McKay's Citrus Allergy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    Maybe if there was a female writer for the show Rodney would have gotten some sympathy and understanding from his friends and colleagues instead of jokes at his expense. I can't tell you how much I hated Mitchell for that lemon threat!

It was pointed out to me by a friend that all the SGA writers are guys, something I hadn't realized before.
    Hi RIG! I totally agree with you there. Whump analysis can be handy sometimes
    Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
    *laughs*

Seriously??

I..I....just because Rodney is a jerk or is rude dosen't diminish the fact that that he has a serious allergy.

"Well this guy is an A-hole so he dosen't deserve to be listened to" or "Well this guy is sooo nice I believe he REALLY *is* allergic to peas, so let's just take him at his word" *eyeroll* that is utter Horse- Hockey.

In life there is no nice guy/A-hole when it comes to injuries or medical conditions..You have an allergy and people believe you. *period* And if they don't.. then *they* are the A-holes regardless of how much of an A-hole you are..

*laughs*

I can just see it...Rodney is in the mess hall and it is morning and someone trips over a chair leg and douses Rodney with the rest of their O.J and Rodney breaks out in blisters and some of the juice goes in his mouth and his throat closes up and is slumped over and is slowly dying...but because he is a jerk.......no one has an epi-pen, cause they don't believe he has an allergy to citrus, just because he is a melodramatic, over the top whining, arrogant jerk........?

"Seriously?"
    *claps* true true (I've read that OJ scenario quite a few times in fanfic land )

But alas, Rodney's allergy was yet another way for his pain to be turned into attempted comedy by TPTB (see also: Phantoms, Sateda, The Eye...) It's like he's treated as being less than human, just for laughs. I don't find him rude anyway, just honest, which is a nice change *thunk* oops
    Last edited by x Varda x; 19 November 2009, 03:27 AM.
    McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

I guess I am just confused as to WHY the way Rodney acts has anything to do with the validity of his medical condition.
      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

would u take anyone seriously if they always start to freak out saying there going to die.
        sigpic

Comment

I guess I am just confused as to WHY the way Rodney acts has anything to do with the validity of his medical condition.
          Your confusing validity with sympathy
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

*wonders off shaking my head*

Comment

Originally posted by jwgrlrrajn View Post
              He says that he's "deathly allergic" to citrus, but in McKay terminology, that could mean that he gets a rash.

So you are saying that just because Rodney complains, and is arrogant and is melodramatic that he dosen't deserve to be taken seriously about his allergy?

Like I said before if it was John that had the allergy everyone would just say "OK" and they would break their neck to make sure that he'd be okay.
              I never thought it was real...if it was...I am sure no doctor would allow Sheppard or anyone else,to threaten him with a lemon....I think it was simply mckay's over-exaggeration. WE SAW NO REAL EVIDENCE OF IT!!!! He never was in the infirmary due to it, never was seen with an epipen...etc.... It was all in his head, IMHO of course.

As to real allergies...my better half has serious problems witha food additive called MSG (used as a salt substitute and as a meat tenderizer) so I have gotten used to checking all labels for it. If it is paired with chicken the poor man gets seriously ill. I have had to learn to make things from scratch (my own versions of campbell's "cream of soups"...most contain msg) and yes it can be a challenge, but you do what you have to do. Unlike mckay, hubby only mentions the msg allergy when eating out... not a constant thing. (although I do joke occassionally that I would only have to make fried chicken with msg instead of salt to "off him"....yep gallows humor I know! )

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                Hmm, not really buying that TBH.

Way back in the mists of time (i.e. when I was still at school) I used to know a guy who was violently (read: fatally) allergic to peanuts, even the most minute trace. Carried an epipen at all times in case of anaphylactic shock, had to eat from a short list of safe foods, the works. He was also a despicable, immeasurably unpleasant $%!£ - but that doesn't mean we didn't respect the fact that a foodstuff could kill him or wouldn't have helped him in an emergency. We didn't even treat his allergy as anything other than deadly serious, no matter how much of a [insert severe profanity or profanities of choice] he was. Believe me, if he and McKay were side by side, Rodney would be like a saint in comparison.

Now, I appreciate that boarding school and Pegasus are very different locations with very different populations. One is an incredibly hostile environment filled with antagonistic personalities, hardships and misery, the other's the Pegasus galaxy..

