer rage resulting him leaving Rush to die on that planet. When I first saw this episode and watched as Rush regained consciousness to find himself alone on the desolate planet it was a shock, did Young really do that?! How would he live with himself? It goes against everything Stargate, "Never leave a man behind"! There is really no excuse for what he did, but in this new unknown life they've been thrown into, could it now be that there really isn't any need for excuses after making a decision in that split second to help ensure that things go on without the added complications caused by selfish, secretive behaviour?

OK we knew Rush would return somehow, but it left great questions that had to be asked. Like how they would come across him again, and of course how will Young atone for his regrettable action.

Comment

Its been like that way for decades. People didn't complain about back in the 70s for example despite the TV model was mostly like that. Some are just avoidable/ Hiatsus for example are not going away because its inpractical to produce a show 52 weeks a show
                  In the 70s, a one hour show was 48 minutes long. By the end of the 2000s, a one hour show was 40 minutes long. So there are now 8 minutes more of commercials. As for the patience needed to deal with the other--I've always had a problem with it, which is why I basically stopped watching network TV in 1993. I'd stopped watching most series during the mid 1980s.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Your average hour TV show is 43 minutes not 40 minutes. Thats approx. a 5 minute difference which adds to only about an extra minute per commercial or less. Like I said before it just seems like a lack of patience which I find a problem with today's society of we have someting now but refuse to wait
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      In the 70s, a one hour show was 48 minutes long. By the end of the 2000s, a one hour show was 40 minutes long.
                      Your average hour TV show is 43 minutes not 40 minutes. Thats approx. a 5 minute difference which adds to only about an extra minute per commercial or less. Like I said before it just seems like a lack of patience which I find a problem with today's society of we have someting now but refuse to wait
                      I watch enough stuff on Netflix to know that the average 30 minute show is actually 21 minutes and the average 60 minute show is 41 minutes.

As for the lack of patience - saying that people are less patient these days because they'd rather watch a show on DVD is like saying people are less patient because they'd rather buy a sweater than raise a sheep, shear it, and knit a sweater out of the wool. We were never patient in the first place, we just had no other options.

Watching a show from first season to last without commercials or a long hiatus or cliffhangers is wonderful. You get the full experience the writers intended you to have, without some car salesman breaking the mood by shrieking at you about a stupid "event." (It's always an "event" with these people. Why is that?) You don't miss stuff because the DVR cut off, or because you don't have a DVR and you mistimed the commercial break or someone wouldn't stop talking.

If you deprive yourself of that experience because you think it's a weakness somehow, please rethink it, because you're missing out on something good.
                      sigpic

Comment

I watch enough stuff on Netflix to know that the average 30 minute show is actually 21 minutes and the average 60 minute show is 41 minutes.
                        Its 23 and 43 respectively
                        As for the lack of patience - saying that people are less patient these days because they'd rather watch a show on DVD is like saying people are less patient because they'd rather buy a sweater than raise a sheep, shear it, and knit a sweater out of the wool. We were never patient in the first place, we just had no other options.
                        I'm not talking about DVD. Its more how we get so frusturated about having to wait two minutes between acts of a TV show. It has nothing to do with DVDs. And of course they had options. They could change the channel like people do these days. But you do not see a lot of channel surfing in those days
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

But back then people had no other options, so whatever patience they had was forced upon them. It wasn't some kind of a virtue that we've lost.
                          Maybe, maybe nt. I have seen people ***** about waiting in line at a teller cause it was taking 'too long'. I have seen people cause of their level of impatience TEXT one another in line when they are standing maybe 10ft away rather than wait a minute to talk to them. So i Do feel it is a sign of the times..

Comment

I'm not talking about DVD. Its more how we get so frusturated about having to wait two minutes between acts of a TV show.
                            Ok. You brought up the lack of patience when we were talking about watching a show straight through on DVD, so I thought you were relating the two things - sorry I misunderstood you.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            So i Do feel it is a sign of the times..
                            I think that people are only as patient as they need to be, in any times. And jackasses exist in all times. (Teller-yeller.)

And since I somehow derailed this thread I'll fix that ...

There is really no excuse for what he [Young] did, but in this new unknown life they've been thrown into, could it now be that there really isn't any need for excuses after making a decision in that split second to help ensure that things go on without the added complications caused by selfish, secretive behaviour?
                            I equate this with Rush making the bad split-second decision to dial the ninth chevron. If either one of them had had 24 hours to think things through, they probably would have talked themselves down. And I did like that they both made bad decisions - it wasn't The Hero vs The Evil Guy. Rush made bad decisions because he was obsessed with the ship, and Young made bad decisions out of the desire to get everyone home.
                            sigpic

Comment

Midweek...another ep of SGU...

1. Boy did this cause a blowup here, I backed Young because his conflict with Rush reminded me slightly of a conflict I'd been involved with a year or two earlier which hadn't 'quite' died down at that point. Since then I've walked away from that conflict but even looking back...there is no way in hell Rush should have framed Young. There were always going to be consequences to that.

2. Wray at this point came accross like she was trying to get credibility with the IOA.

Well...we now know how this is going to play out so...on with the show...
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I thought this was a good mid-season episode. I liked the Rush/Young conflict. Both men were wrong in what they did(imo), but both also felt they had a good reason for their actions. Young's decision to leave Rush behind was worse than what Rush did, though(imo).

I wasn't a fan of the trial part of the episode, but it gave Chloe something more to do. Though, to me, it did kind of did seem forced, like she was being shoehorned into playing lawyer, just to give her something important to do.

Overall, I liked the episode.
                                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 21 November 2012, 05:48 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X