Greer the mutineer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greer the mutineer

Greer tried to persuade Scott to let him out of that room, thus disobeying Telford's orders. Surely that counts as mutiny as much what Spencer did during the lottery.

I hope people aren't letting this go cos it was St Ronald of Greer going against Telford

Originally posted by Sgt Detritus View Post
    I hope people aren't letting this go cos it was
    St Ronald of Greer going against Telford
    Pretty much this. Greer is seen as more of a protagonist than Telford, who's played in less of a postive light. Thus, the audience is generally inclined to favour him and support his actions, though they may be questionable.

Comment

I'm quite confident that it'll just slide and not be mentioned again. For all his faults, Scott doesn't seem the type to snitch on people for idle complaining. And besides that, Young doesn't care for Telford's command decisions.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

At least we're pretty confident Greer will never mutiny against Young...

And that's probably an important thing to note.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

On what charge was Greer held by Telford?

His Commanding Officer dropped the charges and let him out when Icarus Base was attacked, ending the legal proceedings against him, right?

Was Telford illegally detaining a valuable resource because of a personal grudge? Can't be. He's too professional for that...

Comment

Telford is the officer who was assaulted, it's up to him whether or not to drop the charges. Young let him out because the base was under attack and they needed all the able-bodied soldiers they could muster. Plus, assault isn't a crime punishable by death--which is exactly what would've happened if he'd been left in that room on Icarus.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Greer is shown to not have a lot of respect for the chain of command. Maybe respect (of the chain of command) for him is something to be earn which shouldn't go well in a army environment.

In one episode, it takes everything to Scott for having him put its weapon down from Rush's ass. In water, TJ doesn't have confidence in him respecting her order "not to shot" enough to have him stay around while she tries to trap the desert aliens. She ask him to leave. And obviously he punched Telford, his superior officer, for some reason.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Life isn't black and white. Yes he was trying to mutiny to some degree, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

Comment

I think the whole point of that scene, and parts of the episode as a whole, was to question what right Earth had to dictate to them in these extreme circumstances? Young was commander of Icarus base, out ranking Telford who was assigned to lead the mission through the gate to the 9th chevron address - but that's not what happened in the end. Young is the de facto commander of the Destiny mission. Having another person suddenly show up and state I'm in command without anyway to verify that and then have them institute a life and death plan without permission of those being placed at risk ... is asking for mutiny. The situation is outside the normal constraints of a military command structure. Young's answer to O'Neill in the beginning that he will take his orders 'under advisement' constitutes the same thing - it's a statement recognizing that they are on their own and demanding the right to make their own decisions. Young's briefing at the end fairly well cements that idea.

Just my two cents

Comment

In a way, Telford is the bad guy in the show. So it makes sense to let what Greer said slide, plus I wouldn't listen to Telford either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                      Pretty much this. Greer is seen as more of a protagonist than Telford, who's played in less of a postive light. Thus, the audience is generally inclined to favour him and support his actions, though they may be questionable.
                      Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                      At least we're pretty confident Greer will never mutiny against Young...

And that's probably an important thing to note.
                      Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      In a way, Telford is the bad guy in the show. So it makes sense to let what Greer said slide, plus I wouldn't listen to Telford either.
                      Greer was going against Telford the Bad Guy so any mutinous behaviour is good

Spencer was going against Young the Good Guy so he's the scum of the earth

Does that about sum it up??

Comment

Yeah, pretty much.
                        sigpic

Comment

Greer tried to persuade Scott to let him out of that room, thus disobeying Telford's orders. Surely that counts as mutiny as much what Spencer did during the lottery.
                          That’s pushing the definition of what counts as mutiny to nearly the breaking point. Spencer was trying to incite violence against both his commander and his fellow soldiers, (something for which, I have to note, he still hasn’t been punished for beyond Greer’s hook, even when added to his hoarding activities, which is why I have questions regarding Young’s leadership). Greer kept his comments limited to a private conversation with his direct superior, and he never asked Scott to actually take out the guards or disobey orders, he merely made his case that locking him up indefinitely aboard the Destiny isn’t a sane option. Something Scott clearly agrees with but was unable to think of a way to convince Telford of.

Greer did cut closer to the line when he mentioned cutting off the stones contact to bring Young back, but Scott shut him down from that line quickly.

In any case, I don’t see how trying to convince your direct superior to be your advocate further up the chain of command counts as mutiny, particularly when you’re trying to compare it to a guy looking to use force to overthrow the entire command structure. Hardly similar in my mind.

Comment

Yes, it does perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                              Yes, it does perfectly.
                              Just makes me back Spencer even more

Comment

Working...
                              X