X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Waters of Mars (2009)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SPECIAL:
    THE WATERS OF MARS

The Doctor visits an Earth base on the surface of Mars, where a water-based creature is terrorizing the colonists.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:12 PM.

Well that was all right. It seemed long on set up and the climax was rushed. The solution was similar to what i was expecting; he TARDISes everyone off. Except I was expecting him to just not teleport them back to Earth; take them anywhere else, anytime and people never hear of them again and all the news will be the same as if They actually died.

Still isn't their an evil future version of The Doctor? The Valeyard? Tennat was getting pretty dark and close to that at the end.

The End Of Time Preview looked naff to me. Donna and the Master return. Bleh.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

After a ridiculously slow first quarter the episode was everything we were promised. This almost makes up for the travesty that was Planet of the Dead. I utterly loved it though as Crazedwraith says, the ending was kinda obvious and he could have done it without messing up time by taking them somewhere other than home.

Comment

In my opinion, it wasnt what they hyped it up to be as one of the scariest Doctor Who episodes

Overall it was still quite a good episode but I do agree it felt a bit rushed

The bit where it explained why she wasnt killed by the Dalek was well explained, because it too probably realised it couldnt change time.

Also, I kind of predicted the ending but because of spoilers but didnt expect the Doctor to get so full off himself with the whole 'Im the last one left so i can make the rules'. It seemed quite out of character for him, but Im glad he realised what he had done.

I also agree with Crazedwraith that he could have taken them somewhere else so her daughter still thought she was dead.

Im going to rewatch it on iplayer later because i was eating my dinner while watching it so didnt give it my full attention. Ill probably add to this after I rewatched it.

End Of Time looks quite good
        Last edited by Teddybrown; 15 November 2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I thought the Dalek thing was silly. I mean the Dalek plan at the time was to wipe out the entire universe; all universes in fact. So if that Dalek can't even kill a little girl because time says so. How are you supposed to wipe out reality?

And how come these Future people have never heard of The Doctor? despite saving the Earth several bazillion times.

Edit: Sorry Teddybrown but its a persnal bugbear of mine: See my username? See the singular capital letter? I know its petty but still.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Cos the Doctor is like super top secret...... only those who need to know about him know about him... he was hardly on the evening news after each time...

and that was awesome...
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
              I thought the Dalek thing was silly. I mean the Dalek plan at the time was to wipe out the entire universe; all universes in fact. So if that Dalek can't even kill a little girl because time says so. How are you supposed to wipe out reality?

And how come these Future people have never heard of The Doctor? despite saving the Earth several bazillion times.

Edit: Sorry Teddybrown but its a persnal bugbear of mine: See my username? See the singular capital letter? I know its petty but still.
              Sorry Crazedwraith, Ill edit it in my other post too

That Dalek was probably sensible, Davros was intent on destroying the universe lol

And maybe the future people just wernt told about him?? I dunno, maybe they just forgot about him seeing as they were on Mars for 2 years?

Comment

More GOD OF TIME Doctor! Hell yeah!

Time screwed the Timelords. Time for the Timelord to screw Time.

... time timey time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                  More GOD OF TIME Doctor! Hell yeah!

Time screwed the Timelords. Time for the Timelord to screw Time.

... time timey time.
                  I didnt like this version of the Doctor, well I thought it was interesting, but preferred him as he was

He seemed a bit full off himself and it was a bit too out of character for me

But Im glad he realised what he had done and the consequences it would have.

I wonder if hes going to try and stop it because of the bit at the end in the Tardis

Comment

The special was okay, at least it was better than Planet of the Dead and that idiotic Cybermen thing some time ago.

Ending, well, was obvious, the same as the Pompey episode. I had hoped he had walked away while hearing the people inside die, but I guess that's too dark for Doctor Who.

I liked the "Time Lord Victorious" speech at the end; a darker Doctor, just what we needed. I also liked the Captain's comments on the Doctor's arrogance, finally someone who says something about his behavior and actually manages to bruise his ego. Now lets hope he goes insane and someone has to stop him for a change.
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      I didnt like this version of the Doctor, well I thought it was interesting, but preferred him as he was

He seemed a bit full off himself and it was a bit too out of character for me

But Im glad he realised what he had done and the consequences it would have.

I wonder if hes going to try and stop it because of the bit at the end in the Tardis
                      To be fair, he's been told he's destined to die, if I were told that, I'd do my best to screw time over and prevent my death.

Also, he did rescue two people, and allowed Earth to realise why the base had to be destroyed.

What I want to know, is how the two survivers told their superiors/ the press how they escaped from Mars without their rocket. A mysterious man with a blue policebox turns up and whisked them away?

Comment

What episode is he told he is going to die? I cant remember

But screwing up time doesnt sound like the Doctor if you know what I mean

And the survivors will probably not be believed, but they will probably have to report to UNIT or someone like that

But rescuing two people may have jeapodised (dunno how thats spelt) the whole planet

What I want to know is what was under the ice...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                          What episode is he told he is going to die? I cant remember
                          Planet of the Ood, I think? They said something along those lines.

But screwing up time doesnt sound like the Doctor if you know what I mean

But rescuing two people may have jeapodised (dunno how thats spelt) the whole planet
                          Doesn't the Doctor usually rescue people from time, when they're under dire circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                            Planet of the Ood, I think? They said something along those lines.
                            Thanks. Going to have to rewatch that

Doesn't the Doctor usually rescue people from time, when they're under dire circumstances?
                            But he said what happened on Mars was fixed. I dont think the other events were so fixed because the people who died on Mars were fixed and if they didnt die, the whole future would be changed eg as the Doctor said in the episode, that womans grand daughter wouldnt have gone to the stars looking for her

Comment

I quite enjoyed this one, it did take time to get going but in the end it was good, damn creepy, made me think twice about having a bath.

Ok here goes

Bloody hell hasn't Shane from Neighbours got old

What was the point of WALLE Gadget apart from being a get out clause

God save me from American gadget geek boys

...Ooh Top Gear... sorry got sidetracked...Oooh an Aston Martin

A dark Doctor, a Doctor who believed he was a God and A Doctor who finally realised what he'd done and got told he wasn't all that, was worth the wait.

as for next time bring it on

Comment

Working...
                              X