Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Your favorite female character ...

Hi. It's me, O-Ra the annoying.

anyway, i was thinking during the feminist chat ... who is your favorite female character in a TV show, Drama, Comedy, Movie, or Sitcom? or your favorite actress. she should be based on her influence over men, her power, be it physical or mental, her knowledge and her respect for her self.

here's mine.

TV Drama: Jennifer Garner, ALIAS. cool, funny, influential, must have a vault of wigs ... respect .. except for the Vaughn escapade, what the heck is wrong with Syd. huh???

TV Comedy(Sitcom): definatly Debra on Everybody loves Raymond. she is sooo cool. she's short but she's spunky and tough. my mom describes her when she shouts at raymond as an "angry fairy". Some how, that works.

TV Show (scifi) Amanda Tapping (Carter) and Galyn Gorg (Kendra in Thor's Hammer). Strong, decisive, mental (espceially Kendra), infuelntial and both have respect for themselves.

Movie: (Actress) I dunno ... Angelina Jolie? Jennifer Garner? something between those two. Jolie is strong, (kinda), mental, influencial .. kinda scary, In the characters she plays mostly. in real life, she may be, i dunno.
    Garner ... well, she's Alias, that's enough.

is anybody going to see Elektra?

Default Re: Your favorite female character ...

Sidney was an extremely good character, but then she went straight to hell in season 3. She went from a strong, independent woman to a crying wreck pittying herself for not having Vaughn. This is what made season 3 a massive failure in my eyes. I just can't see someone changing that drasticly that fast. She forgot how to do everything and just went on about Vaughn.

However I must say my favorite female character (excluding Lya since we dont know much about her) is Chiana from FarScape.
    That was a very interesting character and she still remains one of my all-time favorites. She didn't think sex was taboo and wasn't afraid of talking about it she had a very relaxed attitude towards life but she was also very insecure regarding other areas and she reminded me of a part I see in many young girls today.

My favorite female character on a tv show is Lorelai Gilmore. Vibrant, alive, able to drum into her daughter that her getting pregnant at 16 was a mistake, without ever giving her the impression that she was a mistake. Which is a thin line to balance on.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Oooh Lorelai is wonderful! Didn't even think about her... Shame on me.

River from Firefly is also one of the most interesting females that I can remember.

Tara too!

gosh well for
    TV Drama: its Jennifer Garner, ALIAS. gotta love syd

TV Comedy well i like Debra on Everybody loves Raymond. also Peg bundy off of Married with children she was funn.

TV Show (scifi) Teryl Rothery (fraiser) really miss her

Movie: well i like so many so i can't really choose but i liked Sigourney weaver in Alien and the village
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/moorgl...mer3banner.jpg
    Try and have as much fun as you can ... you'll never know how long it will last

Re: Your favorite female character ...

love Sigourney and Teyrl. i noticed that Alien added to the suspense by having almost no soundtrack. deathly silent to really make us jump out of our boots.

anyone notice?

yeah i did now thats a good scary movie
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/moorgl...mer3banner.jpg
    Try and have as much fun as you can ... you'll never know how long it will last

Heartbroken Re: Your favorite female character ...

Whether it's the episode of Affinity or her role in Smallvill, I think each of Erica Durance's characters were well written and well acted. But as they say, that is JMHO.

I really liked the character of Dana Scully on XFiles. (Before the whole pregnant-by-? thing, that is.) She was intelligent, strong... and yet flawed. The character learned to relax throughout the series, let down her guard a bit. It was interesting to watch.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    Sidney was an extremely good character, but then she went straight to hell in season 3. She went from a strong, independent woman to a crying wreck pittying herself for not having Vaughn. This is what made season 3 a massive failure in my eyes. I just can't see someone changing that drasticly that fast. She forgot how to do everything and just went on about Vaughn.
    So true.

Quote Originally Posted by debskec
    I really liked the character of Dana Scully on XFiles. (Before the whole pregnant-by-? thing, that is.) She was intelligent, strong... and yet flawed. The character learned to relax throughout the series, let down her guard a bit. It was interesting to watch.

Just my two cents.
    Well, Scully is fun to watch - and make fun of. Did anyone notice that spiritual things kept happening to her and she'd try to find the 'logical explanation." ?

Annoying.

Whatever happened to Gillian .... and David for that matter.

Wasn't Scully a Catholic? She was opposed to supernatural stuff, like aliens and monsters, but there was one episode where she was the believer and Mulder was the skeptic, because it involved religious issues.

Anyway, I think Gillian Anderson has been involved in theater work. And, David Ducovny has small parts in movies. He's playing Julianne Moore's husband in some upcoming film.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Carson’s Wrestling Mat yaaayoubetcha's Avatar

i guess my tops would be....Amanda Tapping, Jennifer Garner (she's dreaaaaamy), Gina Bellman and Tamzin Outhwaite.

Gillian Anderson was great back in the day. Marina Sirtis (Troi on ST:TNG) really bothered me for the first 4 seasons or so.....she just seamed so pathetically useless....breasts in a jumpsuit.....but once they gave her a bit real Star Fleet training, a uniform and turned her characater into something a bit deeper than "i feel something but i don't know what, from where or why" she kinda grew on me....
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Wasn't Scully a Catholic? She was opposed to supernatural stuff, like aliens and monsters, but there was one episode where she was the believer and Mulder was the skeptic, because it involved religious issues.

Anyway, I think Gillian Anderson has been involved in theater work. And, David Ducovny has small parts in movies. He's playing Julianne Moore's husband in some upcoming film.
    Yeah, i remember that. It seems that when she's the "spooky" one, he gets all philosophical and scientific.

