The Waters of Mars (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
    1. Did they ever really address what the water monsters were? What were they calling out of the ice? Was the Doctor serious about the whole "Old Martian" thing??
    I should think so. The Ice Warriors were from Mars, and he was theorizing that they were the ones responsible for trapping the water in a glacier. Old Martian, I imagine, is an old dialect of the Ice Warriors and it makes sense that the water would recognize it if it was the Ice Warriors who imprisoned them in the distant past.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Who are these 'Ice Warriors'?
      sigpic
      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
        They are from the old Doctor Who series

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
          They made about four appearances in old Who, lizard people from Mars who for some reason thrive in cold environments. In their first couple appearances, they were villains. In their later appearances, they were reasonable members of the galactic council (or something like that) who provided peacekeeping troops at the council's decision.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            They made about four appearances in old Who, lizard people from Mars who for some reason thrive in cold environments. In their first couple appearances, they were villains. In their later appearances, they were reasonable members of the galactic council (or something like that) who provided peacekeeping troops at the council's decision.
            Your explanations better

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              Thats the only bit that kind of annoyed me lol, that they didnt really tell us who the aliens were and what was under the ice

Other than that as i have said, good episode
              Nah, it probably would have slowed down the episode.

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
              It's not the CGI that's the problem, it's the duff scripts and the suspect acting that was the problems
              while i generally disagree, RTD said it was originally CGI monsters but they had to do a rewrite cos they realised they cant afford them.

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
              That was really the biggest problem with this episode. The entire story served no purpose but to give the Doctor the opportunity to become a megalomaniac. And while that character development was great, the rest of the story shouldn't have been given such a weak treatment in the process. The water was just some generic monster that served as the reason the team had to blow themselves up.
              I dunno - it depends on what the episode is about. Some episodes are fun alien of the week romp. Waters of Mars was an episode meant to finally unhinge the Doctor. The aliens were th mcguffin here, why waste time on them? that's not the story they were interested in telling.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                Word! Though Lindsay Duncan was wonderful. She is a great actress and it was too bad that her talent was wasted on such a bad script.
                I was actually talking about the 3 Dr Who movies there has been so far

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  while i generally disagree, RTD said it was originally CGI monsters but they had to do a rewrite cos they realised they cant afford them.
                  Again I was talking about the 3 Dr Who ovies there has been so far

Comment

Well...

1. Liked the viewing of the character's obituries at the beginning.

2. Having said that, why didn't the Doctor just go when he had the chance?

3. Flood aliens were suitably freaky.

4. In theory didn't have a problem with what the Doctor did. Let's face it he's always been a cocky git and he was doing this for the right reasons and I'll always have sympathy with someone who does something for the right reasons.

He got a little bit too cocky this time though and we'll have to see what the consequences are.

Certainly haven't seen a Who ep quite like this before - very good!
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Once in a while your favorite TV series will surprise you. I remember liking but not being blown away by The Next Doctor and being utterly disappointed by Planet Of The Dead. So I wasn't sure what to make of the next special Waters Of Mars, especially with it seemingly delayed to the point of being an afterthought to what promises to be an epic finale to the tenth Doctor era. So imagine my surprise upon finally seeing Waters Of Mars and discovering that not only was it a major improvement over the two previous specials but that here was a story featuring everything that makes Doctor Who great was in it: action, fine acting, horror and yet it being a personal tale at the same time.

David Tennant turns in his best performance since Human Nature/Family Of Blood. Here we see a tenth Doctor like we have never seen before on a roller coaster ride of emotions. We first see a Doctor thrilled by adventure as he always has before realizing he's in the wrong place at the wrong time and trying futilely to not get involved. Then we see something unexpected during an incredible eleven or twelves minutes with a Doctor who throws caution to the wind and soon learns the price of doing so. Tennant's performance throughout all this is nothing short of one word: extraordinary. It's a performance that hits all the acting notes beautifully and may well be Tennant's best performance in the role.

There's also a fine supporting cast as well. Lindsay Duncan plays base commander Adelaide Brooke, who in a way becomes a one-off companion of sorts. Yet she is far more then just that though. In just an hour she becomes a full fledged character with a back-story and a character arc as well. Brooke is a pioneer who finds herself caught up in a crisis with a man who knows what is about to happen and, in the end, will be utterly appalled by the actions he will take. Duncan plays the role well as she shares some fine scenes with Tennant during the back half of the special, especially during one of the most emotional scenes the New Series has yet served to its audience. Duncan was a perfect choice for the role and her presence helps to elevate the special's quality. There's also a good supporting cast as well in the form of base members including Peter O'Brien as Ed, Alan Ruscoe as Andy, Sharon Duncan Brewster as Maggie and Gemma Chan as Mia Bennett. Together they make a fine supporting cast.

