No announcement yet.

The Waters of Mars (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey also at the very end did that annoying robot go out of the TARDIS? Wasn't it still wet with virus water?

Did the Doc just leave it there or take it with him?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I thought this episode was brilliantly done, one of my favourites in fact. Very intelligently written.
      I loved how with the Doctor's feelings of loss and disillusionment led him to overstep that line, to have power that none should have. If he's the only Time Lord left, what's to stop him making his own rules? What's to stop him going back in time to save Rose or to go back to the Time War? I think in the same way that led to the downfall of the Time Lords from a great and noble race to how we see them in The End of Time.
      I loved how it was Adelaide, one of his own historical heroes, who makes him realise that he's gone too far - it is his actions that lead her to commit suicide to safeguard the future of humanity. Adelaide ends up being the hero of the story, not the Doctor.

i agree with that and he doctor not being the hero all the time is why i like doctor who. its like when the doctor went back in time in one of the episodes and ended up causing the disaster that kills people. i like that sometimes those with the doctor are the ones who save the day. this is also seen with adric in the old ones when he tried to save earth not knowing that it was meant to happen only for it to happen and him losing his life.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
        I completely agree with Darren's assessment!
        I know "Egomaniacal" Doctor is supposed to be scary - what annoys me is two things (er, maybe I missed the answers).
        1. Did they ever really address what the water monsters were? What were they calling out of the ice? Was the Doctor serious about the whole "Old Martian" thing??

and

2. Why the heck would he take them HOME, to their own time as well as their own place? Is that part of his newfound arrogance? The mysterious and instant reappearance of the 3 of them only causes lots and LOTS of questions. Same for Brooke - if she honestly thinks that her survival will alter her grandaughters timeline and she's willing to kill herself to resurrect it surely she's intelligent enough to realise that killing herself in HER OWN LIVING ROOM is more likely to have the opposite effect?

I dunno!
        Overall I enjoyed it, although the Doctor spent far too much time standing around being still and mournful for the first 40 mins. I liked that he walked the line towards the dark side, obviously he would lose his central appeal if he stayed there tho

Oh, and the trailer on the end for the next one - too much spoilage! I didn't need to know those people would be back Everyone know it's DT's last ep, they could afford not to show anything and would STILL have everyone flocking to it!
        yes, and I have 2 other questions:

how come the people of the Mars station didn't insist more on who was the Doctor and where he comes from? I think they were too fast in accepting that a strange man appears on the planet..

When the Doctor speaks in old Martian language, how come we actually hear martian, isn't the Tardis supposed to translate everything?

A third question: how did he transport them all at the end? I missed the scene where they all step into the Tardis..

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
          yes, and I have 2 other questions:

how come the people of the Mars station didn't insist more on who was the Doctor and where he comes from? I think they were too fast in accepting that a strange man appears on the planet..

When the Doctor speaks in old Martian language, how come we actually hear martian, isn't the Tardis supposed to translate everything?

A third question: how did he transport them all at the end? I missed the scene where they all step into the Tardis..

And I get Adelaide's anguish and suicide.....But why does the other girl freak out ? She's alive be thankful but none of them are...She just freaks off and runs into the distance.

And that annoying robot. Steps out of the TARDIS but isn't it contaminated with the Flood water?
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
            That was awesome!

Even though I was cursing the Doctor for being so high and mighty, I at the same time felt sad for him. It was just heartbreaking.
            Great writing and awesome acting by DT. Loved this episode, creepy and poignant.

ETA: What's the database the Doctor seems to be able to access in his mind? Is it just his memory that changes as the timeline changes, or is it something else?
            Last edited by maneth; 13 May 2013, 07:22 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              Great writing and awesome acting by DT. Loved this episode, creepy and poignant.

ETA: What's the database the Doctor seems to be able to access in his mind? Is it just his memory that changes as the timeline changes, or is it something else?
              The "database" as you call it, is actually the BBC website layout. It was just him remembering a news article. But essentially being a Timelord the Doctor can see and understand all variations in the timeline. He has an understanding of history and how changes can affect future events in even very subtle ways. In essence, yes he can change time but he also remembers what the timeline was before and has a knowledge of what he calls fixed points in time.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Yeah, like the death of Dr Adelaide Brooke...
                sigpic

Comment

A really amazing episode mainly due to the Doctor going dark. Excellent performance as usual from David Tennant. Adelaide was also great. She was a companion even if she didn't know it. A companion helps the Doctor. A companion tells the Doctor when he is wrong. She did that. Sadly, at the expense of her life.

I do so love the name Time Lord Victorious. I am glad they are continuing this storyline in the audio dramas, books and other medium. Also glad DT is returning to voice 10. Can't wait to buy these.

Comment

Working...
                  X