Still. most of the time until Mulder was away, Scully was the average scientific nincompoop.

Exclamation Re: Your favorite female character ...

Quote Originally Posted by yaaayoubetcha
    Marina Sirtis (Troi on ST:TNG) really bothered me for the first 4 seasons or so.....she just seamed so pathetically useless....breasts in a jumpsuit.....but once they gave her a bit real Star Fleet training, a uniform and turned her characater into something a bit deeper than "i feel something but i don't know what, from where or why" she kinda grew on me....
    She was Bill Clinton in Space: I Feel your pain

....breasts in a jumpsuit.....but once they gave her a bit real Star Fleet training, a uniform and turned her characater into something a bit deeper...
    Talk about breasts in a jumpsuit, er catsuit? That would be Jeri Ryan; although she was given all that info and skills due to her Borg past.

Carson’s Wrestling Mat yaaayoubetcha's Avatar

True....but at least Jeri Ryan's character started off with a point....both within the show in general and as a member of the crew...she participated......and she did that cool hair bun thing with no needles.....borg know how at it's finest...hehe

Troi.....just silly at first...and not the good silly.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Troi.....just silly at first...and not the good silly.
    You must mean pathetic silly....Barbarella silly. No role model there!

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-RA
    Hi. It's me, O-Ra the annoying.

anyway, i was thinking during the feminist chat ... who is your favorite female character in a TV show, Drama, Comedy, Movie, or Sitcom? or your favorite actress. she should be based on her influence over men, her power, be it physical or mental, her knowledge and her respect for her self.

here's mine.

TV Drama: Jennifer Garner, ALIAS. cool, funny, influential, must have a vault of wigs ... respect .. except for the Vaughn escapade, what the heck is wrong with Syd. huh???

TV Comedy(Sitcom): definatly Debra on Everybody loves Raymond. she is sooo cool. she's short but she's spunky and tough. my mom describes her when she shouts at raymond as an "angry fairy". Some how, that works.

TV Show (scifi) Amanda Tapping (Carter) and Galyn Gorg (Kendra in Thor's Hammer). Strong, decisive, mental (espceially Kendra), infuelntial and both have respect for themselves.

Movie: (Actress) I dunno ... Angelina Jolie? Jennifer Garner? something between those two. Jolie is strong, (kinda), mental, influencial .. kinda scary, In the characters she plays mostly. in real life, she may be, i dunno.
    Garner ... well, she's Alias, that's enough.

is anybody going to see Elektra?
    Movies: Sigourney Weaver, in almost anything she's done; she's sexy, seductive, articulate, intelligent, and very classy. I loved her in Galaxy Quest, Ice Storm, Dave, Alien, Aliens, and Tadpole. Great actress!

Jody Foster: Original Freaky Friday, Taxi Driver, Silence of the Lambs, Little Man Tate, The Accused, and Contact.

Geena Davis: Thelma and Louise and Long Kiss Goodbye and Accidental Tourist

Katherine O'Hara: the red haired chick, the mom, from Bettlegeuse and Home Alone

Alice Krige, The Borg Queen, First Contact and an episode of Voyager

Cate Blanchette, Galadriel, from LOR

Kirsten Dunst, from Interview w/ a Vampire and Spider-man

TV:

Gillian Anderson, Scully, from X-files

Amanda Tapping, Lt. Col. Samantha Carter, Ph.D.

Anna-Louise Plowman, Dr. Sarah Gardner/Osiris

Elizabeth Roehm, the blond chick (Assist DA) from Law and Order

Gates McFadden, Commander Beverly Crusher, M.D.

Kate Mulgrew, Captain Katheryn Janeway

Jeri Ryan, Seven of Nine
    Last edited by LordAnubis; December 31st, 2004 at 12:32 AM.

I have a lot of favorite female characters, but I'm afraid I can't really rank them. So I'm grouping them by show.

Samantha Carter (Stargate SG-1)- smartest of all listed, beautiful, kicks ass. perfection in a gal.
    Janet Fraiser (Stargate SG-1)- she was just awesome. nuff said.
    Dana Scully (The X-Files)- intellectual scientist as well.
    Lorelai Gilmore (Gilmore Girls)- spazzy, spazzy, spazzy, but fun. and with Luke, can do no wrong.
    Sydney Bristow (Alias)- tough and sassy, but i don't respect much else than the kickass factor.
    Irina Derevko (Alias)- really tough and really sassy. almost puts the kid to shame. much smarter than the daughter.
    Amy Gardner (The West Wing)- if I were to go to law school and become a lobbyist on Capitol Hill, I'd love to be as forceful, tough, and whip smart as this chick. but alas, I'm a scientist who loves to listen to politics instead of participate in it.
    CJ Cregg (The West Wing)- formidable press secretary with acting prowess to boot. the only time i've ever cried watching a TV show was when they killed off her secret service agent BF.
    Max Guevara (Dark Angel)- season one was freakin' awesome. and she was a great gal.
    Michelle Dressler (24)- awesome agent, great wife to Tony Almeida, professional, smart, sacrificing, intelligent, tough, all around great gal.
    Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager)- she was captain. she was female. and when i was in elementary school, she was my inspiration to pursue space science. that inspiration carried me pretty far, and i will always respect that.

And in books/movies:

Dr. Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway (Contact)- The ultimate role model for me. And the first time I heard of the university I'm attending now was when I read Contact. That book changed my life. Thank you, Carl Sagan, for that book. And Jodie Foster totally nailed the movie.