There's also some fine work behind the camera as well. There is some fantastic make-up and effects work in regards to the villains of the special which make them, next to the stone angels from Blink, perhaps the scariest thing to have been used in the New Series, especially in the revealing of the first one which made he jump out of my seat (literally). The base is well realized both in the form of the sets interiors (including some fine location work) and the well done CGI exterior as well. There's also a really well done version of the Martian surface as well which is almost convincing, especially with the Doctor walking on it. Then there's the robot Gadget as well which is almost a character rather then a prop. Plus there's the music of Murray Gold that, especially in the last eleven or twelve minutes, shows once again the power of a Doctor Who score. To top it all off there's the ever fantastic direction of Graeme Harper who once again proves himself to be the best director on the New Series by walking the tightrope of action, emotion, horror and suspense without ever falling off. Fine work by all indeed.

Which brings us to the script. While Russel T. Davies previous collaboration with Gareth Roberts turned out to be something of a dud, his collaboration with Phil Ford proves to be among the better scripts of the New Series. Waters Of Mars takes the classic Doctor Who formula of base under siege and feeds into that formula action sequences, horror, sacrifices and the question at the heart of any time travel series: if you knew what was to happen and could change it, should you? It is that last question that occupies the Doctor throughout the special and that ultimately leads to a powerful finale that answers that question all too painfully. The script does what any great Doctor Who story should do: be exciting, horrifying and yet personal.

Waters Of Mars qualifies as one of the finest stories of the New Series. It starts with fine performances from David Tennant, Lindsay Duncan and the supporting cast. It continues on into the production values including make-up, special effects, the CGI rendering of the base, the score and more of the fantastic direction of Graeme Harper. Then there's the script from Russel T. Davies and Phil Ford that hits all the right notes of action, horror, suspense and yet remaining a personal tale as well. Waters Of Mars ranks with Human Nature/Family Of Blood, Blink and Dalek as amongst the best stories to come out of the New Series and is a fine example of what Doctor Who is at its best.

timdalton007

Comment

The plot of the episode was a bit of a letdown. Random unknown aliens being all random and unknowable, wanting to take over Earth for all of its water... even though they seem to be able to create water on their own pretty well. (get it? well? water in a well? ahaha, I'm so funny...)

There was also zero character development. We get a bit about the commander lady, but the others... I think I got more from reading their obits than I did from what was onscreen. Made it easier to cope with their deaths cuz I didn't know them well enough to care.

As for Darkside Doctor... that was awesome and creepy and disturbing. At least until they ruined it with the Ood of Christmas Future. Still, watching the Doctor go all megalomanic and Master-like was awesome, in a hide-under-the-covers kinda way.

Speaking of the Master, I know he went all crazy and evil a long, long time ago, but I can't help wondering if at least part of the reason he became what he became is because he never had any Companions. He made a point of mentioning his lack of Companionship the last time we saw him (and I'm not sure how much Lucy counts) and the Doctor's Companions have mentioned from time to time that he needs them to keep him "human," well, now we know what happens when the Doctor spends too much time on his own. *shiver*

Can't wait for the 2-part special!

[BTW, what the frak is with having two discussion threads for this? I moved my post from the other one to here since this seems to be more discussion oriented despite the title of the other thread, but seriously... grr]

Comment

Wow.
                          One of my favourite episodes.
                          Wow.

>My only complaint is about the reasoning of the aliens in wanting Earth's water.
                          >The Doctor's finally crossed the line. 'Little people', choosing to potentially unhinge all of time for his own convenience and well-being, making a companion commit suicide to undo his damage to the timeline, running through time to escape HIS fate... I'm disturbed and impressed and eagerly awaiting the xmas and new doctor... I mean, New Year specials.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

he didn't make her commit suicide, she choose to in order to preserve the timeline, she could have taken the selfish route and not done it but her grandaughter might not have manned the starship then, of course committing suicide didn't guarantee she'll still do that, a big continuity error if you ask me.

We got a brief glimpse on Children in Need of End of Time, looks quiet good.

Comment

this episode was ok. i two didn't like we didn't find out what the aliens are or what was under the ice. the doctor went a little crazy at the end.

the next episode looks good i can't wait to watch it.
                              sigpic

Comment

OMG that was brilliant.............. We just had this in Australia and oooh wow. Brilliant acting by David Tennant.

Some random thoughts below because I've watched the show a few times, and my thoughts have changed on this....

All that build up and hype over Adelaide... "The cleverest companion the Doctor has ever had" Bah.....

Spoiler:
                                And what do we get she is only in this episode and then at the end commits suicide. Wonderful. NOT.

A very dark ending, and darkish story for Dr. Who tonight. But OMG it was fun, and to see the Doctor step almost into the Dark Side..... Brilliant.........

I must admit it was rather eerie and cool to see the Doctor say "The laws of time are mine and they will obey me and that just sent chills up my spine....... It's not very Doctorish. But it is very cool.

Still don't get all the hype the BBC did over Adelaide. "cleverest companion"
                                Spoiler:
                                yet she tops herself..

I watched again. I must say I really liked the Doctor going all dark... DT was just brilliant acting that part and I wonder if that was the Doctor's true nature surfacing.

What if they threw a twist our way and had him going all dark and the Master breifly becoming like the Doctor........
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X