Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKay's Citrus Allergy...

Does anyone else have this?

I'm wondering because, well, I do... People always tell me it's a really weird allergy and some told me you can't be allergic to oranges (which is a really ridiculous statement, when you consider some of the other things people are allergic to)... It always made me laugh that McKay had it too. I was like "HA! SEE?!"

Also, whenever I annoy my best friend, she pulls out an imaginary lemon and says, "I keep one on me at all times, just in case." I totally didn't get that until I became a Stargate fan
    hearts

I have no allegies to speak of, but I would be bummed if i had a citrus allergy. I love Oranges... lol!!

Though i always found it funny how people tormented McKay with the lemon thing. and he would have nightmares about lemons.... lol!!

Poor poor McKay
    sigpic

Comment

I hate how they down played Rodney's allergy to citrus.

It seemed to me that the writers almost wanted you to believe that Rodney is full of crap and just trying to get attention. Just one more way to make Rodney out to be a drama queen even more so than usual and or to be the "Comic Relief".

Just took at the Pegasus Project.
      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
        I hate how they down played Rodney's allergy to citrus.

It seemed to me that the writers almost wanted you to believe that Rodney is full of crap and just trying to get attention. Just one more way to make Rodney out to be a drama queen even more so than usual and or to be the "Comic Relief".

Just took at the Pegasus Project.
        I thought that too. Could have been interesting if this was the one time he was being completely honest - could also have been an interesting basis for a story. Also, SG-1's Moebius, where the alternate McKay loves lemon chicken...bizarre.

So, does McKay carry an epipen or similar with him just in case? What are the real life effects of a citrus allergy? Is this the "face and throat swelling, needs adrenaline shot in a matter of seconds" kind of allergy, or the "makes me sneeze and itch" kind of allergy? Would it be feasible for someone with a condition like that to even be allowed offworld, where all sorts of alien foods, plants or such could trigger it?
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

He says that he's "deathly allergic" to citrus, but in McKay terminology, that could mean that he gets a rash.

Comment

See what I mean....

I bet if anyone OTHER than Rodney said he had an allergy to ANYTHING, EVERYONE would be so careful and considerate of their needs.

What does Rodney get? His friend gives out the one thing that Rodney IS allergic to as a lame joke! with a dash of derision and doubt..

Comment

Although it's probably not the case with McKay, citrus fruits are a fairly common trigger for migraines.

Poor McKay. The lemon thing must be his penance for being so aggravating at times. I'd hate to give up lemonade, lemon bars, lemon chicken, and any other number of lemon-y foods.

Comment

Mt 12 yr old son is allergic to citrus. His mouth and lips break out in blisters and his face gets a horrid red rash over it. Needless to say he's only ever tried an actual orange once. He's had this reaction three times though, first time he tried an orange then when they made fruit salad at school and the silly person making in knew he couldn't eat citrus but thought soaking the apple in lemon juice didn't count. The last time was from trying some guacamole at a party (lemon juice was the culprit again)

It can be a very serious allergy and nothing to poke fun at.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                  Mt 12 yr old son is allergic to citrus. His mouth and lips break out in blisters and his face gets a horrid red rash over it. Needless to say he's only ever tried an actual orange once. He's had this reaction three times though, first time he tried an orange then when they made fruit salad at school and the silly person making in knew he couldn't eat citrus but thought soaking the apple in lemon juice didn't count. The last time was from trying some guacamole at a party (lemon juice was the culprit again)

Wow, never knew it was so bad - although I don't think anyone's making fun of the allergy itself or all sufferers, just McKay (as in, was he exaggerating the 'one drop of lemon juice and I could die' thing to get attention?). But still, I for one am making a note.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

It is actually entirely plausible ! There is a chemical occurring in citrus to which some people are allergic .
                    Hey, people can even be allergic to all the chemicals found in tap water !!!
                    Tomatoes, cucumbers...
                    I'm nut, especially peanuts, kiwi fruit... other things ... myself !
                    So it is not a load of Quatsch/dren in reality .

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      Wow, never knew it was so bad - although I don't think anyone's making fun of the allergy itself or all sufferers, just McKay (as in, was he exaggerating the 'one drop of lemon juice and I could die' thing to get attention?). But still, I for one am making a note.
                      Not really.... Less than the tiniest crumb of peanut and I can die !!!! Even if something says "may contain trace of ...." ... But I risk it !!!
                      Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                      My 12 yr old son is allergic to citrus. His mouth and lips break out in blisters and his face gets a horrid red rash over it. Needless to say he's only ever tried an actual orange once. He's had this reaction three times though, first time he tried an orange then when they made fruit salad at school and the silly person making in knew he couldn't eat citrus but thought soaking the apple in lemon juice didn't count. The last time was from trying some guacamole at a party (lemon juice was the culprit again)

Terrible ! I understand his pain
                      (And people can be so stupid !!!)
                      You have to be so careful... then people laugh at you or think you're joking, or think that you want it!!!!

Does he have an epipen? I only got one last year, I should have had one sooner ..... now I have three !

Does have an epipen ?

EDIT: Lemonade rarely has lemon
                      I have to be careful with nuts in hair wash, same with citrus !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                        Not really.... Less than the tiniest crumb of peanut and I can die !!!! Even if something says "may contain trace of ...." ... But I risk it !!!

Terrible ! I understand his pain
                        (And people can be so stupid !!!)
                        You have to be so careful... then people laugh at you or think you're joking, or think that you want it!!!!

Does he have an epipen? I only got one last year, I should have had one sooner ..... now I have three !

Does have an epipen ?

EDIT: Lemonade rarely has lemon
                        I have to be careful with nuts in hair wash, same with citrus !!!!
                        yep he has two epipens, one at home and one he carries with him. And yeah, lemonade is mostly pretend, very few brands have lemon in it at all.

Oh and I bought a new brand of toothpast a few months back, lucky my boy reads lables even more then i do because that particular brand despite being mint flavoured had lemon listed in the ingredients.

Comment

I'm also slighty allergic to lemons or some citrus fruits, it's not that bad, but I'm trying to avoid lemons in large doses. Mostly I get a sore throat and if the allergic reaction is stronger I have trouble breathing. I remember when I was 10 or so I had a really bad reaction on something that contained lemon and I was hardly able to breath and it was really bad, but since then nothing major happened... but I'm not afraid of lemons or other kinds of citrus, I just respect them and let them live as long as they don't bother me

Comment

Have ANY of YOUR friends or family made fun of your allergy or called you a liar or hinted that you are being melodramatic because..oh you don't wanna die?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                              Have ANY of YOUR friends or family made fun of your allergy or called you a liar or hinted that you are being melodramatic because..oh you don't wanna die?
                              Thats a unfair comparrassion unless we are arrogant and whinny like McKay. He breeds his own hostility
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X