The Waters of Mars (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
    It's the fiftieth anniversary isn't it? I'm expecting something amazing already. Especially if Moffat is still show runner.
    Yeah, its something like that. I am also anticiapting something thats going to be awesome because if it is its 50th anniversary, then what better way to celebrate than an epid episode of Doctor Who

Moffats done some good episodes so it will probabl be good if its him, but if its someone else, hopefully they produce something epic

Maybe a movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      And I think "The Waters of Mars" works (hopefully leading into much more in "The End of Time") because it shows what he's capable of becoming without a companion. The speeches about "the laws of time will obey me" and the "Time Lord Victorious" aren't supposed to make you cheer for the super-powered hero saving the day -- they're supposed to scare the crap out of you.
      They did. I was sitting there watching, and absolutely terrified of the Doctor, and what he might do. Amazingly dark. A bit like the climax of 'Children of Earth', and for some of the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        It's been a common theme of Classic Doctor Who that a timelord who gains immortality or ultimate power becomes a vengeful God. Absolute power corrupting absolutely. The Doctor has finally been corrupted, even if that means doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

He has more in common with the Master than one would think.
        I can't green you because I've used too many (How? I've been gone for over 6 months) so have an unofficial one

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
          Maybe a movie?
          Oh God I hope not, Dr Who movies have a horrible habit of falling on their collective arse's

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
            Oh God I hope not, Dr Who movies have a horrible habit of falling on their collective arse's
            I havent seen a Doctor Who movie before so dunno what they like
            Maybe in this day and era, what with CGI and technology as they are, they could produce a really good one

Comment

I think we are definitely seeing the Doctor becoming unhinged. It also shows that the Companions he has had over the years have been more than mere appendages or hangers on. They are and have been vital for keeping the Doctor grounded. With the descent of the Doctor into megalomania it raises the question of whether we might be seeing a role reversal in the End of Time.

It is quite possible that we may see the Master trying to preserve the timeline against the Doctor gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tardis View Post
                I think we are definitely seeing the Doctor becoming unhinged. It also shows that the Companions he has had over the years have been more than mere appendages or hangers on. They are and have been vital for keeping the Doctor grounded. With the descent of the Doctor into megalomania it raises the question of whether we might be seeing a role reversal in the End of Time.

It is quite possible that we may see the Master trying to preserve the timeline against the Doctor gone mad.
                You could be right about the Master and I think that would be interesting to see.

I agree with you about the companions being important in keeping the Doctor Timelord sane, because without a companion, you can definately see a different side to him. He nearly lost it without a companion in Runaway Bride but Donna bought him back. We may have only seen the beginning of what he is now capable off in his new frame of mind and I think End of Time will be a very good, interesting episode and a brilliant finale for David Tennant...

Comment

Originally posted by Tardis View Post

I'd love that! A "good" Master.

Comment

I completely agree with Darren's assessment!
                    I know "Egomaniacal" Doctor is supposed to be scary - what annoys me is two things (er, maybe I missed the answers).
                    1. Did they ever really address what the water monsters were? What were they calling out of the ice? Was the Doctor serious about the whole "Old Martian" thing??

and

2. Why the heck would he take them HOME, to their own time as well as their own place? Is that part of his newfound arrogance? The mysterious and instant reappearance of the 3 of them only causes lots and LOTS of questions. Same for Brooke - if she honestly thinks that her survival will alter her grandaughters timeline and she's willing to kill herself to resurrect it surely she's intelligent enough to realise that killing herself in HER OWN LIVING ROOM is more likely to have the opposite effect?

I dunno!
                    Overall I enjoyed it, although the Doctor spent far too much time standing around being still and mournful for the first 40 mins. I liked that he walked the line towards the dark side, obviously he would lose his central appeal if he stayed there tho

Oh, and the trailer on the end for the next one - too much spoilage! I didn't need to know those people would be back Everyone know it's DT's last ep, they could afford not to show anything and would STILL have everyone flocking to it!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
                      I completely agree with Darren's assessment!
                      I know "Egomaniacal" Doctor is supposed to be scary - what annoys me is two things (er, maybe I missed the answers).
                      1. Did they ever really address what the water monsters were? What were they calling out of the ice? Was the Doctor serious about the whole "Old Martian" thing??
                      and

2. Why the heck would he take them HOME, to their own time as well as their own place? Is that part of his newfound arrogance? The mysterious and instant reappearance of the 3 of them only causes lots and LOTS of questions. Same for Brooke - if she honestly thinks that her survival will alter her grandaughters timeline and she's willing to kill herself to resurrect it surely she's intelligent enough to realise that killing herself in HER OWN LIVING ROOM is more likely to have the opposite effect?

I dunno!
                      Overall I enjoyed it, although the Doctor spent far too much time standing around being still and mournful for the first 40 mins. I liked that he walked the line towards the dark side, obviously he would lose his central appeal if he stayed there tho

Oh, and the trailer on the end for the next one - too much spoilage! I didn't need to know those people would be back Everyone know it's DT's last ep, they could afford not to show anything and would STILL have everyone flocking to it!
                      Thats the only bit that kind of annoyed me lol, that they didnt really tell us who the aliens were and what was under the ice

Other than that as i have said, good episode

Comment

Thats the only bit that kind of annoyed me lol, that they didnt really tell us who the aliens were and what was under the ice

Other than that as i have said, good episode
                        That's because realistically, the water aliens were unimportant.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yeah suppose
                          Would have been nice to know though

Comment

I havent seen a Doctor Who movie before so dunno what they like
                            Maybe in this day and era, what with CGI and technology as they are, they could produce a really good one
                            It's not the CGI that's the problem, it's the duff scripts and the suspect acting that was the problems

Comment

That was really the biggest problem with this episode. The entire story served no purpose but to give the Doctor the opportunity to become a megalomaniac. And while that character development was great, the rest of the story shouldn't have been given such a weak treatment in the process. The water was just some generic monster that served as the reason the team had to blow themselves up.
                              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                                It's not the CGI that's the problem, it's the duff scripts and the suspect acting that was the problems
                                Word! Though Lindsay Duncan was wonderful. She is a great actress and it was too bad that her talent was wasted on such a bad script.
                                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                X