Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default McKay's Citrus Allergy...

Does anyone else have this?

I'm wondering because, well, I do... People always tell me it's a really weird allergy and some told me you can't be allergic to oranges (which is a really ridiculous statement, when you consider some of the other things people are allergic to)... It always made me laugh that McKay had it too. I was like "HA! SEE?!"

Also, whenever I annoy my best friend, she pulls out an imaginary lemon and says, "I keep one on me at all times, just in case." I totally didn't get that until I became a Stargate fan
    hearts

Stalking the streets with Jack the Ripper

Default Re: McKay's Citrus Allergy...

I have no allegies to speak of, but I would be bummed if i had a citrus allergy. I love Oranges... lol!!

Though i always found it funny how people tormented McKay with the lemon thing. and he would have nightmares about lemons.... lol!!

Poor poor McKay

I hate how they down played Rodney's allergy to citrus.

It seemed to me that the writers almost wanted you to believe that Rodney is full of crap and just trying to get attention. Just one more way to make Rodney out to be a drama queen even more so than usual and or to be the "Comic Relief".

Just took at the Pegasus Project.
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Quote Originally Posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post

It seemed to me that the writers almost wanted you to believe that Rodney is full of crap and just trying to get attention. Just one more way to make Rodney out to be a drama queen even more so than usual and or to be the "Comic Relief".

I thought that too. Could have been interesting if this was the one time he was being completely honest - could also have been an interesting basis for a story. Also, SG-1's Moebius, where the alternate McKay loves lemon chicken...bizarre.

So, does McKay carry an epipen or similar with him just in case? What are the real life effects of a citrus allergy? Is this the "face and throat swelling, needs adrenaline shot in a matter of seconds" kind of allergy, or the "makes me sneeze and itch" kind of allergy? Would it be feasible for someone with a condition like that to even be allowed offworld, where all sorts of alien foods, plants or such could trigger it?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Chief Master Sergeant jwgrlrrajn's Avatar

He says that he's "deathly allergic" to citrus, but in McKay terminology, that could mean that he gets a rash.

See what I mean....

I bet if anyone OTHER than Rodney said he had an allergy to ANYTHING, EVERYONE would be so careful and considerate of their needs.

What does Rodney get? His friend gives out the one thing that Rodney IS allergic to as a lame joke! with a dash of derision and doubt..

Although it's probably not the case with McKay, citrus fruits are a fairly common trigger for migraines.

Poor McKay. The lemon thing must be his penance for being so aggravating at times. I'd hate to give up lemonade, lemon bars, lemon chicken, and any other number of lemon-y foods.

Second Lieutenant

Mt 12 yr old son is allergic to citrus. His mouth and lips break out in blisters and his face gets a horrid red rash over it. Needless to say he's only ever tried an actual orange once. He's had this reaction three times though, first time he tried an orange then when they made fruit salad at school and the silly person making in knew he couldn't eat citrus but thought soaking the apple in lemon juice didn't count. The last time was from trying some guacamole at a party (lemon juice was the culprit again)

It can be a very serious allergy and nothing to poke fun at.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvit View Post
    Mt 12 yr old son is allergic to citrus. His mouth and lips break out in blisters and his face gets a horrid red rash over it. Needless to say he's only ever tried an actual orange once. He's had this reaction three times though, first time he tried an orange then when they made fruit salad at school and the silly person making in knew he couldn't eat citrus but thought soaking the apple in lemon juice didn't count. The last time was from trying some guacamole at a party (lemon juice was the culprit again)

Wow, never knew it was so bad - although I don't think anyone's making fun of the allergy itself or all sufferers, just McKay (as in, was he exaggerating the 'one drop of lemon juice and I could die' thing to get attention?). But still, I for one am making a note.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

It is actually entirely plausible ! There is a chemical occurring in citrus to which some people are allergic .
    Hey, people can even be allergic to all the chemicals found in tap water !!!
    Tomatoes, cucumbers...
    I'm nut, especially peanuts, kiwi fruit... other things ... myself !
    So it is not a load of Quatsch/dren in reality .