Agreed. I can only think that the writers were intending McKay's allergy to be something blown vastly out of proportion, and the other characters are all too aware of this. If it was a real and severe allergy, I can't imagine anybody would treat it the way it is treated in SGA. Okay, it isn't real life, but still...
                Well said, good example. I think a citrus allergy isn't taken as seriously as something like a peanut allergy since many people have never heard of it and there aren't PSAs and school bans on it. I knew a girl in high school who had a citrus allergy and it was serious stuff. People wouldn't even east citrusy things around her.

As for McKay, beyond his grating personality, he is a hypochondriac about other things that aren't his citrus allergy, although that could be where it all started. Sometimes when parents find out their kids have food allergies, they go mental and the kid can pick up those justified fears and develop unjustified ones about other things. So there's McKay in a nutshell.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
                  Hi RIG!
                  Howdy Varda!

I totally agree with you there. Whump analysis can be handy sometimes
                  Yes, it certainly can.

*claps* true true (I've read that OJ scenario quite a few times in fanfic land )
                  *claps along with Varda*

But alas, Rodney's allergy was yet another way for his pain to be turned into attempted comedy by TPTB (see also: Phantoms, Sateda, The Eye...)
                  TPTB = male writers ...UGH!

It's like he's treated as being less than human, just for laughs. I don't find him rude anyway, just honest, which is a nice change *thunk* oops
                  Agreed. He's not afraid to speak his mind, an admirable trait IMHO.

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                  I never thought it was real...if it was...I am sure no doctor would allow Sheppard or anyone else,to threaten him with a lemon....I think it was simply mckay's over-exaggeration. WE SAW NO REAL EVIDENCE OF IT!!!! He never was in the infirmary due to it, never was seen with an epipen...etc.... It was all in his head, IMHO of course.
                  If a woman had written a few episodes we sure would have seen it. And besides, Rodney mentioned it way back in SG1's 48 Hours so IT'S CANNON and therefore real, IMHO of course.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME.

Comment

I honestly don't understand what everyone's big deal is. We all know that McKay comes up with his best solutions under the threat of impending death, we know it, most of the Atlantis Expedition knows it, even Todd knows it. The lemon was used as a way for McKay to take the threat seriously while providing comedy for the viewers. I didn't see this kind of outrage when Todd threatened to feed on McKay if he didn't complete his project in time.

Comment

I'm not talking about the Pegasus Project. Although I tend to believe that the lemon was used as an in joke between John and Rodney.

I'm talking about his allergy in general.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                        <snipped for space>

If a woman had written a few episodes we sure would have seen it. And besides, Rodney mentioned it way back in SG1's 48 Hours so IT'S CANNON and therefore real, IMHO of course.
                        He only emntioned it so the fact that rodney CLAIMS he has a citrus allergy is cannon, but we haven't actually SEEN it. I will beg to differ and say I, me personally only, do not consider his allergy to be canon.

Comment

He only emntioned it so the fact that rodney CLAIMS he has a citrus allergy is cannon, but we haven't actually SEEN it.* I will beg to differ and say I, me personally only, do not consider his allergy to be canon.
                          You don't get to decide canon.Maybe fanon
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

He only emntioned it so the fact that rodney CLAIMS he has a citrus allergy is cannon, but we haven't actually SEEN it. I will beg to differ and say I, me personally only, do not consider his allergy to be canon.
                            I consider it to be canon, but I think that Rodney is just making it seem worse that it really is. He could just get a rash, but since McKay is such a hypocondriach he believes that he's dying.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well there you go, we have a perfect subplot to focus on during Stargate: Extinction.

Comment

wow old thread, dah well. I rewatch the show a ton and saw something that made me ask this very question, so WAKE UP THREAD!!! lol

when we first meet him he declines lemon chicken with carter
                                however
                                in the alternate timeline, when sg1 uses the gate ship 1 timeship and went back changing the revolt and ra took the gate, he gleefully accepts lemon chicken, again with carter.

since it wasn’t an alternate universe but just timeline he should still have the allergy. and in both cases he was with the attractive carter so if he was taking it to not appear weak he would have done so before as well.

seems to give credence to an exaggerated view of an allergy and not a true deathly allergy

Comment

Working...
                                X