Quote Originally Posted by Sealurk View Post
    Wow, never knew it was so bad - although I don't think anyone's making fun of the allergy itself or all sufferers, just McKay (as in, was he exaggerating the 'one drop of lemon juice and I could die' thing to get attention?). But still, I for one am making a note.
    Not really.... Less than the tiniest crumb of peanut and I can die !!!! Even if something says "may contain trace of ...." ... But I risk it !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvit View Post
    My 12 yr old son is allergic to citrus. His mouth and lips break out in blisters and his face gets a horrid red rash over it. Needless to say he's only ever tried an actual orange once. He's had this reaction three times though, first time he tried an orange then when they made fruit salad at school and the silly person making in knew he couldn't eat citrus but thought soaking the apple in lemon juice didn't count. The last time was from trying some guacamole at a party (lemon juice was the culprit again)

Terrible ! I understand his pain
    (And people can be so stupid !!!)
    You have to be so careful... then people laugh at you or think you're joking, or think that you want it!!!!

Does he have an epipen? I only got one last year, I should have had one sooner ..... now I have three !

Does have an epipen ?

EDIT: Lemonade rarely has lemon
    I have to be careful with nuts in hair wash, same with citrus !!!!

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
    Not really.... Less than the tiniest crumb of peanut and I can die !!!! Even if something says "may contain trace of ...." ... But I risk it !!!

Terrible ! I understand his pain
    (And people can be so stupid !!!)
    You have to be so careful... then people laugh at you or think you're joking, or think that you want it!!!!

Does he have an epipen? I only got one last year, I should have had one sooner ..... now I have three !

Does have an epipen ?

EDIT: Lemonade rarely has lemon
    I have to be careful with nuts in hair wash, same with citrus !!!!
    yep he has two epipens, one at home and one he carries with him. And yeah, lemonade is mostly pretend, very few brands have lemon in it at all.

Oh and I bought a new brand of toothpast a few months back, lucky my boy reads lables even more then i do because that particular brand despite being mint flavoured had lemon listed in the ingredients.

I'm also slighty allergic to lemons or some citrus fruits, it's not that bad, but I'm trying to avoid lemons in large doses. Mostly I get a sore throat and if the allergic reaction is stronger I have trouble breathing. I remember when I was 10 or so I had a really bad reaction on something that contained lemon and I was hardly able to breath and it was really bad, but since then nothing major happened... but I'm not afraid of lemons or other kinds of citrus, I just respect them and let them live as long as they don't bother me

Have ANY of YOUR friends or family made fun of your allergy or called you a liar or hinted that you are being melodramatic because..oh you don't wanna die?

Have ANY of YOUR friends or family made fun of your allergy or called you a liar or hinted that you are being melodramatic because..oh you don't wanna die?
    Thats a unfair comparrassion unless we are arrogant and whinny like McKay. He breeds his own hostility
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Lighten up. It was funny, okay?

Yeah, actually, I will bet some have. My father and family always thought this about my peanut allergy .... ....

Maybe they were trying to hint at the audience's stupidity . "Never underestimate your audience".. but many people in the audience assume things such as his allergy being a joke !

Yeah, my mother never checks things or she says she does but doesn't ... I never trust anything !!! Evil toothpaste !!!!
    Is nowhere near as arrogant tor whinny as some other characters ... eg Kavanaugh ! I can't be bothered tolearn his name properly.... !

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Thats a unfair comparrassion unless we are arrogant and whinny like McKay. He breeds his own hostility
    So you are saying that just because Rodney complains, and is arrogant and is melodramatic that he dosen't deserve to be taken seriously about his allergy?

Like I said before if it was John that had the allergy everyone would just say "OK" and they would break their neck to make sure that he'd be okay.

So you are saying that just because Rodney complains, and is arrogant and is melodramatic that he dosen't deserve to be taken seriously about his allergy?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

See what I mean....

I bet if anyone OTHER than Rodney said he had an allergy to ANYTHING, EVERYONE would be so careful and considerate of their needs.

What does Rodney get? His friend gives out the one thing that Rodney IS allergic to as a lame joke! with a dash of derision and doubt..
    Like I said before if it was John that had the allergy everyone would just say "OK" and they would break their neck to make sure that he'd be okay.
    I agree with everything you've said here! I was soooo hoping for an episode where he has an allergic reaction just put everyone in their place.

Maybe if there was a female writer for the show Rodney would have gotten some sympathy and understanding from his friends and colleagues instead of jokes at his expense. I can't tell you how much I hated Mitchell for that lemon threat!

It was pointed out to me by a friend that all the SGA writers are guys, something I hadn't realized before.

Coincidentally, David Hewlett is allergic to pineapples.

Sig by ME.